Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wi Fi Signal boosters

Since I upgraded to a "grown up" pc rather than a laptop I have been suffering from sluggish broadband performance. This is resulting in irrational verbal abuse of my computer as it is hindering my work, more importantly it is buxxering up my Spotify listening.

I am pretty sure that it is the WiFi link which is a plug in dongle thingy, the laptop I use downstairs is still showing a reasonable speed when I do a performance test. Has anyone any suggestions other than the traditional TIOTTIOA (sounds like a volcano in Peru)? Do the little plug in signal boosters that I note come in a variety of prices on Amazon do any good and can you recommend one? I have tried moving the wireless server around which helped a little but speeds are still erratic.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
What WiFi bands can your Dongle receive? Sounds more like a shit dongle than anything else. What happens if you switch off your laptops inbuilt network card and use the USB dongle?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
What WiFi bands can your Dongle receive? Sounds more like a shit dongle than anything else. What happens if you switch off your laptops inbuilt network card and use the USB dongle?

Do a speed check on the laptop.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I use these for hardwiring the internet between upstairs and downstairs, they work very well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1354196583&sr=1-1

They also do one which boosts your wifi, if say your router is upstairs, the adapter can boost the signal downstairs, not cheap though...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281KIT-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Starter/dp/B0067GS29W/ref=sr_1_23?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1354196583&sr=1-23

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Go wired with one of these is probably your best bet. I game on my xbox with one and it works great.

Netgear 200Mbps Mini Powerline Twin Pack Ethernet Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

The problem with this solution is that this only solves the problem for one piece of hardware at a time. If you've got 3 or 4 pieces of kit in different corners of your house, you really need to boost the wifi signal throughout.

I actually use something similar to these in order to run my iMac on my wifi network but still have the problem picking up my network from my phone when I move to certain parts of the house. I do have a signal booster too, but that hasn't really been very effective.

Are there routers on the market that are notable for having an excellent signal range? I can't help thinking that the best solution would be to ditch the electrical/wired and booster solutions and simply get a top notch router instead?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The problem with this solution is that this only solves the problem for one piece of hardware at a time. If you've got 3 or 4 pieces of kit in different corners of your house, you really need to boost the wifi signal throughout.

I actually use something similar to these in order to run my iMac on my wifi network but still have the problem picking up my network from my phone when I move to certain parts of the house. I do have a signal booster too, but that hasn't really been very effective.

Are there routers on the market that are notable for having an excellent signal range? I can't help thinking that the best solution would be to ditch the electrical/wired and booster solutions and simply get a top notch router instead?

I got a cheap ethernet switch off the downstairs powerline plug (ethernet switch), so that I have a computer, the Wii and the Tivo box all hardwired on the ground floor. My wifi router (Time Capsule) is actually very good installed at first floor, but no matter how good your router is, every device that connects to the wifi takes a portion of the bandwidth. In my house, that's mine and my wife's iPhones, an iPad, and occasionally my kids iPods. By hardwiring for less portable devices, your wifi ends up being much more effective for the devices that need it.

That said, I don't know a huge amount about routers. I know that when Virgin installed a new modem/wireless router for my upgrade to XL BB, the guy installing it said to continue using the Time Capsule as my wireless router as he didn't think the virgin one was very good.

I'm using my 10 yr old MacMini downstairs plugged into the TV, SkyGo streams all the Sky channels in very good quality, and since hardwiring it I don't get any freezing etc.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I don't understand how these plug socket things work at all? I can only think it must be witchcraft.

I do need something though, I can't get any signal in my bedroom and it's driving me crazy.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't understand how these plug socket things work at all? I can only think it must be witchcraft.

I do need something though, I can't get any signal in my bedroom and it's driving me crazy.

The adapters convert the data being transferred to a frequency that doesn't interfere with, or effects the electricity that is within the wires. The data therefore happily gets transferred throughout your power circuits regardless of what the power is doing.

You have a single powerline adapter that is hardwired to your router, then any other adapters that you plug into any power socket around the home will be hardwired with a simple ethernet cable from the adapter to your device. Each device will receive the same data transfer rate, unlike wifi where the transfer rate is reduced for each device using it.

I would say it is an ideal solution to someone in your situation who wants a reliable internet connection to a room that gets either no or a weak wifi signal. Once set up, no matter how many devices are clogging up the wifi, you'll get a constant signal direct from the router.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The adapters convert the data being transferred to a frequency that doesn't interfere with, or effects the electricity that is within the wires. The data therefore happily gets transferred throughout your power circuits regardless of what the power is doing.

You have a single powerline adapter that is hardwired to your router, then any other adapters that you plug into any power socket around the home will be hardwired with a simple ethernet cable from the adapter to your device. Each device will receive the same data transfer rate, unlike wifi where the transfer rate is reduced for each device using it.

I would say it is an ideal solution to someone in your situation who wants a reliable internet connection to a room that gets either no or a weak wifi signal. Once set up, no matter how many devices are clogging up the wifi, you'll get a constant signal direct from the router.

I bought two of these yesterday online so am awaiting delivery. However it is still clear as mud how they work despite your laymans explanation. They are wireless aren't they? And you just plug them in next to your device, like PC, etc.?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I bought two of these yesterday online so am awaiting delivery. However it is still clear as mud how they work despite your laymans explanation. They are wireless aren't they? And you just plug them in next to your device, like PC, etc.?

Which ones have you bought?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Okay, they are the same ones I have.

These are ethernet powerline adapters. You will need an ethernet cable from your router to the first adapter, then your second adapter can plug in anywhere, and you will need an ethernet cable from that to plug into the ethernet port of whatever device you are using. This particular one does not create a wireless network - it creates a wired network.

When pairing the adapters I had a bit of trouble, but when pairing, plug them into the same double socket and they will pair properly. You can then unplug them and use them where you want. If you want more than 1 device wired from the 2nd adapter, you could use one of these ethernet switch.

This is actually the kit that creates a wifi from the hardwired power circuit - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281KIT-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Starter/dp/B0067GS29W/ref=pd_cp_computers_3

This has the same first adapter connected via ethernet cable from the router, but has the second adapter when plugged in receives the data from your power circuits but creates a wifi signal instead of needing a wired ethernet cable connection. This is also available on it's own if you already have a powerline network - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Access/dp/B0067GS0YO/ref=pd_sim_computers_2

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Thank you mate [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] ... that does make sense now!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
TAre there routers on the market that are notable for having an excellent signal range? I can't help thinking that the best solution would be to ditch the electrical/wired and booster solutions and simply get a top notch router instead?

there will be a power limit i reckon its pretty low, cant see that all wifi base stations would use it. Wifi is supposed to be good for 100m, but thats in the open. the problem with houses is stuff. if you're the other side of the house with an RSJ or water pipes between you and base station, you're buggered. placeing a relay by way of power line adapters in each room is a really good way to solve such a problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here