Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why were we lumping it tonight ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Delighted with the 3 points, the table is looking ridiculous, and we have just finished off what looked like a horrendously hectic make-or-break month with yet another win. So I am NOT complaining, but...

...why are we playing differently to the way that got us into this position ? The pitch was fine, and you could see from the opening 10 minutes we had the measure of them. But then in the first half in particular, instead of dropping back and stroking the ball around in our usual manner, the back 4 instead started pushing right up near the halfway line for Casper to boot it long into some head-tennis. Or when we had the ball in defence, instead of bringing it out, Greer was lumping it vaguely down the wing or playing endless long, high diagonals for Noone or Glenn to challenge for in the air. Inevitably it just kept coming straight back at us, but then time and again we'd do the same. Its like we decided to play Dagenhams game instead of our own. We were expending so much energy chasing hopeful passes, that just ain't us.

Fortunately we were still far too good for them in the end and despite never really getting going, we never really looked like we'd LOSE the game. But I honestly thought we made the game doubly hard for ourselves just through reducing ourselves to their level, for no apparent reason.

I'm proud of our position in the table, but I'm also JUST as proud at the manner in which the team has played to get us there. Lets get back to passing the ball, its what we do best, and its what teams have struggled all season to contain.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Easy..... The pitch was fine??? Are you for real?! Terrible surface, it was so hard you could see dust fly up when players kicked the ball, and whenever the ball rolled along the floor you could visibly see it bobbling. That is why play went a little longer and further than normal.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Any ball on the deck was bobbling around like a bloody balloon, no chance to knock it around nicely on that mess.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Erm, that was probably the worst pitch i have seen in YEARS.

Like playing on bumpy concrete.

Disgraceful pitch.

Really ?
I've seen a hell of a lot worse (Watford for starters). It didn't seem to cut up at all. The pitch at Notts County - wait till we get a load of that.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Really ?
I've seen a hell of a lot worse (Watford for starters). It didn't seem to cut up at all. The pitch at Notts County - wait till we get a load of that.

Thats the point, it was too frigging hard to cut up!!!! Dont make the mistake in thinking green grass makes a nice pitch. It doesnt!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy..... The pitch was fine??? Are you for real?! Terrible surface, it was so hard you could see dust fly up when players kicked the ball, and whenever the ball rolled along the floor you could visibly see it bobbling. That is why play went a little longer and further than normal.

my eyesight ain't what it used to be then I guess. If we can still win playing like that then there ain't much wrong, but I was tearing my hair out at some of Greers lumps.

That bloke from Southampton was there. Gus wanted to be sure he understands how we play and how we got to be top of the league. It'll make for a much fairer contest on 23 April.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
The pitch may have been GREEN, but it was about as flat as Brighton beach.

Anyone who can't see that needs to get down to Specsavers in the morning along with that shite ref

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That bloke from Southampton was there. Gus wanted to be sure he understands how we play and how we got to be top of the league. It'll make for a much fairer contest on 23 April.

:lolol:
That was one of the theories doing the rounds - we were HUSTLING

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I haven't seen us kick it up field aimlessly like that for many a month. I have to put it down to the pitch which seemed very dry and bumpy.

It certainly didn't suit Craig Noone who had his worst game since he joined us (but still got a vital assist). I'm convinced that he would have beaten a fair few players on a decent pitch.

In fact our entire midfield were very poor in the first half on that pitch. Not one of Dicker's finest (or Bennett or Bridcutt come to that).

But we still won! 83 points! God, I'm happy!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The pitch was absolutely f***ed easy, far worse than Watford.

I shall leave it at that then and blame all the hoofball entirely on the pitch.

Thankfully that Notts County game on the last day isn't going to matter a jot, because that pitch will make Dagenhams look like a billiard table.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I shall leave it at that then and blame all the hoofball entirely on the pitch.

Thankfully that Notts County game on the last day isn't going to matter a jot, because that pitch will make Dagenhams look like a billiard table.

However, everyone else has blamed the pitch yet in the second half we passed it much more and looked a better side. I feel the pitch combined with a fear factor of being so close contributed to the hoofball. What was clear is that no matter how shocking the pitch is we are not set up to play long so we should play passing football and hope for the best

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Gus said it was the pitch that stopped us playing. Gus said he changed the way we played because of it. Gus has led us to 83 points and almost certain promotion. I believe him :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As Pantani says, we certainly improved in the 2nd half when we cut down on the humping.

We're plenty good enough to keep the ball against the likes of Dagenham. In my honest but humble opinion I do not believe we need to lower the standard of our play to that of the opposition just because we're not playing on a bowling green. But then I've not just led that team to 8 wins on the spin and the L1 Championship, so I think I'll just shut up and enjoy the ride.

:)

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Agree we don't like hoofball,but not a big pitch,rather we kept the ball down...but at this stage,I'll take 1-0 anyday....SEAGULLS!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A few reasons why we lumped it last night. As mentioned above the pitch was poor. Even slowly rolling it was bobbling all over the place, which would of made back passes back to the keeper particularly dangerous (think Paul Robinson). The bounce was like an old plastic pitch.

Another reason in my opinion is that most of the season we have played with 3 central midfielders, so we have been able to move the ball gradually through midfield and retain possession a lot easier. Starting Noone & Bennett wide meant we only played two and one of these Dicker had a shocker. Thought Bridcutt was better but almost playing as a lone midfielder. I think Poyet noticed this and moved Bennett more centrally help with this.

I have a feeling Noone & Bennett will alternate more now, until we can work on a style of play which accomodates both. 4-5-1 a possibility I would imagine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here