Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why I can't support Falmer

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Not my words but a season ticket holder called Tim Cutress (happens to be the managing director of Forfars) who writes a piece in today's Argus (p8).

Surprisingly he lives in Falmer! His solutions are Waterhall and redeveloping Withdean. Hello? Where have you been through this whole process?

He does have an interesting dilemma though. Be a NIMBY and an Albion fan all at the same time

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
And now the MD of a business that is next on the boycott list!

It's good that the Argus printed his letter (haven't seen it personally) because it proves that even people in 'high positions' can be idiots.

What a twat-DK should ban him

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lord Bracknell has stated several times that he boycotts Forfars

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
Well, Iv disliked Forfars ever since they inlcuded the topping HAIR in my sanswich before christmas and were then suprised that I bought it back and didnt even apologise :nono: :angry:
My boycott started then but it was never full on. It is now.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nevertheless, it is quite an interesting angle. The anti-Falmer season-ticket holder. We're all in favour, there may even be the odd younger Albion fan living in Falmer who supports it as they know they won't be there for much longer and will move away. But are we all absolutely certain that as Albion fans, if we lived there we would still definitely be in favour? Brave letter, he knows he's going to get a lot of stick, and it will cost him a few suasage rolls on the bottom line...

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I dunno if this is the same guy who sits a couple of rows in front of me in the North stand or not but there is a strong anti-falmer NIMBY in Block L.
When Paul Samrah was addressing the crowd at half-time on Saturday he stood up and starting shouting things like "shut up Samrah", "Falmer will never happen" and "what rubbish" when Paul was getting the campaign message across.
We actually had a go back at the twat but everyone else just watched in amazement at him shouting that stuff. How this bloke can call himself a fan is beyond me.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You CAN'T be a Brighton fan and be opposed to Falmer. That's like being a turkey and being in favour of Christmas.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
When we argued with this guy (the one in Block L if it is the same bloke?) he said he is a fan but admitted "yes I am a NIMBY".

I said you cannot be a real fan - I tried to make the point that if we don't get Falmer the Albion will die so effectively he is hoping we go out of business but he seemed to just laugh this off.

He comes across as an arrogant twat who also regularly has a dig at any prominant Falmer For All campaigners in the North Stand.

If we are talking about the same bloke and he is MD of Forfars how about a NSC campaign for eveyone to boycott Forfars and hit him in the pocket?

Yorkie said:
Lord Bracknell has stated several times that he boycotts Forfars
Maybe, Yorkie. Although I do confess to several episodes of purchasing coffee and doughnuts from the shop near Hove Town Hall during the Public Inquiry - but only when wearing the blue and white campaign ribbon.

"Take the message to the enemy!" is my excuse.

In fact, I've known Tim Cutress for over thirty years. I even used to perform with a band he used to run. He is an Albion season ticket holder and regularly travels to away matches.

The word I hear is that they are more suspicious in Falmer about him than we need to be. Melanie Cutress, his wife, was the principal witness for Falmer Parish Council at the Inquiry. She is a member of the Parish Council (and used to chair it).

Tim and I spent many a minute on the Town Hall doorstep arguing our respective cases and I think we still consider ourselves mates. Talking with the enemy doesn't mean that either of us gives anything away.

One thing I would say about Forfars is that Tim Cutress has never used his company to bolster the anti-Falmer campaign. And I respect that. Although I would guess that he knows that most of his customers and staff are on our side of the argument.

And who among us hasn't bought a Forfars Albion gingerbread man (in blue and white stripes) at some time?

Are the Argus going to give MArtin Perry the right ofreply.

its a whole feckin page FFS with a nice pic of Mr Cuttress sitting on a park bench wearing an Albion scarf with the parish Chuirch in the background.

favourite quotes:

"Rail travel for visiting fans is rarely a viable option"

"It is immoral for the club to claim to be a creator of employment as a passport for grtants"

Frequently I make comparisoms with Charlton Athletic...........Withdean has comparable transport"

"Withdean has long been a municipally owned under developed community stadium. Would it not be better to make this a centrally located stadium a permanent home?"

"The original proposal fora football stadium developmenton the council owned eight acre site at Falmer was like trying to fit a quart into a pint pot"

"Much propoganda has been spoken about a ground at Falmer and how without it the football club will not survive.
However, it the pursuit of this site for the pas t five years that has contributed to its financial difficulties."

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Storer68 said:

"Much propoganda has been spoken about a ground at Falmer and how without it the football club will not survive.
However, it the pursuit of this site for the pas t five years that has contributed to its financial difficulties."

That last one is the quote I find a bit chilling. We are all desperate for it to happen - but what it he's right? Now is not the time - but if God forbid it is rejected the backlash about how the money's been spent, the strategy, and the site will be scary.

Tooting Gull said:
That last one is the quote I find a bit chilling. We are all desperate for it to happen - but what it he's right? Now is not the time - but if God forbid it is rejected the backlash about how the money's been spent, the strategy, and the site will be scary.

The fact is we need a stadium to meet the needs and demands of Brighton and English football in the 21st Century.

Look at the resurgence of Premueurship and Nationwide sides following the development of a purpose built stadium: Reading, Southampton, Bolton. The list is endless. They were not in the same dire state as us.

The Club does not have a choice of sites, in fact as proven it had one viable location. Not two, but one.

Our future is with Falmer. There are always risks when following one strategy. But it is better to act than to have let our club gradually decline away. Withdean cannot sustain a modern football club and of course Withdean is not itself sustainable.

Some of you who know me, will know I have strong green priniciples, I have supported a National Park for the South Downs for decades, I am also a Planner. As such I have stragtegically weighed up all the pro and cons for Falmer. I can support it. Stragtegic sites are never easy. That's why we have a democratic sysyem and a Planning system to take unpleasant decisions.

But in terms of Brighton, English football I conclude that Falmer is a pleasant decsision to make. Lets hope Prescott also thinks so and is not tempted by Forfars coffee and gingerbread men. I certainly am not.
LC

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Storer68 said:

This is very much Norman Baker's view. He claims to be very supportive of the Albion, but maintains there are alternative sites. If you really do believe this, then the fact that Albion have spent over £2.5m on the Falmer issue really does amount to a serious waste of funds.

The key issue is - Can the club relocate to any other site in Brighton & Hove, or even stay at Withdean? In all likelihood, the Nimbys probably accept there are no other sites, but probably think that Withdean will do. Once they have convinced themselves of this, they can safely rubbish Falmer.

I could be wrong here, but possibly the club has not properly explained why Withdean will not work as a permanent location (I'm not saying that it hasn't spent a great deal of time trying to get this message across, just that perhaps the arguments need to be listed out once again for all to see).

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Withdean stadium butts on to a nature reserve that is of far greater importance than a muddy field at Falmer! That fact alone will prevent any proper building work at our current home

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here