Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why is poyet not involved with transfers and contracts anymore?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Where have you been?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Stephenson is the guy we poached from Watford who's primary role is identifying transfer targets, and he's very highly rated at what he does.

Apparently he never makes a recommendation until he has seen the target play a minimum of six times.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Stephenson is the guy we poached from Watford who's primary role is identifying transfer targets, and he's very highly rated at what he does.

Apparently he never makes a recommendation until he has seen the target play a minimum of six times.

Its a great idea in my opinion, after 4 or 5 times being watched, he then recommends to GUS who has a look a believe then if Gus likes they try for a deal. Takes a lot of the leg work out for a manager.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
because Gus is spending the month of July pundit-ing on Al Jazeera for the Copa Sudamerica

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton

Without trying to sound like I am taking the piss it seems his role is a glorified scout. But so long as Gus has the final say on the player then it cannot be a bad thing...Also, I like the idea of someone other than the manager doing all the negotiating over contracts, etc as that should be a worry they should not have to deal with.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Without trying to sound like I am taking the piss it seems his role is a glorified scout. But so long as Gus has the final say on the player then it cannot be a bad thing...Also, I like the idea of someone other than the manager doing all the negotiating over contracts, etc as that should be a worry they should not have to deal with.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

He's more of an administrator as well as being involved with scouting, Watford have got a lot of good players through their youth set up for a start.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont know his exact role but would think that it is a question of chains: Junior Scouts report to their superiors who inturn report to the Chief Scout it then goes to Stephenson who then passes it to Gus and having got the final yes from Gus he then takes over and does the deal with TB and sorting out the financial side. This means that Gus has limited actual involvement but still has the final say on who he wants. As others have said this gives him the time and freedom to spend with the team on coaching and tactics etc.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Stephenson is more than a scout. He was majorly involved in the set up of the Watford academy which is generally recognised as one of the best youth set ups in the country and has been visited regularly by some big european clubs. The following is a recent quote from a respected trade magazine "Watford FC, through it's pioneering partnership with the Harefield Academy, is on course to produce a consistent flow of genuine world class, educated and highly principled footballers, who up to now have been the envied and mystical preserve of the continent."
As has been said on this site before he is one of the club's major recent signings and lets hope he is as successful here. All part of the big plans of Bloom and Poyet!

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
bascially we're a BIG team now and need these extra experts to help out with stuff, thats COOL!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here