Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 8 or a tablet?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Anyone got Windows 8?

My laptop is about to conk out, and I can't decide whether to get a new one or to join the tablet revolution that everyone seems to be banging on about.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Depends totally on what you use your laptop for.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Sorry to hijack the thread to an extent, but i've got a similar issue, and saves blocking up the main board. My laptop's past it, and I need a new one for upcoming exams/coursework deadlines (battery life, wifi connection etc are all shocking).

I've only got around £300. What's the best deal out there? I'm no good with computers, but the old man seemed to think this was decent value for money: Dell Inspiron 15 3520 Laptop - 15.6ins - Celeron B820 Processor - 500GB HDD | Laptops | ASDA direct

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Depends totally on what you use your laptop for.

Facebook, Twitter, word processor stuff, Football Manager (signing players who aren't crap), naked ladies, and moaning like f*** about my football team on forums.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Facebook, Twitter, word processor stuff, Football Manager (signing players who aren't crap), naked ladies, and moaning like f*** about my football team on forums.

Yes, a Windows RT tablet will suffice. No problem.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Only problem with a tablet is a laptop will be more powerful as it has more space to hold necessary components.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Only problem with a tablet is a laptop will be more powerful as it has more space to hold necessary components.

WW's needs are well within what a tablet can handle. If he was doing web production or movie editing or graphic design, a laptop would be better.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
WW's needs are well within what a tablet can handle. If he was doing web production or movie editing or graphic design, a laptop would be better.

Certainly don't find myself doing any of that. Although I do help with the odd blog.

What's typing like? can't imagine not having keys

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Certainly don't find myself doing any of that. Although I do help with the odd blog.

What's typing like? can't imagine not having keys

My mum has just got a new Win8 touch screen laptop because she wanted keys for writing document's where as my brother is loving his mini Ipad. If i was you i would get down one of the shops maybe Apple store and PC world and give both a go.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'd never personally recommend a tablet to someone as a replacement for a PC outright, there's just too much stuff you can do on a PC you can't do on a tablet that you may well want/need sooner rather than later, even if it isn't immediately apparent.

Get yourself a cheap laptop, Windows 8 is a pile of garbage so get Windows 7 if you can.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's interesting that Microsoft are making such a big deal about the keyboard when the keyboards for other tablets are also available.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I'd never personally recommend a tablet to someone as a replacement for a PC outright, there's just too much stuff you can do on a PC you can't do on a tablet that you may well want/need sooner rather than later, even if it isn't immediately apparent.

Get yourself a cheap laptop, Windows 8 is a pile of garbage so get Windows 7 if you can.

Win 8 is still in development as a software with loads of new apps in development, but make no mistake that is the future and where windows are invested time and money. Not Win7.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

That's actually probably good advice. Simply, I don't know what I can't do on a tablet, and I don't know whether I'll like the keyboard either.

I've got Windows 7 at the moment, but just feel that if I'm going to be forced into getting a new machine, should I be looking to upgrade, rather than just getting a faster version of what I already own.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Win 8 is still in development as a software with loads of new apps in development, but make no mistake that is the future and where windows are invested time and money. Not Win7.

It appears that Windows 8 doesn't seem properly finished as it's just a shell for the old Windows. From videos I have seen, at some points you are still trying to close windows by clicking on their corners, but using your fingernails instead of cursor. Still, the new elements look very slick and original. They just need more of them.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
You won't be able to play the full version of football manager on a tablet and it won't be the best for working on word documents, useable at best but annoying.

Windows 8 is okay, basically widows 7 with a tablet based display which you never have to see if you preferred the old desktop.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
It appears that Windows 8 doesn't seem properly finished as it's just a shell for the old Windows. From videos I have seen, at some points you are still trying to close windows by clicking on their corners, but using your fingernails instead of cursor. Still, the new elements look very slick and original. They just need more of them.

It does seem like a very good system that Win have raced it out as their main compition to Apple and their tablets, the only reason we got Win8 now was my mums laptop was on its last legs and we wanted to get a system that had had years of use in-front of it. Give it a year and Win tiles format will be very good in my opinion. Also Win8 does run the old operating system within it which is very helpful.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thats far from a fore gone conclusion. its a kludge to keep Microsoft in the main growth market of tablets, but still stay with traditional laptops/desktops, while keeping one OS. only they havent as theres the Windows 8 for x86 and Windows RT for ARM (tablet) forms. across all reviews and anecdotes, the story is fairly consistant: Windows 8 Metro is a decent GUI and many new features work well, but using the desktop apps is clunky and unpleasant. in other words they should have kept it seperate, say a Windows Metro and Windows Pro.

the most telling problem is that they dont even call it Metro but havent come up with a new name for the non-desktop interface. also the chap leading the new OS, Sinofsky, left mid-way through this massive rollout, "by mutual consent" and we all know what that means. its all rather knee jerk and experimental and i wouldnt be at all surprised if they binned it on the desktop edition for Windows 9.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here