Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did a premiership team not bid for Bridcutt?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm very surprised this didn't happen. Or do you think it did and we just told them where to go?

He would slot straight into any bottom half premiership team in my view.

Is it the height? or just the fact English players are too expensive to buy? I can't fathom it.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Posted in another thread, very surprised no one bid even just to unsettle him ready for Summer.

I assume its his height and maybe that no team is desperate for a defensive midfielder at the moment. Also he's young and English so will be expensive, traditionally not an exciting position and possible to pick up cheaper players abroad.

Play like he has been for the rest of the season and I'm sure we'll have offers- hopefully we'll go up so he can play in the premier league with us.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not the right time of year to be buying defensive midfielders. It's all strikers and defenders in January.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Maybe they don't think he is that good! There is the slight Scottishness about him. :rolleyes:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Don't know, don't care, just delighted we still have him - real chance now for the second half of the season. Automatic spots look a bit too far away but play offs must be on the cards.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I am not knocking the player - he is about as good as we have got, but it could be argued that his game is flattered by the role that Gus plays him in, and Premiership managers would ask themselves the question does he have the presence and strength to play in a two man midfield if the game requires it.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I am not knocking the player - he is about as good as we have got, but it could be argued that his game is flattered by the role that Gus plays him in, and Premiership managers would ask themselves the question does he have the presence and strength to play in a two man midfield if the game requires it.

Think that is probably a big factor, which Premier League manager is going to use him in the way we do in a 4-1-4-1 formation? In a more 'traditional' two man midfield his distribution, which recently has got better, might also be more of an issue and probably marks him down in some managers/scouts eyes.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised to see a few managers sniffing around him in the summer!

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
He does what he does fantastically well - playing it short and simple - but I've not seen much evidence that he can hurt the opposition with a killer ball in the same way that others playing that role at the highest level do. e.g. Gareth Barry.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I'm very surprised this didn't happen. Or do you think it did and we just told them where to go?

He would slot straight into any bottom half premiership team in my view.

Is it the height? or just the fact English players are too expensive to buy? I can't fathom it.
Because he's crap?

Just kidding.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Not sure about the height issue, he's one of the best headers of the ball in our team

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
maybe there was an offer? maybe its not the time for midfielders? maybe, just maybe not every single decent player have an offer made on them every transfer window. maybe the fact we didnt tout him for sale helped. ( saying playerX is not for sale for £Y is tantamount to saying he's up for sale, but we expect a big offer)

its certainly not height, at 5'7 he's as tall as Makelele. im not sure why the height thing is even considered, it only matters a bit when kids are coming through, once you've established yourself its not important.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here