Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

With all the wealth in Brighton this shouldn't happen

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well you could always up the Council Tax I suppose. Mind you you could also means test all council tennents to make sure that they genuinely can't afford to make repairs themselves as homeowners have to.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well, council tax dodgers cost Brighton & Hove £3,215,000 annually. That would go some way to fixing part of the problem.

They should focus on the benefits of switching over to Housing Associations rather than withold repairs and force their hand!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
bhaexpress said:
Well you could always up the Council Tax I suppose.

bollox its the ****s that bullied the little kids at school and made their lifes hell that live in these houses, f*** em I say, f*** em all :)

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I was raised in council housing, and there seemed to be an unwritten rule. Simple maintenance, painting windows, outside doors, keeping the garden tidy, was your responsibility. This would include renewing the bathroom suite, and as it not an essential fitting central heating.

Yes if there are structural faults, eg roofing repairs that are an issue, fine. But surely tenants must be responsible for some of their own maintenance.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Barrel of Fun said:
Well, council tax dodgers cost Brighton & Hove £3,215,000 annually. That would go some way to fixing part of the problem.

They should focus on the benefits of switching over to Housing Associations rather than withold repairs and force their hand!

Problem is that if you don't like your housing association, you can't vote 'em out. Despicable tactics by the council if you ask me.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Dover said:

Yes if there are structural faults, eg roofing repairs that are an issue, fine. But surely tenants must be responsible for some of their own maintenance.

Trouble is (and yes maybe I am generalising) but the people living in these houses EXPECT someone else to do it. Why should they lift a finger to do it themselves.

My ex father in law still lives in a council house and its immaculate. He does all general repairs and maintenance himself or gets someone to do it. Ie pays for a tradesman himself.

Trouble is we now have generations growing up where they want to do f*** ALL And live on handouts.

Last edited:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
All the wealth in Brighton???

The problem is the wealth in Brighton is distributed about as evenly as it was in Iraq

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
burn down the houses, send all the people to live in Africa....about time we sent people back to the colonies

hey presto...problem solved.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I was brought up in a Council estate, Craven Vale actually. My parents still live there.

I think you are right. For small repairs to fences , painting etc and where modernisation comes into it, say where someone wants more than the standard i.e silver plated bathroom taps then yes the tenant does pay (obviously with safeguards for those who generally cant pay). I think this would alleviate some of the cost to councils and install some pride and a feeling of this is my home.

I think its a cop out from Council and Govt to allow the switch to a Housing Association. The level of grant will still need to be the same from Govt otherwise rents will go higher. If rents do go higher this leads to higher tax credit, income support etc. The tax payer still pays.

What is different, is that its unelected Housing Assiciations that will manage the housing stock. Yes at first glance allowing them to borrow to fund repairs seems the way forward. But remember its at a market rate of interest and whats to say that these associations will manage them competently. One thing is for sure, rents will rise.

Also what is to stop these associations from heavy armed tactics to ensure rent payment from say old ladys or other vlunerable members of society. Council estates are not soley lived in by louts etc (I feel so sorry for decent people who have to put up with them).

Why cant elected councils borrow money from Treasury (to agreed level with Central Govt) to fund these repairs. At least there is some kind of democracy involved.

This is just another cynical attempt to sweep societys most vulnerable under the carpet and no longer their problem. Brightons Labour Council should be ashamed of itself.

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Trouble is we now have generations growing up where they want to do f*** ALL And live on handouts.

Subsidised by those who want to get on, not at all the New Labour party line however.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
i live in a fairly modern council owned block, and the upkeep is generally good (hallway cleaning, gardening etc.)

what scares me is the massive black hole (£100m ?) that has suddenly appeared.. where has all the rent money been spent, and how come other places havent been inspected/repaired long beforehand?

the council cannot expect to jut fob the problem off to a housing association..

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
desprateseagull said:
i live in a fairly modern council owned block, and the upkeep is generally good (hallway cleaning, gardening etc.)

what scares me is the massive black hole (£100m ?) that has suddenly appeared.. where has all the rent money been spent, and how come other places havent been inspected/repaired long beforehand?

the council cannot expect to jut fob the problem off to a housing association..

a black hole? Where , in your ceiling?

100M to fix it....bloody hell.

This would never have happend under Thatcher.......she would have sold it long before the roof fell under disrepair.

I blame Kinnock

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I was also raised on a Council Estate (Hangleton to be exact) when admitting it wasn't the stigma it appears to be now. I am proud to say that I lived in a council house and in those days, the 70s/80s, all my neighbours were council tenants, almost everyone had both parents still together and living at home and my Mum & Dad both worked their socks off to bring up three children. All repairs, maintenance and DIY was done by my Dad with a zeal and gusto todays dole claiming layabouts wouldn't understand.

The problem is, they are no longer 'Council' estates but should more readily be called, 'Benefits' Estates. Apart from the poor sods remaining on Council estates that excercised their right to buy after working hard all their lives, the residents of these estates are largely now inhabited by lazy, workshy fat slags and their equally workshy chavvy partners plus their countless gobshite disrespectful children which enables them to claim more child benefit to pay for their fags and booze. They have no intention of working because they do not possess the skills to get a job that would pay more than the jobseekers allowance, housing benefit, child benefit and disability allowance they are usually all claiming. They expect, no DEMAND, that society owes them a living and if Society does not give it to them then they will steal it or otherwise get it by other illegal means. They are serial victims, always complaining to the police about how they have been beaten up or robbed or some other bullshit crap no one is interested and by the same token when the police do turn up they refuse to help in any way.

Not a day goes by when I do not have to attend one of their shithole houses or flats to deal with some load of bollocks that normal grown adults can sort out for themselves, or deal with the feral spotty children that they spawn who make other law abiding decent citizens lives a misery. I'm sick to the back teeth of all the fluffy soft apologists for these people and their tales of woe and poverty. They are a complete drain on society and a waste of oxygen and yet are the first to complain about all the 'immigrants' nicking our jobs and causing problems and committing crime, do me a f***ing favour, for every hardworking immigrant wanting a job and trying to better themselves I would much rather we ship out one of our own pieces of streaky piss in exchange!

And relax!

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
i think this is the total amount (see in the regus, a while back) needed to bring all the brighton/hove properties up to scratch.

this sort of figure doesnt apear overnight.. someone SURELY must have budgeted for some repairs, or noticed the growing shortfall.. or was it covered up, tihnking a transfer to a h/assoc would be a simple, quiet thing..

btw, council tenants are responsible for minor repairs themselves- leaky taps etc, though the central heating and gas boiler is centrally handled..

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
collar feeler wrote"I would much rather we ship out one of our own pieces of streaky piss in exchange!"

spot on mate,we live in wales and even the most poverty stricken of the council house residents look after their garden,no engines or old suites in the front garden,not kew but tidy and maintained. :bowdown:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Problem is that if you don't like your housing association, you can't vote 'em out. Despicable tactics by the council if you ask me.
nail on the head

That is an incredibly depressing front page story in the Argus. An we wonder what's wrong with this country. Council house tenants treated like utter dirt, our entire political system fails these people.

I had to pay for double glazing,central heating,new kitchen,new bathroom,total rewire,new garage to be built:angry:
got no sympathy for these whinging f***ing wastes of skin,get a job you lazy f***ing ****s.
"And Men will come singing from the hills,for they have provided for their own."

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
The scum (and obviously I don't mean everyone) that lives in these shithole council estates only give a f*** about themselves and making sure they've got the latest Von Chav baseball cap, or Burberry Scarf.

As far as they are concerned it's all down to the council to pay for EVERYTHING to do with the hell hole of a house they shit in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here