Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

will the "northern echo darlington arena" be the biggest EVER non-league stadium?

Oct 25, 2003
will the "northern echo darlington arena" be the biggest EVER non-league stadium?

darlington's ground holds 25,000 people........has there ever been a bigger non-league ground?

:stadiumgeek:

Highest attendance in a match between non-League clubs: 24,526
Wigan Athletic v Hereford United, 1953–54 FA Cup Second Round

I guess that there were some bigger crowds at Wembley for events like the Amateur Cup Final, but this claims to be the biggest attendance at a match played on a non-league club's home ground.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
25000 seats yet only about 1800 go to games.

About 15 seats per person.

Not even close to Queens Park [Glasgow]. Average gate of 750, at Hampden Park [capacity 52,000]. 70 seats each! :thumbsup:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
the nicest certainly but I doubt it'll be the biggest.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I gather there is a slight possibility that they may be denied entrance to the Conference due to failing the financial requirements...it could be go directly to the Northern Premier!

Highest attendance in a match between non-League clubs: 24,526
Wigan Athletic v Hereford United, 1953–54 FA Cup Second Round

I guess that there were some bigger crowds at Wembley for events like the Amateur Cup Final, but this claims to be the biggest attendance at a match played on a non-league club's home ground.
Are you sure this was played at Springfield Park? The place didnt look big enough when we played there. Pretty amazing for a 2nd Round tie.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Are you all politicians ?

Answer the OP question, not one that you want to answer.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I think it could well be the biggest ever. However, in 1919-20 clubs like Portsmouth, Crystal Palace, Cardiff and Millwall as well as the Albion were still in The Southern League before the Third Divisions North and South were set up, so it's possible that before 1920 there was a ground with a bigger capacity than 25000 in non-league football. Since then I think it will be the the biggest.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
And Feethams was such a great, characterful old ground too. Exactly the antidote to every new ground (apart from Falmer of course) all looking exactly the same. Tsk, I dunno.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here