Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why don't I feel that bad?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I can't take today's result seriously, what an absolute joke of a game. No contest at all for 85 minutes, glad it was only 3 in the end and Murray didn't get a hattrick.
That's now 5 one-on-ones we've had in about as many games and we still can't score from them. Where's the composure?
I thought Bridcutt did an excellent job of keeping Zaha quiet, but Bolasie tore us apart. It was never going to end well with one centre back and two right backs against two of the most dangerous wingers in the league.
Fair play to Palace, their strategy works well. I think that's 13 penalties this season?

Of course we deserved to lose, but the game didn't have a chance to develop before being ruined by a red card (which I didn't think was a foul - or a dive for that matter). I was convinced the referee was going to send Kuszczak off for the first penalty, then it would've been even less of a pretty sight. But overall, I don't feel anywhere near as bad as I did after the 1-3 last season.
Onwards and upwards.
In Gus we Trust.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
I can't take today's result seriously, what an absolute joke of a game. No contest at all for 85 minutes, glad it was only 3 in the end and Murray didn't get a hattrick.
That's now 5 one-on-ones we've had in about as many games and we still can't score from them. Where's the composure?
I thought Bridcutt did an excellent job of keeping Zaha quiet, but Bolasie tore us apart. It was never going to end well with one centre back and two right backs against two of the most dangerous wingers in the league.
Fair play to Palace, their strategy works well. I think that's 13 penalties this season?

Of course we deserved to lose, but the game didn't have a chance to develop before being ruined by a red card (which I didn't think was a foul - or a dive for that matter). I was convinced the referee was going to send Kuszczak off for the first penalty, then it would've been even less of a pretty sight. But overall, I don't feel anywhere near as bad as I did after the 1-3 last season.
Onwards and upwards.
In Gus we Trust.

Well said that man, couldn't agree more - was expecting a defeat, we seem to bottle the derby games for some reason and in the circumstances 3-0 was better than it could of been - the Amex defeat last year killed me, this not in the slightest.

Palarse will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, and good luck to them - they've got a system that works which will see them beat alot better teams than us at Shitehurst.

On the bright side, we don't have to go to that pit every week or have to listen to their moronic "ultras" who quite frankly resemble a special needs class at a very special school.

Up the Albion.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I disagree about Bolasie, I didn't think he made that much of an impact. Thankfully, our defence wasn't too bad. They could have got more, but our boys threw themselves at them. I couldn't see the penalties from my position, so I can't comment on them.

But I noticed Zaha when he does go into his trickery mode loses balance a lot, and perhaps that's how he goes down so easily. Fair play, he retained the ball most of the time when he lost his balance, but it's not going to help him in the future as referees will pick up on it.

And that Lino on the dugout side:ffsparr:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I disagree about Bolasie, I didn't think he made that much of an impact. Thankfully, our defence wasn't too bad. They could have got more, but our boys threw themselves at them. I couldn't see the penalties from my position, so I can't comment on them.

But I noticed Zaha when he does go into his trickery mode loses balance a lot, and perhaps that's how he goes down so easily. Fair play, he retained the ball most of the time when he lost his balance, but it's not going to help him in the future as referees will pick up on it.

And that Lino on the dugout side:ffsparr:

And that lino on the near side :ffsparr:

I thought the first penalty was a blatant dive from where I was, the second looked a bit dubious but I can see why it was given. We got given precisely f*** all today.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I'm glad you don't feel too bad.....I'm absolutely f***ing GUTTED.
remember who we lost to today?

not just anyone was it?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
And that lino on the near side :ffsparr:

I thought the first penalty was a blatant dive from where I was, the second looked a bit dubious but I can see why it was given. We got given precisely f*** all today.

I was in T block with a bloody pillar to my left, so couldn't exactly tell. And yeh, the officials were woeful. Barnes did handball it in the first half in our end. Right infront of the lino too....so, not just for us

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't take today's result seriously, what an absolute joke of a game.
I'm not sure if I'm just numb or what, but I'm coping pretty well. Before the game I thought we'd need Bridge, and it was no contest after Dunk went off given that all of our defenders are injured.

It's impossible to tell, the game would have been completely different if we had 11 men.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...

Onwards and upwards.

In Gus we Trust.

This is exactly how I feel! Te early sending off killed the game as any sort of contest; from that point on the result really didn't seem to matter to me. Credit to palace, they did what had to be done and took the points, but that had to be expected with 10 men for 82mins. To be honest, every time I checked the score and palace hadn't got another goal was a minor victory. All our more twatty fans foaming at the mouth and claiming the end of everything just because the game is
some stupid rivalry amuses me. Yeah I don't like what happened, nor do I like palace, but come on, it's not that bad. We are in decent shape at the moment, so yes, onwards and upwards.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012

not just anyone was it?

As people have said, once Dunk went off we had no chance. We simply didn't turn up so by half time I resigned to the loss. At least it wasn't like West Ham last season

And this may sound stupid, but I would sooner have this then a game we deserve to win and get it stolen from us in the last 10 minutes.....

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

not just anyone was it?

"This" in absolutely every respect.

I don't give a damn tht the sending off and penalty count distorted the match. We lost to sodding Palace. That is quite enough to write off this whole weekend for me. I've spent the whole day sulking and plan to do a good deal more of it tomorrow too.

Of course, it's just a game and life will go on and the world will continue to turn. I don't call for anybody's head. It was a bad day at the office and I just need a little time to grieve.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Oh. One last thought. The whole point of a rivalry is that it can't simply be rationalised or discarded when things don't go your way. Otherwise it's just another game.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I'm obviously gutted but not nearly as much compared to the 1-3.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Onwards and upwards.
In Gus we Trust.

I don't feel that bad, either:

a) the circumstances of the match (injuries in defence (our defence incuded a left back who was replacing the guy who replaced a guy who replaced a guy who replaced a guy who replaced our regular first choice left back, our centre back was replacing the guy who replaced the guy ho replaced our first choice centre back. We played with 10 men for 89 minutes (3mins injury time each half), and still, palace needed an at best dodgy penalty to kill the game off as a contest)
b) relative positions and form, as much as some people might not like to admit it, despite their poor start, palace have been doing better than us so far this season, we are struggling to score even when we dominate games and they are fighting back from 2 goals down regularly
c) I've had a bad feeling about the game all week, so was prepared for this
d) Seeing other fans extreme reactions and comments just have me shaking my head, and leave me thinking "it might be bad, awful even, but not that bad" which helps me get over my own disappointment
e) We lost our first meeting last season, only drew the return, ad still finished above them.
f) Someone else on the match day thread highlighted a similarity to the Southampton game last season

And this one last to avoid all the "I stopped reading at..." replies
g) Yes, I know "it's palace" etc. yes they are our rivals, I get that, but for me that rivalry is not the be all and end all of supporting the albion. It adds a little extra spice to the games, but it's still only 3 points available, it's still only one of the 46 games we play this season, and it really is "just a game". Life goes on.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I don't feel that bad, either:

a) the circumstances of the match (injuries in defence (our defence incuded a left back who was replacing the guy who replaced a guy who replaced a guy who replaced a guy who replaced our regular first choice left back, our centre back was replacing the guy who replaced the guy ho replaced our first choice centre back. We played with 10 men for 89 minutes (3mins injury time each half), and still, palace needed an at best dodgy penalty to kill the game off as a contest)
b) relative positions and form, as much as some people might not like to admit it, despite their poor start, palace have been doing better than us so far this season, we are struggling to score even when we dominate games and they are fighting back from 2 goals down regularly
c) I've had a bad feeling about the game all week, so was prepared for this
d) Seeing other fans extreme reactions and comments just have me shaking my head, and leave me thinking "it might be bad, awful even, but not that bad" which helps me get over my own disappointment
e) We lost our first meeting last season, only drew the return, ad still finished above them.
f) Someone else on the match day thread highlighted a similarity to the Southampton game last season

And this one last to avoid all the "I stopped reading at..." replies
g) Yes, I know "it's palace" etc. yes they are our rivals, I get that, but for me that rivalry is not the be all and end all of supporting the albion. It adds a little extra spice to the games, but it's still only 3 points available, it's still only one of the 46 games we play this season, and it really is "just a game". Life goes on.

This. With bells on :bhasign:

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I must admit, after the sending off all my nerves evaporated and it didn't take me long to come to terms with defeat. I haven't seen the incident yet but my first reaction was that Dunk won the ball, albeit clumsily. I might be wrong... We were asking for it though, passing it around the back for the sake of it and with no purpose or direction. It was a matter of time before one of them miscontrolled it.

The rest of the first half prior to the goal really summed up how much of a joke the game was. We were camped in our own box and having to deal with wave upon wave of attack. Little other option against a forward line like theirs. Obviously Mackail-Smith has to score when one on one and it was that moment that put the tin lid on proceedings. I thought Hammond and Bridcutt played well but even with XI we would not have been good enough today. Bizarre that Gus gives Dobbie and Hoskins a chance in midweek only to withdraw both. Both are arguably 2 of the better footballers at the club and we could have done with them at some point.

Palace played well and will I suspect be up there for the remainder of the season. Not sure how their defence copes against more potent attacking forces but I wonder if Gus has considered taking a leaf out of Holloway's book and playing 2 wingers. Bolasie was a handful today and Zaha had his moments. Having said that, 3rd best player in the world? He wasn't even Palace's 3rd best player today. Ridiculous over-hyping as usual. Another Walcott?

Finally a word for Murray - fair play for not celebrating either goal, despite getting booed throughout. The fact he was on the pitch when the second penalty was given suggests he was not too keen on the idea of scoring a hat-trick and thus rubbing salt into the wounds. I must admit, I didn't know he had that class in him.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't feel bad because I sat and watched England THRASH the All Blacks. I'm still buzzing from that, what a performance! The result from Selhurst was obviously disappointing but as I don't have the same anti-Palace feelings as a lot of people for me it was no more depressing than losing to Southampton last year. I felt more pissed off after the Wolves and Bolton matches TBH. It IS only one of 46 league games and there's always next week and another chance to get three points to stay in touch with the play-offs.

Plus the FA Cup draw is this afternoon and I'm looking forward to that - I just hope Poyet takes it seriously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here