Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why haven't football measurements gone metric?

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Not that I'm moaning, but we still talk about the six yard box, the eighteen yard box. The penalty spot is still twelve yards out and goals are twenty four feet wide by eight feet high

Has there been special dispensation given to football to keep imperial measurements?

Or do they talk about the goals being 7.56 metres, or whatever it is, wide on the continent, for example?

:lolol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Interesting point - 12 yards isn't exactly 11 metres. But a penalty in German is called "elfmeter" (I'm sure you don't need a translation). Does the distance vary slightly from here to there? Is that maybe why Germany always win their penalty shootouts and England lose theirs? *runs away to avoid airborn plastic chairs heading in his direction*

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I was under the impression that they had for the purposes of rules on pitch dimensions etc., however it just had not translated to football speak.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Because, despite the fact that the UK adopted the metric system in the 1970s, there is still a media campaign about which maintains the myth that it's a new-fangled European conspiracy to subdue the plucky old Brits, and thus the readers of such esteemed (and inexplicably popular) publications continue to stick doggedly to their ancient measurements.

It's odd, though, that what was called the twentyfive when I learned to play rugby is now universally known as the twentytwo.

Do continental referees pace out nine paces at freekicks?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
we hav'nt gone metric in Cricket yet either!

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
It's odd, though, that what was called the twentyfive when I learned to play rugby is now universally known as the twenty two

I was chatting to my mates in the pub tonight and one made the same point. I think it used to be 25 yards, which now has become 22 metres, as in a '22 drop out...'

You're right, as the distance between wickets is still a chain, as in 1/8 of a furlong :thumbsup:
A pedant writes:-

A chain is 1/10 of a furlong. A furlong is 1/8 of a mile.

This is, of course, the beauty of the imperial system ... inconsistency.

16 ounces in a pound; 14 pounds in a stone; 8 stones in a hundredweight; 20 hundredweights in a ton.

But 20 fluid ounces in a pint and 8 pints in a gallon. Except in America, of course.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
A pedant writes:-

A chain is 1/10 of a furlong. A furlong is 1/8 of a mile.

This is, of course, the beauty of the imperial system ... inconsistency.

16 ounces in a pound; 14 pounds in a stone; 8 stones in a hundredweight; 20 hundredweights in a ton.

But 20 fluid ounces in a pint and 8 pints in a gallon. Except in America, of course.

As I wrote that I was trying to do the maths, unsuccessfully, in my head. Of course a furlong is 220 yards and a mile is 8 of those, as in 1760 glorious yards :thumbsup:

Ah, the memories of primary school arithmetic in the old days ...

If 1 stone of apples costs 4s 8d, and apples weigh 4 ounces each, how many apples can you buy for 11d ? Do not use a pencil and paper to work out the answer.

And remember ... calculators hadn't been invented.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Ah, the memories of primary school arithmetic in the old days ...

If 1 stone of apples costs 4s 8d, and apples weigh 4 ounces each, how many apples can you buy for 11d ? Do not use a pencil and paper to work out the answer.

And remember ... calculators hadn't been invented.

11, as they are 1d. each

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here