Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we call it the World Cup?

herbicide

weedkiller
Mar 25, 2006
Horley
The manufacturers of the current World Cup (Bison-Schiessen of Cologne, Germany), drilled a very small hole in the top so that liquid could if necessary be poured in. It is so small you can hardly see it, but it allowed it to qualify as a cup and NOT a trophy.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
The manufacturers of the current World Cup (Bison-Schiessen of Cologne, Germany), drilled a very small hole in the top so that liquid could if necessary be poured in. It is so small you can hardly see it, but it allowed it to qualify as a cup and NOT a trophy.

took me a while to realise there :thumbsup: :lolol:

This is the FIRST trophy to be called the F.I.F.A World Cup

In the past, the Jules Rimet Trophy was presented to the winers of the World Championship. Which, technically and pedantically, is what England were in 1966 and not "World Cup" winners

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Language evolves doesn't it, and the word competeition or tournament is now often replaced by the word cup. As in we're playing in the FA cup means that we're taking part in th competition, and not having a kick about inside the trophy.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Language evolves doesn't it, and the word competeition or tournament is now often replaced by the word cup. As in we're playing in the FA cup means that we're taking part in th competition, and not having a kick about inside the trophy.

Er,

UEFA Champions League

UEFA Europa League

UEFA Euro 2012

(to name three...)

And

It's the FA Challenge Cup

???

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
A bit O/T...

Perhaps an English scholar can elucidate on why it is Champions League and not Champion's League...

I would assume it is because it is a league of champions (loosely), rather than the champions owning the league ???

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A bit O/T...

Perhaps an English scholar can elucidate on why it is Champions League and not Champion's League...

I would assume it is because it is a league of champions (loosely), rather than the champions owning the league ???

Would it not be Champions' as there is more than one champion who competes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here