Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Widescreen tvs

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I wonder how many people went out a got a new widescreen set to watch the football on just to have black curtains down each side of the picture.:shrug: :moo:

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
Terrestrial BBC1 was in a simulated wide screen mode with shorter fatter players. BBC1 on Sky has black borders either side of the screen.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I had curtains.:hilton:

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
If you were watching BBC via SKY and you had no 'curtains' is your SKY box setup in true widescreen mode ?

Check the settings. Standard setting is not widescreen.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
ManxSeagull said:
If you were watching BBC via SKY and you had no 'curtains' is your SKY box setup in true widescreen mode ?

Manx yiu been on the juice?

Your two posts in here are totally contradictory.

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
ManxSeagull said:

When we watched through sky we had the curtains. When we watched through the arial we didn't. :cool:

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
You can set you TV / Sky box up to make the picture widescreen, but unless it is being filmed in widescreen then you will only get it simulated. Since the BBC and as fas as i know ITV are using the local portaguse filimg it will not be in widescreen since they have not got the ability to do it.

However Eurosport are filiming their own pictures so can show it in true widescreen. What i did yesterday was watch it on eurosport but had a 2nd tv for comantry.

vornieboy

May 30, 2004
Manxseagull, I,ve checked settings for picture and the options are 16.9 (default) or 4.3 or 4.3L do you know which to choose for widescreen?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
You need to force it to choose 16.9, else it will only use them if the picture is being transmitted in it. Should be able to do it when the games on. Try it on an old 80's proogram on plus or something.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
4.3L (Letterbox mode) is true widescreen.

I only recently found out that my settings were not in widescreen mode. Once changed I could see a lot more of the game when watching Premiership or Nationwide games (which are filmed in widescreen modes).

As I keep saying... Amateurish Portuguese.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here