Wikileaks is slowly being taken out by the establishment

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
1. They go after the owner for rape charges
2. Paypal close services
3. Amazon close services
4. Swiss Post office freezes assets

Wont be long before they're off the air.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
They can have no complaints, the way they've been behaving. Personally, I don't use it and what i've heard of them in the last week doesn't do them any favours.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That dickhead's only got himself to blame. He keeps putting US military secrets on t'internet, what did he think was going to happen?

He's lucky they haven't got him on some phoney paedo charges like they did with Michael Jackson.

I had some sympathy for them, going into these leaks. I don't think we should implicitly trust governments to do the right thing, and part of the information that they released was in the public interest (although I accept not all of it). However I think that the info released today was a big step over the line; there was no public interest at all in revealing the information, all its likely to do is increase our enemies awareness of strategically important sites.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
What do you mean by Paypal and Amazon closing service?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The rape charge is out of the same school of tactics used to try and smear some of the more vocal critics of the illegal and immoral invasion of Iraq.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
apart from the rape allegations, which are underhand and pretty pathetic (assuming they are just trumped up, might be true), what did he expect? service providers will be served writs to suspend services where legally permissable or assumed to be complicit elsewhere. They are hardly going to take the heat, when they can just drop a service. He would have done better to not run around publicising his presence as he has recently. Wikileaks has been going for years with out much fuss, he's elevated the stakes and recieving the consequences.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
They are actually quite selective of what information they release. I don't fully trust any Government. I quite like keeping them on their toes. Good on Wikileaks.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They are actually quite selective of what information they release. I don't fully trust any Government. I quite like keeping them on their toes. Good on Wikileaks.

This. Governments aren't transparent enough and most the information released so far is not a risk to national security - it just shows what a bunch paranoid arrogant dicks the American government are. Woooo ..... revealing where BAE Systems are based - that would be the same BAE Systems you can look up in the phone book :facepalm:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If there is one thing we know about the Internet, it is once something is out there, it can never be eliminated. There are hundreds if not thousands of copies of the main cable file out there, encrypted. Mr Assange has passed the key to trusted parties and if he is taken out of circulation then the key will be put into the public domain and Wikileaks will pop up in hundreds of web mirrors around the globe.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If there is one thing we know about the Internet, it is once something is out there, it can never be eliminated. There are hundreds if not thousands of copies of the main cable file out there, encrypted. Mr Assange has passed the key to trusted parties and if he is taken out of circulation then the key will be put into the public domain and Wikileaks will pop up in hundreds of web mirrors around the globe.

The info is going to pop up whether he is taken out or not. Personally, I think any one who thinks a government is transparent must be living with their head buried in the sand up to the bottom of their feet. The point is that the US must now tighten up their security so this type of info doesn't get out there again. Assange is an idiot if he thought the US would stand idly by why he revealled all this info and will probably get what's coming to him.

Do I believe governments do things that they know the public don't like, yes but the alternative of not doing them could be disastrous. At the end of the day, we and the US have governments that we vote for in democratic elections which is a lot more than can be said for some of our perceived enemies. It might not be the a perfect system but it sure as hell beats what they have in Iran or China or North Korea etc.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Bloody governments ruin all our fun

So far I have not actually seen any explanation of what Mr. Assanges agenda actually is. Does he want to be in charge of everything or is he just a sad hacker who is trotting this stuff out just to prove how clever he is by getting it?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I enjoy wikileaks, really showing Western civilization what the true meaning of freedom is

Personally I don't feel any freer since these 'revelations' came out. The majority of them appear to be of no value to us whatsoever, they're just gossip and the private thoughts of diplomats.

Although there are a couple of cases where the US government appears to be considering illegal actions (bugging the Sec-Gen of the UN?!) these cables just seem to be an invasion of privacy and a challenge to the 'freedom' that Wikileaks appears to want to champion.

I find the while thing a bit bizarre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here