Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

With permission from Bozza, an idea I thought I'd float...

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
easy.
Before the match

get to the ground early
Drink in the bar

After the match
Drink in the bar
admire the queu waiting to get onto the staion
Have another drink in the bar
leave the ground late

Eeeeeees not complicated!

Correct. We are not a noddy side playing in front of 5000 anymore. People cannot aim to roll up at the ground at 2.55 and expect to be home by 5.15 anymore. Get there early, enjoy it and don't be in a rush to get home. I have had absolutely no problems before and after Spurs and Donn but that is because I allowed plenty of time before and after.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes I do have a family.
I'm taking 2 young kids.
No I don't live in Brighton.
And you wouldn't benefit from reading other people's experiences on specific routes? I'm genuinely surprised.

With all due respect, how on earth do you know what he will or will not want to do?

If it means avoiding standing around at Falmer station for 45 minutes, then yes, I am quite happy to have another drink at the Amex, and I'm sure that's what TMLS is getting at too. You can then jump on a train an hour or so later, and go to all the pubs you want to in town.
I was merely being cheeky towards him. Sorry, I realise that wasn't made clear.

Each to their own I guess. It's not for me though. Well, not every Saturday anyway.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd certainly appreciate a separate forum having spent quite some time searching for useful threads before Saturday. The travel wasn't a problem for me Saturday but that was more luck than judgement.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No it won't. There is no way you will be happy to do your drinking at the stadium before the game, then again after the game on EVERY Saturday match. Maybe one or the other but not both, when there are PROPER pubs in central Brighton you could frequent.

Maybe I should have said it will be MY plan old chap. Definitely hang around for a swift one or two after.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Great idea, Simster. I agree with you, transport could be an ongoing issue, and it would not only be helpful for Albion fans, but also for away fans to have a look at.

It is fair to say that Saturday was not typical. I can see a bigger rail bottleneck getting near 3pm, and also at 5pm with more people wanting to get away straight away. It is not always going to be the case people are happy to drink after at the ground in the same numbers they did for the Donny game, there is other life outside the Albion.

My route on Saturday (drive across Surrey and Sussex to Wivelsfield, then train via Lewes) was additionally complicated by the M25 problems, but it was only one of 3 or 4 options I'm going to try out in the coming weeks and months. BTW, the Wivelsfield-Lewes-Falmer bit was very smooth. I can see it getting busier.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think a separate forum is a good idea - maybe extend it to the whole AMEX experience which could then be passed onto the club i.e lack of bookies in away end, lack of sinage etc.

Anyway, for what its worth the Race Hill P&R went really smoothly. No ques at all. Plus, turning right at Village way meant that getting back to Race Hill after the game was also very quick - there wasn't the mass of cars, buses etc all trying to get on A27.

It will get better for everyone once people work out their best way home etc and the stewards also learn from their experiences. But as Edna mentions, 20,000 punters will take time to clear - as it does in every ground.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
good idea, the comment raised sort of show the value of having individual routes discussed

...The journey home involved a half hour wait for a train, then a drive out of central Brighton. Got home to Reigate two hours after the end of the game and I want to dramatically reduce that.

not to detract from the idea, just how dramatically do you expect to reduce the journey? i expect it takes the best part of an hour to drive from Brighton to Reigate anyway. i would imagine without the football, journey from Falmer via Brighton would take 1h20 - 1h30 normally, unless you park nearby and drive whole distance. park at Lewes might work, but i reckon you'd still be queing for the first train that way.

The weird thing about the train leaving Brighton, was that the front 2 carriages were almost empty when it left, whereas at the rear it was rammed. If you're getting on at London Road, it's a good shout to be at the front end of the platform for this reason.

i couldnt understand this i was at the front and didnt have a crush like previous week around 2nd carriage from the back. needs some stewarding in there.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
No it won't. There is no way you will be happy to do your drinking at the stadium before the game, then again after the game on EVERY Saturday match. Maybe one or the other but not both, when there are PROPER pubs in central Brighton you could frequent.

Apart from the WSU, drinking on the concourses for any length of time in the winter is not a very appealing prospect.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I got the route from Rottingdean to the stadium

Going there was FANTASTIC. Buses every 10 mins of so.

Coming back we made no real rush to get out the stadium (watched the players come off the pitch etc) and missed the first bunch of buses(all single deckers). We had to wait about 30 mins, maybe more for the bus.
Not a grumble as the weather was lovely and NOTHING would spoil that day, but I think the club will prob need to put on a few double deckers for this route after the match. Of course it's all a learning curve so it's not a problem.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Correct. We are not a noddy side playing in front of 5000 anymore. People cannot aim to roll up at the ground at 2.55 and expect to be home by 5.15 anymore. Get there early, enjoy it and don't be in a rush to get home. I have had absolutely no problems before and after Spurs and Donn but that is because I allowed plenty of time before and after.

I think this is the crux of the issue. Too many expecting life to go on just as if we were still at a tin pot athletics ground. There are of course people with issues that need to be addressed but there are plenty that seemed to think everything would run smoothly from day one. We used the Mill Road P&R and as the queue was long, didn't join it but went in the shop instead. Will try the other P&R to find out how they are but don't intend to start moaning until have explored all the options. I remember the journey to the Goldstone used to involve a massive queues at the Patcham crossroads to turn right up Mill Road and then again on the way back, queing at Pycombe traffic lights.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I got home to Worthing at 6.30, after leaving promptish from my seat in WSU (near the North stand) and don't think that is too bad really. Driving to Withdean and parking nearby didnt used to get back till about 6 - 6.15

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So all the people saying we're not a tin pot club anymore - is this travel forum a good idea or a waste of time?

My intention is that people considering trying out different routes will get first hand experience of that route, and may become aware of routes they had previously not thought of.

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
Great idea, allow posters to create their own threads initially, as would be difficult for the mods to cover all bases. Threads can then be merged/deleted if duplication occurs. I would be interested in :-

a) Mithras P&R
b) Mill Road P&R
c) 28/29 bus to/from Lewes
d) Train AND car parking at Lewes

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No issues with the forum idea whatsoever.

All I said was that people need to adjust their expectations accordingly, to go with our new status. They can't expect things to continue merrily as they were in our previous Noddy ground with tiny crowds.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No issues with the forum idea whatsoever.

All I said was that people need to adjust their expectations accordingly, to go with our new status. They can't expect things to continue merrily as they were in our previous Noddy ground with tiny crowds.

This.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

This as well.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

However we got the 1422 from Brighton and is was busy, but not rammed.

A lot of people seem to be going earlier and that suits me fine, happy to drink in town until the last minute (1440) and then get to the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here