Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do some Albion fans like Bournemouth ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I had an interest in seeing AFC do well but it's dawned on me why I'm wrong. The reason I 'like' Bournemouth is simply because I prefer them to SCC or Pompey. When you think about it hardly an ideal reason. I do remember back in the early seventies when they had Ted McDougall and Phil Boyer up front and John Bond as manager (the bloke who referred to us as a 'rubbishy old team' when he managed Man City) that I used to despise them in the same way that later that decade I learned (along with most other Brighton fans) to despise Palace.

The biggest irony is that I can't really say I had and feelings about either Portsmouth or Southampton and in fact I believe at one point I actually quite liked the latter side.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally I've never really liked Bournemouth, I hate Portsmouth and have never minded Southampton until this season. Portsmouth is always spicy when we're in direct competition with them, although this may not be the case next season as Portsmouth will only have (envious) eyes for their fellow Hampshire bumpkins.

Bournemouth are a tin pot outfit who irritate me because they always had more coverage than us on local telly. They also have a crap badge which is somehow even worse than the crest featuring the pair of red bollocks it replaced.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
I personally dont really hate anyone. Even Palace I can't really hate as in my time of supporting the Albion we've only played them 4 times. It makes me a bit of a fony if I'm pretending to hate a club based on teh history which has played absolute no part in Albions last 25 years other than 2 seasons. I do have a dislike for southampton at the moment for obvious reasons just like my dislike for Cardiff in the Zamora years. I think the real big long lasting rivalries in this country tend to be between teams who've been in the same division for the majority of their time ie Arsenal and Spurs, Everton and Liverpool. Our rivalry with Palace started in a similar way to our dislike for Southampton. 2 teams battling it out for top position with the opposition manager and fans acting like dicks. if you weren't around for that then how can you hate?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Bournemouth are a tin pot outfit who irritate me because they always had more coverage than us on local telly. They also have a crap badge which is somehow even worse than the crest featuring the pair of red bollocks it replaced.

I couldnt agree more Sim.

I get the feeling with Meridian its very Pompey biased generally coz of that **** Dineage.
Then Stains, then Bmth THEN us.

BBC well they just dont like football really.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Only this season I've wanted to see Bournemouth do well at the expense of other tin pot South/South West coast clubs. They've been like a little brother you slap about the head but secretly hope they pass their exams. Well that's the best reasoning you'll get out of me anyway!

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I know Danny Seagull quite likes Bournemouth for some reason.

I don't mind Pompey, mainly because my Dad is from there and supports them and I saw them a few times when I was at uni there. I do however hate Southampton, maybe that's in my Pompey genes.

And I've always found Bournemouth a bit pointless.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
When I went down there for the National Falmer Day thing they were 1st class. Don't give them a huge amount of thought but will always appriciate how supportive they were of us that day.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I've never liked them, I weeley weeley hope Rochdale get that 6th spot. Saints and Pompey can bugger off too.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My opinion on Bournemouth is "meh"

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
I do not mind them - mainly as I live in the region and know quite a few AFCB supporters. Interestingly I never felt that football mattered as much to the locals here, or got local newspaper coverage as much as I feel Albion did when I lived in Brighton to locals and the Argus.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I don't 'like' any other Club. The only other footie team I support is Ingerland.

I only look out for other teams results, mainly where relevant to B&HA or through curiosity i.e.

Bournemouth never on my radar - until they had that promising run towards promotion, at which time they seemed to become quite anti-B&HA. Maybe petty jealousy as opposed to true rivalry? Conning the ref at Withdean lost any charitable thoughts I might have for them.

Used to keep an eye on Southampton's results in The Dell era because I felt they were a smaller club in the First Div. and early Prem. years trying to play fairly attractive footie against 'the bigger boys' whilst always seemingly fighting for survival. Never really regarded them as rivals for B&HA (apart from a notorious season in the late '70s) as we have not played them that often until recently. Like so many others at the start of this season I had the SCC pencilled in for promotion, given their squad and resources. So I am surprised to see them make such hard work of it, and lose so much ground so quickly to B&HA. However any sympathy has now been eroded by their attitude, so it is rather satisfying to see them suffer the hot and cold sweats for a while longer. But at least they are in contention for promotion and did not implode like that other pre-season favourite: Sheff. Weds.

I do relish the rivalry with Pompey mainly because it goes back many years and can recall some outstanding games against them - Wardy giving Chris Kamara the run around at The Goldstone comes to mind. Their recent financial shenanigans do make me dislike the Club quite intensely. I enjoy some spirited banter with various Pompey loving friends and not least my brother who lives almost next door to Fratton Park (something went astray in the gene pool there). Our Cup win has been mentioned a few times, helped by my other brother being a Seagull (good man). Lately the Hampshire side of the family tend to keep quite about footie when we get together....bring on 2011/12!

But deep down I see Palace as our true rivals - mainly because of the way this built up over the Mullery verses Venables era, my formative years as a Seagull.

Although geographically convenient for away games Bournemouth and the other South Coast clubs aren't really on the same page when compared to Palace.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I like the town. Therefore a sneaky little bit of regard for the team.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Cos it's got a Spearmint Rhino. The aquarium on the seafront is none too shabby either. Oh and I like the gardens.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Nice town in the summer when the sun's out. Utter gash in the winter, As demonstrated when we went down there in January.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I like them because they are on the south coast. i like all southern teams, their our neighbours, so was not to like.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Seaside Air, although it is quite different down there. Scrumpy and western rather than southern.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
We have mixed feelings towards you I guess. You have the old boys from the early 70's who I understand used to kick the crap out of each other (some of them dont like you), some people dont like you for your little demo, / attack on our New Stand over the Goldstone saga and some people are nonchalant.

I personally think you are allright. I've been reading this forum for years and you seem a sound bunch.

There is one thing I will add however. I cant imagine I will ever see a thread about us on your forum for a long long time. Indeed in a few years you would have completely forgotten about us. New stadium, bigger crowds and a completely different league.

The same happened with Reading. We had a hate /hate relationship with that bunch of spassers for years, donkeys years!! New ground / investment etc and since then nothing, nil, zilcho...different planet, different league and unless they drop to our level we wont see them again.

Well done on the promotion, good luck with the ground etc, so glad you got top spot instead of them down the road, see you in about 30 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here