Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 8 to classic windows look recommendations?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
My mum finally got herself a new pc recently (to fit in with the decor) and as predicted by me has been well and truly confused by the new windows 8 lay out.

I see there are a few programs to make 8 look more like a classic windows set up. Anyone else had any experience of using them, any recommendations?

(please don't suggest my mum persists with the new look, it took a decade of (im)patient coaching to get skype up and running)

many thanks

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Bought my son a laptop for Christmas (running Windows 8). It has a tile labelled "Show Desktop" (or something similar)... if you just click on that it reverts to the familiar windows look..

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Bought my son a laptop for Christmas (running Windows 8). It has a tile labelled "Show Desktop" (or something similar)... if you just click on that it reverts to the familiar windows look..

That is what I do. Had my new laptop for a few days now and still hate windows 8. Bloody impossible finding things like the control panel!

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I bought a new Win 8 laptop yesterday and finally got my iTunes working! Slowly getting used to it but annoys me when it swaps to another tile because the cursor is near a corner. Either way its better than my old vista!
Oh and control panel: swipe in from right hand side of touchpad, settings, control panel.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
I bought a new Win 8 laptop yesterday and finally got my iTunes working! Slowly getting used to it but annoys me when it swaps to another tile because the cursor is near a corner. Either way its better than my old vista!
Oh and control panel: swipe in from right hand side of touchpad, settings, control panel.

Cheers pal.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Start8 by Stardock or the opensource and free Classic Shell, both will return the classic start menu and boot direct to Desktop, allowing you to bypass and completely forget about the Metro nonsense.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I found that it takes a bit of time getting used to, however once you get the hang of it is very easy to use. Anyone brought a touchscreen and tested it yet? Im awaiting a delievery of one from Dell.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Thanks everyone. I put classic shell on it. Much more mum user friendly now.

Did find the "putting the cursor in the corner" a tad irritating but found that "windows, C" was a simpler way of getting the "charms" up (charms - what a posy term). Have configured my desktop how I like to use with shorcuts and bypass the Windows 8 tile nonsense for the kids who want to play with it on a tablet by using the desktop icon previously mentioned.

Can't see why I would want to get my grubby fingermarks all over the nice new screen I bought with my pc and if I am using a keyboard to input stuff why would I want to keep poking at the screen as well to do things?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here