Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is this man not in jail?

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Before I start, I'm not part of the Daily Mail 'hang em high' brigade, but came across this story in the Argus this morning.

Tom Bowles, 26 attacked his girlfriend in a Brighton street, broke her nose and she needed 18 stitches in a 5cm cut

AND HE WAS GIVEN A 12 MONTH PRISON SENTENCE SUSPENDED FOR 2 YEARS......

To me this is f***ing ridiculous

I know there are police on this site, so can someone tell me why they think he would get a suspended/short sentence?

Angry from Crowborough

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Havent got a clue of the facts, but smashing his girlfriends head in makes be not kinda like the fella.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was there a history of her attacking him?
Is he 5' 2", and she 6'3" and 19 stone?
Were they both high on crack at the time?
Do you know any more details?

(arguing for the sake of it - I'm sure he probably is just scum...)

chops

Egg chaser & hack
Jan 4, 2011
Christchurch, NZ
What has sentencing got to do with the police?

I'm sure he's just asking for a police opinion as they are likely to know how the sentencing system works, what with them being involved with the justice system and all that.
Just because they don't hand out sentences it doesn't stop them from understanding the way the process works...

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Do you know the whole story, or just what you read in the paper ? I know nothing of it, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions without knowing more facts.

Of course I don't know the whole story........

Just commenting on why someone whom I would have thought should be in jail for attacking a woman is not.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Was there a history of her attacking him?
Is he 5' 2", and she 6'3" and 19 stone?
Were they both high on crack at the time?
Do you know any more details?

(arguing for the sake of it - I'm sure he probably is just scum...)

Maybe he works for one of the emergency services??? - on second thoughts, if he did work for them then she would have got 5 years for repeatedly headbutting his fists so it can't be that.

:jester:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Of course I don't know the whole story........

Just commenting on why someone whom I would have thought should be in jail for attacking a woman is not.

Just saying, without knowing more, how can you judge. Obviously not right if it was as reported, but believe it or not, the papers don't always print the whole story.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Police arrest and gather evidence. Cps prosecute. Courts sentence.
He will have been sentenced according to the guidelines after reports prepared by the probation service. The sentencing judge (it's a 12 month sentence so it will be Crown court, not mags) will have first determined that it crosses the custody threshold and then considered whether it is possible to suspend and attach associated orders such as a curfew, supervision, unpaid work etc.
Unfortunately the papers rarely report all the facts of anything but the highest profile cases and the often get that wrong.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A few years ago I was a prosecution witness in a similar case. I'd been in a nightclub in Bristol when a guy attacked a girl; she was a complete stranger to him. When I saw what was happening I stepped in and managed to restrain him until the bouncers intervened. He left her badly bruised with a broken nose and missing tooth.

At the trial (which took place a year later!) myself and several other eye witnesses described what happened. The jury found him guilty.

12 month Suspended sentence.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
The courts have to adhere to sentencing guidelines set by the Home Office. Just like the Police who are told they must Caution more offenders and deal with others in a way that prevents the courts getting over used, so the courts are being ordered to use non custodial sentences more to prevent the prisons becoming even more overcrowded.

Sometimes it doesn't make sense but generally when something hits the headlines it is because the press don't publish all the facts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here