Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why it is CRITICAL to keep the pressure on Prescott

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Two quotes in today's Norma Jean Baker article in The Argus:

1. From Des Turner (Labour MP, Brighton Kemptown)

"I expect the result by Christmas and certainly a formal announcement before the election"

2. 'A spokesman for Mr. Prescott's department said he had no idea when the inquiry would take place'

So there we have it. No start date for the inquiry, but the result by Christmas.

HOLD Prescott to these dates. He's more or less guaranteed a smooth ride through the Party Conference now - not a career politician without learning a few tricks about timing eh? - but as soon as an election is announced, The Seagull Party should be already warmed up on the touchline, candidates selected, tactics agreed, deposit funding sorted etc. If there is no formal announcement made by the time an election is called, the Seagull Party should formally stand at that election. (If a YES announcement is made just before the election, the Seagull Party can then formally withdraw and f*** the deposit)

There will no doubt be apologists on NSC for any delay, and who will say it's a crap idea to rock the boat so close to an outcome, but I'd say grande bolleaux to that school of sloppy thinking. The time for not saying boo to a goose 'in case we jeopardise Falmer' is long gone, especially as Prescott now seems to be operating under the Nixon-Agnew school of politics which states basically 'Get Them By The Balls And Their Hearts And Minds Will Follow'. OFF YER KNEES! FIGHT FOR THE FUTURE!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have to agree with that. We need to at least have ground work prepared just in case JP is playing silly buggers.

I personally dont think he is, but if this new inquiry takes more than a few month id start to get pretty concerned.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Not forgetting to ensure that the arguments against the alternative sites are absolutley cast-iron, and that the public are well informed of them. We must ensure the residents at each location are aware of the arguments against the viabilty of their local site and that they contribute in large numbers to the re-opened Inquiry.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Stuff this 'Seagulls Party' nonsense. We've already got pro-Falmer MPs and a pro-Falmer Council. This has gone far beyond a mere planning issue and is now a matter of Democracy. If Falmer gets turned down the political process will have failed us. In that case we don't need a political party, we need a terrorist organisation.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Brovian said:
This has gone far beyond a mere planning issue and is now a matter of Democracy. If Falmer gets turned down the political process will have failed us. In that case we don't need a political party, we need a terrorist organisation.

Or maybe just a local political party that was in touch with what might deliver huge benefits to the local people it represented: Like (just off the top of me head)

a) A new community stadium at Falmer
b) Full pedestrianisation of London Road
c) Congestion charge in Central Brighton
d) Making those councillors responsible for presiding over a quarter century neglect of the West Pier foot the bill for its demolition

Back of the net!

Grimsby Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Grimsby
Hang on a minute Tom, Des Turner is only speculating and as such his opinion cannot be deemed to be accurate Gvt. intentions.

Only a start date can by officially declared. The inquiry itself cannot have a predetermined close date.

Seagulls party? More details please.

As for Prescott, if every Seagulls fan was to send him one letter per week (sent on different agreed days) you might be suprised as to the impact that such a tactic might have.

How about a NSC standard letter? Simply add own name and address, print, sign and send it.

The cost of one first class stamp per week shouldn't cause anyone any problems.

Are we up for it NSC'ers?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Grimsby Seagull said:
Hang on a minute Tom, Des Turner is only speculating and as such his opinion cannot be deemed to be accurate Gvt. intentions.

Only a start date can by officially declared. The inquiry itself cannot have a predetermined close date.

Just about HAD IT UP TO HERE with going cap in hand to JP. The fucker might get reshuffled tomorrow thereby removing the decision neatly from HIS back yard. Fair enough, 'the inquiry itself cannot have a predetermined close date' but if that close date even LOOKS like being later than the date of a General Election, then we can all forget Falmer cos the seats will either be won or lost and the impetus will have gone for another four or so years. Which will probably be too late to secure the club's future.

All I'm saying is take the fight TO these people. A little less conversation, a little more ACTION.

My gut feeling is that Des Turner is right. We'll get a decision by Christmas.

The reason the ODPM don't know when the Public Inquiry will start is that the arrangements have been put into the hands of the Planning Inspectorate. There is already a Case Officer who has been appointed by the Inspectorate and she is charged with consulting the various parties about the arrangements for the Inquiry, including (no doubt) the date. The Albion will be involved in those discussions.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Cheers to Lord B and Desert Orchid for cool clear heads and hard fast info in the face of THPP's incoherent well-meant ranting :clap: :clap:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tom Hark said:
Cheers to Lord B and Desert Orchid for cool clear heads and hard fast info in the face of THPP's incoherent well-meant ranting :clap: :clap:
YOUR incoherent ranting! I'm the one advocating blowing things up! :lolol:

Seriously though you raised three issues viz:

Not everyone who is in favor of a) would be in favor of b) and c). That to me is the problem with a 'Seagulls Party' - once you try and move outside the narrow issue of Falmer to make it more of a 'Community Party' as I think you were suggesting you start to run into divisions.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tom Hark said:
Or maybe just a local political party that was in touch with what might deliver huge benefits to the local people it represented: Like (just off the top of me head)

d) Making those councillors responsible for presiding over a quarter century neglect of the West Pier foot the bill for its demolition

Back of the net!

The only one I agree with is (A)
b & c are too ridiculous to even comment on.
d . The 'pier' should have been scrapped years ago, when it first went into decay.

I am glad to see that NATIONAL HERITAGE have now seen the light and withdrawn support for the rebuilding and not before time.

Those in favour of the restoration should foot the bill for its complete demolition.

Last edited:

Desert Orchid said:
The case officer is Sian Evans - - if anyone fancies checking the progress or otherwise of this public inquiry. But for God's sake, please be polite.
And don't expect her to know anything about the issues or have any sort of opinion about the merits of the application.

That's not her job.

In fact, don't phone her at all, unless it's a genuine request for information about the arrangements.

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Lord Bracknell said:
And don't expect her to know anything about the issues or have any sort of opinion about the merits of the application.

That's not her job.

In fact, don't phone her at all, unless it's a genuine request for information about the arrangements.

Well said as always Brackers. If people start to hassle her it can only be bad for the club. we have been voted the best fans in the land so lets not start turning into a bunch of tosser's and upsetting everyone.

Maybe I'm being a bit over-cautious here. But rather than risk anything going wrong, I've deleted the telephone number posted by Desert Orchid.

If anyone wants it for a productive purpose, PM me and I'll let you have it.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Not in the slightest Brackers. Even we have a few idiots that think if they hassle her they will get a no decision on Falmer. How many Nimby's use this site anyway :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here