Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winning The Johnstone's Paint Trophy or Top 6 Finish?

One or the Other, Not BOTH

• Total voters

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Hypothetical Question Time

What would you chose if you had to pick ONE, but CANNOT have both.

A day out at Wembley and Winning a trophy, but we finish 7th or lower and dont get promoted. There will still be a chance of promotion the season after of course. Silverware over looks the fact we didnt do as well in the league this year as last.

Finishing in the top 6, but not necessarily getting promoted, but improving on the league campaign on last years 7th place/69points? The highs or lows of the play off semi final, but not winning any silverware for this season. Of course promotion means no more JPT

Which would you take??

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
JPT all the way :thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would definately prefer to improve on last seasons efforts.

Although I naturally expect us to get Johnstones paint pot GLORY, Carling cup GLORY and to the FA cup SEMIs if this does not happen.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
St Johnstone's Trophy, please.

If you'd made it Cup or Promotion, then promotion, but just 'a chance of promotion', means I'll go for the guaranteed day out.

At the end of the day, I'll still enjoy the GOOD league games, regardless of which division we're in, whereas its the big days you'll ultimately remember.

25 years ago I had days at Highbury and Wembley that I still remember vividly. I don't recall the league games from past seasons any differently based on which divisions they were in.

In another 25 years' I'd still remember seeing my team lift a trophy at the new Wembley, a lot more vividly than losing to Carlisle over two legs in a 3rd tier play-off semi final.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
JPT, top 6 either means we are promoted (imo wait for Falmer as we would come straight back down) or loose in the p/offs and loose mmentum next season

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I find it difficult to decide. I lean towards a top 6 finish because it gives us a chance of Wembley or promotion.

However if we finish in the top 6 but lose in the play-offs, we are no better off than last season, and it would mean nothing as far as the following season is concerned.

I simply don't understand how any Albion supporter can say they don't care about the JPT or Carling as some have said. It might not be as important as the league but it's the Albion and I want them to win everything.

The FA Cup Final in 83 was one of the best days in my life but we got relegated that season. What do I remember most?

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i really couldnt care less about the jpt...hope we go out very soon

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I am surprised at the negativity surrounding the JPT. Like Knotty, I want us to win everything. I know that it isn't going to happen, but I still want to win it all!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Top 6 finish would mean we've played well consistently over the season, so that. We could get to the JPT final playing well in four games, we could do that and get relegated.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I do LOVE the JPT as it's the one match in the season where I couldn't honestly give a monkeys' if we win or not. I mean what's in it for us? A bit of prize-money (that probably won't cover the costs of staging the early rounds) and the chance to rattle around a half-empty Wembley with a load of bobble-hatters from some tinpot northern club.

Consequently I wouldn't be adverse to an early mercy-killing so we can concentrate on the important competitions - like the League Cup.

PS - This is just my opinion, I appreciate others don't share it. If you're excited about the prospect of winning it then fair play to you.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Top 6 finish would mean we've played well consistently over the season, so that. We could get to the JPT final playing well in four games, we could do that and get relegated.

I hadn't looked at it like that. I change my vote. I like the sound of seeing us play well all season.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
JPT all the way

If we get promoted we will come strait back down as this team coluld not stay up and it would be a season of mysery.

JPT means a day out in London and a nice bit of silverware for us to win!

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
I simply don't understand how any Albion supporter can say they don't care about the JPT or Carling as some have said.

Carling Cup is a different story - massive cup, europe as a prize, all the big prem teams included etc etc... i LOVE our little cup run there.

JPT - shit cup in my eyes, all the crap teams in one crap cup, a trip to wembley would be great, granted, but it will be about 1/4 full and full of the jolly "big-day-trippers" and their flasks so not exactly a great day out - even if you WIN, you get 250k (nice) but thats it.

to me that cup is f***ing embarassing and a great excuse for us to get the hell out of league 1 pronto!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here