Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withnail stage play "a crap idea" - Richard Griffiths

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Griffiths scorns Withnail 'play'

Actor Richard Griffiths has said he is against any attempt to make a stage version of cult film Withnail and I.

"It's a crap idea," said the actor, who appeared as the flamboyant Uncle Monty in Bruce Robinson's 1987 film alongside Paul McGann and Richard E Grant. "What function would it serve, except to make someone some money?" he added.

Writer and director Robinson was quoted earlier this year calling a plan for a West End version, potentially starring Jude Law, as "scandalous". Grant, however, has been more amenable to the idea, saying he "could see it working well". Set in 1969, the film - whose dialogue is widely quoted - tells of two unemployed young actors who spend a disastrous weekend in the countryside.

Production company HandMade Films has claimed it has the necessary rights to launch a stage play but said it would not do so without Robinson's consent. "Bruce thinks there's something unworthy about the desire to make a play of it," said Griffiths, in London to promote the film version of Alan Bennett's play The History Boys. "That's fine by me. He is the creator, and if he says no it's no and that's the end of that."

Griffiths, who will be seen next year as Uncle Vernon in the fifth Harry Potter film, also explained why he stopped two performances of The History Boys to berate audience members who had not turned their mobile phones off. "For them not to have bothered indicates a disrespect for their fellow members of the audience," he told the BBC News website. "We've seen the death of good manners in my lifetime, and with it has gone all manner of care and tolerance in society."

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I saw a one man adaptation of Withnail & I at Edinburgh this year.

f***ing dreadful.

Don't think it needs a stage show to be honest, it'd just end up getting really cheesy and over-quoted by audience members. Something like the Rocky Horror Show

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Cheeky Monkey said:
Could work, Jude Law would be a good choice for either the Grant or McGann role imho.

Jude Law is pure evil and if he sullied one of my favourite characters, I'm I'm I'm just not sure what I'd do....

all I can say is "2 pints of cider, and 2 large gins, ice in the cider..."

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
n1 gull said:

all I can say is "2 pints of cider, and 2 large gins, ice in the cider..."

Sounds to me very much like you're 'demanding to have some booze' there n1 gull.

;)

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Bluejuice said:

Don't think it needs a stage show to be honest, it'd just end up getting really cheesy and over-quoted by audience members. Something like the Rocky Horror Show

Which of course started life.....as a stage show.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Cheeky Monkey said:
Sounds to me very much like you're 'demanding to have some booze' there n1 gull.

;)

And some cake. And the finest wines known to humanity...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here