Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

With permission from Bozza, an idea I thought I'd float...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The only downer on the whole Amex experience is the suck it and see approach to travel arrangements. I still don't know what my standard routine ought to be, and there must be a ton of people in this position.

So could we have a separate "Amex travel" forum? Strictly moderated, I'd suggest each thread details a specific route and people write their own experiences of that route in the thread.

So for example, "train to and from Brighton", "Mill Road park and ride" or "park and cycle to and from Stanmer Park" (I did notice the cycle spaces were underused, and so am considering a ten minute cycle to and from the ground if I can find a place to park)

Are most people already happy with their travel arrangements or are you still exploring alternatives? And if so, would this travel forum be worth having?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I think from what I have read, a dedicated travel forum would be a good idea. Personally I am fine. But there has been quite a few moans.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cheers, [MENTION=15277]kingcole[/MENTION].

Saturday was a one-off for me. I met a dozen or so people in the Battle of Trafalgar but by the time we got to the station (around 1:45) the queue looked insanely large so we hopped in a cab - needlessly as it turned out. The journey home involved a half hour wait for a train, then a drive out of central Brighton. Got home to Reigate two hours after the end of the game and I want to dramatically reduce that.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
My journey worked out excellently from Ashford by train and maybe something that other people can benefit, especially away fans who live in the South East. So, yes, a great idea.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Great idea. I am still pretty concerned about my travel arrangements baring in mind I have a 9yr old son, (sometimes it will be my 7yr old daughter). Don't fancy waiting for a train with Palace/Cardiff/Millwall fans etc with a young child in tow.........surely something will be done by the Police...???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good idea. I live round the corner from Portslade station, and thought we'd leave in good time and get the 1.10pm to Brighton...only to find it rammed, we couldn't get on! Did get on the next one at 1.25pm, then the connecting train at Brighton.

The weird thing about the train leaving Brighton, was that the front 2 carriages were almost empty when it left, whereas at the rear it was rammed. If you're getting on at London Road, it's a good shout to be at the front end of the platform for this reason.

On the return we stayed at the stadium until about 6.30pm but don't necessarily want to do this every week, and certainly not evening games. People's experience of the P bus route from Portslade would be useful as this is an alternative option for us instead of the train.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I still have no idea what to do, the club have 'lost' our travel vouchers, while I know people that got 2 sets. I am tempted to just get a refund, but if they start getting strict on them, we'll need to sort something, but lads want to chance it because out of the 3 games, they've not needed a ticket from Angmering to Falmer at all.... I can't see conductors going through the trains, and can they really control vouchers at the station with how packed the trains are? They'll want people off the platforms ASAP

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
easy.
Before the match

get to the ground early
Drink in the bar

After the match
Drink in the bar
admire the queu waiting to get onto the staion
Have another drink in the bar
leave the ground late

Eeeeeees not complicated!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Nice idea, I like it

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Great idea. I am still pretty concerned about my travel arrangements baring in mind I have a 9yr old son, (sometimes it will be my 7yr old daughter). Don't fancy waiting for a train with Palace/Cardiff/Millwall fans etc with a young child in tow.........surely something will be done by the Police...???
I have a 9yo son and a 7yo daughter who will be coming occasionally, too. The train queue was bad enough in that situation with just a handful of pissed up twats going OTT, so I am NOT doing that when Millwall or West Ham are in the queue with us.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

stay in the concourse until its easier to get home - there's loads to do .... and a big shop

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Did the cab get stuck on the A27 slip road?
No, that happened last week for Spurs, so most cabs went a different route and dropped people off near Stanmer Park - a short walk over the train bridge to the stadium. £12 from Brighton station and the route worked a treat.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
easy.
Before the match

get to the ground early
Drink in the bar

After the match
Drink in the bar
admire the queu waiting to get onto the staion
Have another drink in the bar
leave the ground late

Eeeeeees not complicated!

i think sometimes you do this sort of thing to be deliberately provocative

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
stay in the concourse until its easier to get home - there's loads to do .... and a big shop
Two things:

a) what is there to do that doesn't involve spending yet more money?
b) If travel isn't made quick and easy, you are writing off more than half a day for a football match. Not ideal if you have a family.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex

Not always practical to do this.

It's a great idea for the travel section Simster as like you Saturday was a one off as made a day of it and was in no hurry. I was in the Battle of Trafalgar too - nice pub!
Can't decide going forward if train all the way ( from Angmering) is best or park and bus or park in Coldean Lane and walk??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here