Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will there be a national 'come-down' when the Games end?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
After a slow start for team GB, and wrangles about empty seats etc, the Olympics just seem to have just got better and better, day by day by day.

I'll be the first to admit that I was an Olympic sceptic before they started, even to the point where I said I probably wouldn't even bother watching. I held out for week one, but by last Saturday night I was jumping up at the TV screen, screaming on gold after gold and finally went to bed emotionally shattered.

When I look around the country, I'm still not entirely sure if it was the best use of £10bn, but that's academic now. We've hosted the Olympics, made a pretty fair job of it, and we'll never have them here again in my lifetime.

And I do know I'm going to feel like something is missing when next Monday rolls around.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I was all up for the Olympics originally. Great for prestige, great for the economy, feelgood factor etc etc. I still feel that overall it will be a good thing..........but I cannot wait for it to finish. Saturation media coverage has ruined it for me. Oh well........

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If you only started watching on Saturday you missed most of the good stuff (imho). Athletics is tedious.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
If you only started watching on Saturday you missed most of the good stuff (imho). Athletics is tedious.

Yeah the 45 minute spell of Ennis, Rutherford and Farrah was just mind numbingly boring wasn't it? I think I dozed off watching it

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
In terms of a lasting legacy, I was wandering how the various sports clubs around the country are coping with a rush of interest in new people joining, but not enough coaches or facilities to meet the demand? I appreciate that the initial interest may only be short term and then decrease, but if the government are so keen on youngsters joining sports clubs and the Olympics 'inspiring a nation', are they prepared to fund the new facilities and recruitment of coaches? Probably not.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
The worst thing about the end of the Olympics will be f***ing dreadful daytime TV ...and f***ing dreadful morning phone ins on Radio 5 ! Have to say Radio 5's coverage of the Olympics has been outstanding ...as has the TV !

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It was genuinely one of my favourite ever sporting moments

Mine too, and probably because I just wasn't expecting it, or to get caught up by it.

What with a busy job, two young kids and everything else that comes with it, Saturday night, 7:30pm, was my first opportunity to actually sit down, open a cold beer and watch some Olympics. I started off mildly interested and ended up utterly transfixed. Frankly, I was expecting nothing other than some running and jumping as I hadn't been following the Games at all. But by the end I was shattered!

The best things come along when you least expect them. That night will live with me for a very, very long time indeed.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I've been glued to the TV all week, and the only day I missed? Saturday. :nono:

I think the tabloids will be the first to instigate the doom and gloom once the games are over.
They should write more positive stuff about our althletes more often, giving the youth of today better role models.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here