Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will The Amex Credibility As A Gig Venue Be Sunk By Sunday Morning?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'd suggest it will.

There's something inherently dishonest about flogging two days worth of tickets for Fatboy Slim, then telling the punters at more or less the last moment 'oh, by the way, there's no trains back, we're shutting Falmer station (and Moulsecoomb for good measure) when you need it most, but your tickets will be valid on bus routes 25, 28 and 29 blah blah blah.'

How long before the same train bright spark gets the same bright idea of shutting Falmer station half an hour before the end of Albion evening games as the easy option?

All the flak that will be dished out by the Argus over the weekend will be fully deserved IMHO.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Going to be some horror stories and yes , southern could do this for games . Ridiculous lot. Should be hauled over hot coals for this but as with all train f*** ups it has barely created a ripple of discontent

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The no train thing is an absolute disgrace, especially for people who don't live in brighton.

Last train back to London = 11.37 I think, that's barely an hour to get back to Brighton station, with several thousand others all trying to get on the same bus.

Disgusting to hold a large event in a venue so reliant on public transport, then cancel half the transport.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Tbf it's been in the argus the official website it has been announced on train platforms on the Brighton London line all week. There's notices at Brighton station. It's mad but I'll just walk part way into town and get a bus from there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wasn't it late busibodying by authorities, and not the fault of the club/Fatboy?
Health & Public Safety obsession ... a very British thing of the last 15 years.

I thought it was due to the Jubilee weekend and all the trains being involved taking people to London? The decision was Southern's.

albionite

May 20, 2009
I thought it was due to the Jubilee weekend and all the trains being involved taking people to London? The decision was Southern's.

Not true the decision was BTP's, the only thing southern are guilty off is not having enough stock to put on extra trains.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Couple of things:

If we wanted to go tomorrow, how much are tickets to sit down?
Where do you buy them from lastminute?
If you are sat down, can you wander down to the pitch for a boogie?

Btw just gone past the Amex and the lighting and huge screens look awesome

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Didn't know Moulsecoomb was shut too, where did you hear this?

No, I don't think it'll be ruined as a venue but the train thing is ridiculous. Would just stay late but want to get into a club.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Couple of things:

If we wanted to go tomorrow, how much are tickets to sit down?
Where do you buy them from lastminute?
If you are sat down, can you wander down to the pitch for a boogie?

Btw just gone past the Amex and the lighting and huge screens look awesome

Tickets are general admission and it means access to seats (im guessing lower west, north and south stands) concourses and pitch area. There about £35 still available so i assume you order on line and pick ticket up at Amex.

I suspect that assumptions were made, at the early stages of planning this, that there wouldn't be an issue with the trains. And nobody took into account the fact that Derby Day and the special events connected with the Golden Jubilee celebrations would put extra pressure on the railway - with far more travellers attending those events than will fetch up at Falmer.

I seem to recall that previous big events in Stanmer Park have also seen Falmer Station closed (as, for example, Preston Park station closes on Pride Day).

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Whilst I agree with the general feeling that the train situation is a shambles, I do think there are other factors here, which may alleviate the problem.

1 This is not a football crowd - less kids and less codgers for starters. I think there will be much less of a race to the bus queues/car parks.
2 This is not a cold wet February night with everyone off to work the next day. I think people will generally be more relaxed about a bit of waiting.
3 This is not a big surprise,anyone expecting a train ride back into town has been living under a rock the last few weeks. I expect a few disappointed Croydonites post gig.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
In answer to THPPs original question, no I don't think it will be detrimental to the Amex as a future concert venue. One of the considerations in the build of the stadium was for concerts, OK only 2 a year at the moment, but that is expected to change. Assuming the stadium puts on an excellent show regarding quality, sound, view, facilities etc, then the reputation will be built on that, not the travel. For example, the Ricoh Arena was built with the same considerations, now it is regarded as a 1st class live music venue by the acts themselves, and the Ricoh has rubbish transport links.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here