• A bit of both

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • I am not voting

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
After Clegg nailing the opinion polls this week, questions have been raised about the standard of candidate locally for the Lib Dems.

I think he may well suffer if people vote locally, rather than the more presidential national vote.

So how will you chose your vote?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For me, it's an easy decision. I have met Celia Barlow many times, and she has helped my family on more than one occaison. She automatically gets my vote, and that was even before the expenses scandal came out, and she wasn't involved in any way.

Vote Celia Barlow! :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
See, I'm in two minds here.

On the one hand, on the basis of what I've heard from him on a national level, I'd vote for Clegg/Lib Dems.

On the other, I have to question whether I can bring myself to vote for Norman Baker.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm not even sure who my local options are. I live in a nice village and apart from stopping people breaking the bus stop there's not much that the local politicians do here.

My vote will be a National one, I will vote for the party that will benefit me and the Leader who makes me most confident that he can lead us out of the recession successfully

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think that I'd almost certainly be voting Libdem on the party's national policies, although my local MP in Manchester (libdem) seems like a good bloke and gets involved in plenty of local issues as well.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Nicolas Soames is a pleb, so the obvious choice is to vote Lib Dems which I would NEVER have thought doing before the election campaign.

Having listened to Clegg and Cable, and reading through some of their manifesto I would have voted Lib Dems Nationally and Locally regardless of the fat bastard who is our current MP.

1066 seagull

Sep 25, 2008
Brighton
I think people like Frutos above will have a profound influence of the outcome of this election. The guy is in two minds and his vote really is up for grabs. Clegg does seem a level headed and intelligent chap but who knows if his foot troops can deliver the expectations of the electorate. I noticed that the odds for the Libs have gone from 200-1 to 7-1 in the last few days. That alone says something very different is in the air at the mo. My own mother, who has voted Labour all her life hinted to me yesterday she may vote for the Libs this time round. All this from what appears to be a solitary TV program. Television drug of the nation...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think people like Frutos above will have a profound influence of the outcome of this election. The guy is in two minds and his vote really is up for grabs. Clegg does seem a level headed and intelligent chap but who knows if his foot troops can deliver the expectations of the electorate. I noticed that the odds for the Libs have gone from 200-1 to 7-1 in the last few days. That alone says something very different is in the air at the mo. My own mother, who has voted Labour all her life hinted to me yesterday she may vote for the Libs this time round. All this from what appears to be a solitary TV program. Television drug of the nation...

Cameron has dropped an almighty bollock in agreeing to these debates. Even if he performs well, it still gives the Libdems an equal footing and will cause people to have a serious look at their policies.

Neither.

It's not about the personalities of the party leaders - because it's not a presidential election. And it's not about what the candidates are offering local people - because it's a national election.

It's about the different policies of the competing parties - we are electing a national parliament that will determine a national government.

Call me old-fashioned, but that's how I've always voted.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Neither.

It's not about the personalities of the party leaders - because it's not a presidential election. And it's not about what the candidates are offering local people - because it's a national election.

It's about the different policies of the competing parties - we are electing a national parliament that will determine a national government.

Call me old-fashioned, but that's how I've always voted.

I agree, however, what happens in my local area will affect the whole country if action isn't taken. Where I live there is a way above average percentage of immigrants, very often I am the only Englishman in the rest room at work or in my local shop. Everyone seems to deny there is an immigration problem but if the rest of the country falls into the same state as my area you will see there is.

I agree, however, what happens in my local area will affect the whole country if action isn't taken. Where I live there is a way above average percentage of immigrants, very often I am the only Englishman in the rest room at work or in my local shop. Everyone seems to deny there is an immigration problem but if the rest of the country falls into the same state as my area you will see there is.
I'm glad to see that you still see the election as being about policies.

I don't know where you live, but I guess you have a choice of policies available to you. Will you vote for the party that has policies aimed at ensuring that people can live peacefully alongside each other? Or the party that promises to remove immigrants from where they are living? Or the party that will restrict future numbers of immigrants?

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
I'm glad to see that you still see the election as being about policies.

I don't know where you live, but I guess you have a choice of policies available to you. Will you vote for the party that has policies aimed at ensuring that people can live peacefully alongside each other? Or the party that promises to remove immigrants from where they are living? Or the party that will restrict future numbers of immigrants?

I do not look for a party that will remove immigrants from where they are living, I do think we should all live peacefully alongside each other. But, in my own experience I have witnessed the resentment of English people being called racist every time they oppose something they disagree with. For immigration to work people need to live and work together and the biggest culprits are the Asians. They all want to live with each other, they will only employ Asian builders to work on their homes, whenever possible they will only buy from Asian suppliers for their shops. They need to stop living in their ghettos like Southall, Slough, and Bradford and mix. Current statistics state more children are being born of immigrants then English. If we cant intigrate better then restrictions have to be applied.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Nicolas Soames is a pleb, so the obvious choice is to vote Lib Dems which I would NEVER have thought doing before the election campaign.

Having listened to Clegg and Cable, and reading through some of their manifesto I would have voted Lib Dems Nationally and Locally regardless of the fat bastard who is our current MP.

im not a big fan of soames, but having met that tierney women as well i really cannot stand her. not that it matters as i will be voting in cheltenham!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
right , I live in Brighton but have no idea who my local possible candidates are - I was expecting a barriage of "vote for me"s but as yet , nothing

so at the moment I'm thinking nationally with my vote

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
For me, it's an easy decision. I have met Celia Barlow many times, and she has helped my family on more than one occaison. She automatically gets my vote, and that was even before the expenses scandal came out, and she wasn't involved in any way.

Absolutely 1 million percent with you Ninja.

She is an excellent MP and helped my youth football club loads when we needed to get a new pitch.

A person who knows the local area very well...Sadly however, I think she'll lose her seat because people seem to think that they're voting for a Prime Minister and not a local MP!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wont be voting in the local election as the party I would vote for isn't standing. I am voting in the General Election on a national basis not local policies .

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Just for the record: :thumbsup:

Wikipedia:

2009 Parliamentary Expenses Scandal

Celia Barlow

She is one of many UK politicians to be implicated in the 2009 Expenses Scandal, spending £28,000 on her second home, then "flipping" it and using it as her main residence.[4] She has also been forced to repay £635 for a mortgage valuation on her main home; a breach of the expenses rules.[5]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here