Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you be watching the England game tonight?

Where will you watch England vs Croatia?

• Total voters

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Big game, and I don't know if it's the same in all the papers but there's some good focus in the (dare I say it) Mail this morning about the television coverage of England games, the lack of highlights and the general lack of accessibility to Setanta.

So, will you be watching?

(Poll on the way)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Listening on the radio

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I will be watching at home on Setanta becuase I am fortunate enough to have it.

However, I think it is scandalous that an England World Cup qualifying match should be on ANY subscription channel, let alone one which has such a low number of viewers.

As with the ECB and Test cricket, the FA have sold out to the highest bidder with no regard to the many millions who will want to watch these matches, but can't afford to.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As with the ECB and Test cricket, the FA have sold out to the highest bidder with no regard to the many millions who will want to watch these matches, but can't afford to.

Incorrect.
The FA have no sway on who buys Englands away games. Its down to the broadcasters to negotiate with the host nations FA as to who buys the rights to televise the game live. This palava is (for once) not something that can be laid at the FA's door. Setanta simply outbid Sky / BBC / ITV for the Andorra game (to the tune of £5m I believe).

As an aside, Setanta also wanted over a million quid to sell the highlights for the Andorra game - something none of the terrestrial broadcasters were prepared to pay.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Incorrect.
The FA have no sway on who buys Englands away games. Its down to the broadcasters to negotiate with the host nations FA as to who buys the rights to televise the game live. This palava is (for once) not something that can be laid at the FA's door. Setanta simply outbid Sky / BBC / ITV for the Andorra game (to the tune of £5m I believe).

As an aside, Setanta also wanted over a million quid to sell the highlights for the Andorra game - something none of the terrestrial broadcasters were prepared to pay.

I stand corrected and very surprised!

Still a poor state of affairs though, don't you agree?

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
However, I think it is scandalous that an England World Cup qualifying match should be on ANY subscription channel, let alone one which has such a low number of viewers.

I agree, I think it's ridiculous. I don't have Sentanta and I am very reluctant to buy it, althought I feel we will have to soon.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Playing footy tonight, but will watch whatever is left of the match when I get home.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I will watch the goals on the news at 10.

To be honest, normally I would be dragging my mates down the pub (often kicking and screaming and moaning that England are boring). Tonight I will be joining them in missing the game - I seem to have lost my passion to support my country. Of course, if I hear a suggestion that Cap has changed the starting line up (maybe put in Walcott or something equally exciting) I will be down the pub like a whippet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I stand corrected and very surprised!

Still a poor state of affairs though, don't you agree?

Its a bit crap, yes (although it does give an excuse for another night down the pub).

I don't think this will continue though. Setanta have less than a million subscribers right now, and I don't think they're going to get the LEAP in subscriptions they would require to justify the sums they are shelling out to get all of Englands away qualifiers exclusively. People are feeling the pinch right now. I think its a VERY small minority who would actually go and take out an extra subscription just for Englands away games (which, whilst obviously important, arn't exactly enticing after we've had the "big one" tonight).

Its a pain for the next couple of years, but I think Setanta will drop it after this when they realise people just ain't going to shell out for their crummy channel. The signal is SHITE as well - first sign of rain, and its the first to go !

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
down the boozer for me!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Mail's bit about the coverage was bizarre, they blamed it all on ITV and the BBC when Setanta were demanding a stupid amount for the coverage.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I shall be in the local, pint o'harveys and the projector

excited ..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here