Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

With permission from Bozza, an idea I thought I'd float...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No issues with the forum idea whatsoever.

All I said was that people need to adjust their expectations accordingly, to go with our new status. They can't expect things to continue merrily as they were in our previous Noddy ground with tiny crowds.
Well I for one don't expect it to be what it was before, but anything that can reduce journey times for routine matches has got to be a good thing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
However we got the 1422 from Brighton and is was busy, but not rammed.

A lot of people seem to be going earlier and that suits me fine, happy to drink in town until the last minute (1440) and then get to the ground.
But people's drinking habits for the previous two games are not going to be a good barometer for future behaviour. Nobody is going to want to get there early from central Brighton by the time October comes around. That 14:40 is going to be fecking RAMMED soon enough, IMO.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
But people's drinking habits for the previous two games are not going to be a good barometer for future behaviour. Nobody is going to want to get there early from central Brighton by the time October comes around. That 14:40 is going to be fecking RAMMED soon enough, IMO.

I do tend to agree.

At the moment people are happy to go early as it is all new and people are worried that the transport infrastructure will not cope, so they go early.

In time more and more people will leave it that bit later.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's a good idea Simster not only for us, the fans but also will provide valuable feedback to the club. Goes without saying it is much more of a challenge getting 20,000+ out and en route home than it ever was at Withdean. But important that transport beds down smoothly and as quickly as possible given the extra 8000 seats already planned.

rool

Jul 10, 2003

I guess peoples travel plans will evolve as the pre and post match habits do. That doesn't mean we can't all benefit from reading other peoples experiences of travel to and from the ground whereby some will come up with options not even considered by others.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
It's a good idea Simster not only for us, the fans but also will provide valuable feedback to the club. Goes without saying it is much more of a challenge getting 20,000+ out and en route home than it ever was at Withdean. But important that transport beds down smoothly and as quickly as possible given the extra 8000 seats already planned.

I did have this coversation on Saturday with a couple of fellas, this worries me slighty as its out of the clubs hands really, i am not sure what else they can do to enhance the travel to and from the ground, I think they have done a great job already with 4 P&R's, addtional buses and additional trains etc, but unless they are going to enlarge Falmer trian station to say handle 8 carriges from 4, and have more dedicated trians to and from Brighton, I cant see how they are going to cope with a possible 8000 addtional people in its current state. A huge car par with multiple exits on to the A27 would help, but thats not going to happen.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Two things:

a) what is there to do that doesn't involve spending yet more money?
b) If travel isn't made quick and easy, you are writing off more than half a day for a football match. Not ideal if you have a family.

This. I was fortunate enough to be able to stay behind in the North concourse after the game on Saturday, and by the time I'd spent an hour and a half drinking and having a laugh, the queues at the station had died down. But I will not have that luxury (either time-wise or financially) every Saturday, so it will be interesting to see what I end up doing on subsequent weeks.

Does anyone know what the plan is on rail segregation for games against bigger sides / those with a rep?
And will extra trains be laid on after evening games? It'll be a stretch for me to get home to south east London at all after those. I can see a few nights on people's sofas this season and guilty phone calls home to my wife :lol:

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I can't imagine anyone thought it would be the same getting to and from the Amex as it was getting to and from Withdean.

The idea of a forum is a good one, even if it's only a temporary feature for the first few months until things settle down? I'd certainly like to know what the other P&R sites are like compared to Mill Road (which gets full early on and has long queues for the return bus ride) as we'll definitely be looking to try other options over the coming weeks - the thought of standing in a queue for 30 or 40 minutes on a cold December night when its pouring down waiting for the bus back to the car isn't a great prospect if things don't improve.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I did have this coversation on Saturday with a couple of fellas, this worries me slighty as its out of the clubs hands really, i am not sure what else they can do to enhance the travel to and from the ground, I think they have done a great job already with 4 P&R's, addtional buses and additional trains etc, but unless they are going to enlarge Falmer trian station to say handle 8 carriges from 4, and have more dedicated trians to and from Brighton, I cant see how they are going to cope with a possible 8000 addtional people in its current state. A huge car par with multiple exits on to the A27 would help, but thats not going to happen.

It's very, very early days so you have to give the club and local transport an opportunity to bed things down. I'm no transport expert but the obvious things to do would be to put on more buses and especially more trains but have no idea how feasible that is. Presumably if expanding Falmer station was a realistic option they would have done that already?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
It's very, very early days so you have to give the club and local transport an opportunity to bed things down. I'm no transport expert but the obvious things to do would be to put on more buses and especially more trains but have no idea how feasible that is. Presumably if expanding Falmer station was a realistic option they would have done that already?

with football matters we all say "In Gus we Trust" and on this matter I say in Perry and Bloom we trust, they have not got a lot wrong so far and I am sure that they are already speaking with the right people about ways to improve the whole experiance of getting to and from the ground.

I am going tomorrow ngiht with my 81 year old dad and I was going to use Mill Road P&R, now I dont have a clue what to do, he cant walk for a long way and Im not sure he is going to be able to stand for 30 mins in a queue waiting for a bus, i really want him to go as I owe him MASSIVE thanks for taking me in 1980 to my first match. This will probably be the only time I can get him there, but I have no idea how to get him there!!!

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I think having a section for car sharing is a very good idea. I have a parking permit for sussex university and would be quite happy to take a couple of people from this area in return for some petrol money

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
with football matters we all say "In Gus we Trust" and on this matter I say in Perry and Bloom we trust, they have not got a lot wrong so far and I am sure that they are already speaking with the right people about ways to improve the whole experiance of getting to and from the ground.

I am going tomorrow ngiht with my 81 year old dad and I was going to use Mill Road P&R, now I dont have a clue what to do, he cant walk for a long way and Im not sure he is going to be able to stand for 30 mins in a queue waiting for a bus, i really want him to go as I owe him MASSIVE thanks for taking me in 1980 to my first match. This will probably be the only time I can get him there, but I have no idea how to get him there!!!

Spot on about Perry and Bloom.
I'll be there tomorrow night, travelling down from London so we'll see how long it takes to get away and home. Hope all goes well with your Dad.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Presumably if expanding Falmer station was a realistic option they would have done that already?

My guess is that the 'Who pays' question is a bit of a hurdle to that rather obvious solution. The club, having spent so much already, won't want a multi-million pound bill for station redevelopment.

But I don't think Albion should pay anyway. If Network Rail/Southern have got all these extra customers wanting to use a station, they are getting the revenue, and they should ensure these customers are getting a proper service. So they should pay, IMHO.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some thoughts on this (some of which I shared with the esteemed Mr.[MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] prior to this thread being born)...

1. I don't think a forum is the best approach. People won't look there. The main board will still be their first port of call. Most travel comments will be buried deep in threads about general matchday discussions.

People don't even notice stuff on the main board itself. Stickies are ignored by most. There were 6 topics on the betting game going on late last week, including stickies, and people were still saying "what's this vCash stuff?" I do genuinely despair at what the best way there is to make sure NSCers read something.

As such, I'll have a look at any vBulletin modifications I can find that might be a more suitable way of structuring this travel stuff.

2. I've been to all 3 games so far and I've been DELIGHTED at how well the travel has worked, using the train on all 3 occasions. We left the Welly on Saturday later than [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] left the BoT, and got on the first train without issue. BUT - some people are very selfish - move all away down the train and into the carriage, people, and give others a chance to get on too. We have to help each other.

3. If you want to get away on the train early, you'll probably have to leave the game before the end, or be right by the exit on the final whistle and leg it quickly. Clapping the players off and meandering down to the station is going to have you queueing - please be realistic about that.

4. ...so stay for a drink and watch the results come in if you can. It's what I've done every time so far, and I can't see that changing. Each time we've got on the first train that came along, with no time waiting around.

5. If the 'hassles', which I believe are not really hassles at all (see above), of the train are too much, just buy a season parking ticket. I don't believe they've sold out yet, and that's the way to go if the other transport options bother you.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Ahem - Gills parking voucher. (There might be more on there, I've not looked)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think a forum is the best approach. People won't look there. The main board will still be their first port of call. Most travel comments will be buried deep in threads about general matchday discussions.
Well ideally, maybe you'd have a NSC travel wiki, with a contents page featuring different routes, and people simply contribute with a review to the page under the selected journey. Unless there is a vBulletin plug-in geared at allowing easily accessible reviews?

You're right about the main board - I always go there first. Personally I think there should be links to all key resources from the main board, but you're the boss. :thumbsup:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
While I thought it would be busy was a bit taken aback by Mill Rd being full to bursting by 1.30. The queue back was expected and if anything was better than the Spurs game (seemed to be more buses getting back away from the stadium) but contemplating changing my park n ride choice. However, doubt people will get to the ground before 2 once the initial buzz dies down

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
While I thought it would be busy was a bit taken aback by Mill Rd being full to bursting by 1.30. The queue back was expected and if anything was better than the Spurs game (seemed to be more buses getting back away from the stadium) but contemplating changing my park n ride choice. However, doubt people will get to the ground before 2 once the initial buzz dies down

Seems to me that Mithras House must have been empty as the queue for Mill Road was huge compared to the Spurs game the previous week.
There was barely a queue for Mithras House so it may be worth people considering changing from Mill Road.
Plus of course all the Mill Road are single deckers (admittedly larger than normal) and Mithras House were double deckers, i guess everyone approaching from the West is using Mill Road.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As far as I can see, apart from the train station, which will always be a bit of a bottleneck, the Mill Road P&R is the only place getting major queues. I suspect that a lot of people may change their P&R preference over the next few weeks as they realise that Mill Road is not the most efficient and it will resolve the problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here