Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why have we spent 200 million quid this window?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Okay, the obvious answers are 'because Chelsea gave us 200 million quid' or 'because Tony wants us back in Europe', but I'm wondering whether any of our financial whizzes can shed any light on the timing and whether there is a likely connection with the new FFP/PSR rules: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5407740/2024/04/11/premier-league-ffp-rules-new/

In my experience, Tony's strategy has always been to build, then consolidate, then build again. He did it in the Championship. We splashed out in Poyet's second season in the division and when we didn't get promoted, we tightened our belts to ensure that we met FFP requirements, then, after Garcia and Hyppia's spells, we invested again. This seems to be part of the same process, though it's scale is Cloudcuckoland stuff to long term fans.

Obviously Bloom always has a plan and always seems to be thinking some seasons ahead and in playing staff terms, it seems to be the next step in ensuring that we have replacements ready for the next harrowing of the South. I'm just wondering if anybody has any inkling of what his plan is, because I feel like I did when I re-read the first page of William Faulkner's 'The Sound & The Fury' for about the seventeenth time. Like that book, I'm sure it'll become clear eventually, but is everybody as lost as me?

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I'm sure it'll become clear eventually, but is everybody as lost as me?
No. We wanted to take advantage of the 5 subs rule by having loads of attacking players so we can utilise all of them, every game. It reduces the load on individuals, allows great flexibility in the selection and potentially gives us an edge in matches. It makes a lot of sense to try and exploit that rule to our advantage.

Mostly though, I think that it's because of the change in PSR - we effectively needed to use it or lose it. So we've used it, and silenced those who think Bloom has been creaming off the profits to pay himself back (amazingly, those morons exist).

But mainly I think it's because Tony and PBOBE want to get back into the top 6 and into Europe next season, so they've turned the recruitment process up to 10 and we're bringing players in left, right and centre but all of them meet our criteria and all of them have huge sell on value. It's been an unbelievable window.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
We've spent £200m because we found ourselves in an unusually good position. First up we have a lot of cash accrued in previous windows; second many of our rivals for certain players are not that flush and are constricted by PSR; third a lot of selling teams are at a disadvantage to PSR/FFP. Also next season with a change of the rules favouring those with a larger turnover than us this was the one window where we could really make an impact and it was all with money that we have, we are not overreaching.

The perfect transfer window storm.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
If you were to sell some shares a healthy looking squad, league position and maybe a cup final might look very tempting to an investor

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
PSR changes next season so may as well utilise what we have built up as the 3 year window will no longer exist (from what I understand).

Last season was mad for injuries so no more of that hopefully.

And we enjoyed Europe so let's go and qualify for it again

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Missed it. Apologies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here