Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Claridge?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Mcghee, understandably, goes on and on about our lack of a target man and how we need to bring in a new striker to help out Leon.
So what was the point in bringing in Claridge if he's not going to play them together?
I think he's a good signing, is able to hold onto the ball and could be the guy we've been looking for to play the ball on the ground to Leon but why sign him if he won't play him alongside our main man? Isn't this what Mcghee was looking for in the first place?

Last edited:

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Could not understand why he pulled Knight off on Saterday?

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
Cos where he played him he had no influence on the game after the first 20 mins. But that's true of most of not all of our players.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The team had no influence on the game after 20 mins so what was the difference.

6000 people in the stadium thought that Carpenter should have been taken off because he was having a nightmare of a game.

Put Hart in Knight place on the right of Midfield and push Knight up where he can do some harm......in their penalty box.

But NO MM made a gloroius cock up and then tried to justify it by saying that the reason we lost was because we missed Virgo up front with his aerial power and Cullip for the same at the back.

Absolute crap he should have at least admitted he made a mistake.

I am one of MM biggest fans but not last Saturday on that performance.

Last edited:

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
Agreed - when he got the ball he attempted to carry the ball into the box rather than go down the line & cross.
Maybe if we had scored in the first 20 mins when we had some penetration it might have been different, but we seemed to run out of ideas.
Ah well - were not in the bottom three & i'm told Ipswich aren't all that. :D

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
BensGrandad said:

6000 people in the stadfium thought that Carpenter shouldhave been taken off because he was havinga nightmare of agame.

Put Hart in Knight place on the right of Midfield and push Knight up where he can do some harm......in their penalty box.

But NO MM made a gkloroius cock up and then tried to justify by sayinying that the reason we lost was because we missed Virgo up front with his aerial power and Cullip for the same at the back.

Absolute crap he should have at least admitted he made a mistake. I am one of MM biggest fans but not last Saturday on that performance.

You are absolutely right, sir.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Can't argue with that analysis BG - let's hope we flush out the attack and win on the break at Ipswich.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
dougdeep said:
You are absolutely right, sir.

im sorry its bollocks we missed virgo, we didnt we missed cullip yes but i thought we looked so much better going forward with claridge up front on his own than with virgo

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
BensGrandad said:

6000 people in the stadium thought that Carpenter should have been taken off because he was having a nightmare of a game.

But NO MM made a gloroius cock up and then tried to justify it by saying that the reason we lost was because we missed Virgo up front with his aerial power and Cullip for the same at the back.

The guy next to me at the final whistle shouted a very constructive comment:
" McGhee that was f***ing shit "!
Now I don't agree with shouting obscenities at our manager or players but can understand frustration with the tactics & substitutions. But you either support the manager or not - 7 days before we won at West Ham ffs.

Ned Zelic

Nov 6, 2004
BensGrandad said:

But the problem is that once Virgo is available he will partner Claridge, with Knight becoming further disolusioned on the bench. Admittedly it was their first game together but the partnership looked fairly non-existent at West Ham. Claridge is a clever player re. flick-ons, lay-offs etc and surely Knight (one of the few footballers in our squad) would reap the benefits, rather than Virgo who works hard but generally runs around aimlessly and doesn't have a strikers instinct so we won't be taking full advantage of Claridges nous. Knight hasn't had the chance this season to play upfront with someone on the same wavelength and Burnley was the ideal opportunity.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Must agree with Ned Zelic. Virgo TRIES and gives 100% but does not have natural strikers awareness for goal that natural goalscorers like Knight have.

He is also very clumsy and tackles like a defender would and other defenders do not like receiving back what they dish out hence his current ban.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
BensGrandad said:
Will we revert back to a defensive formation at Ipswich and hope to catch them on the break

We'll need a few beers ...it will be a long afternoon..Ipswich score quite a few goals so that old 1-0 trick will be very hard to pull of this week...but you never know what your gonna get with the Albion..and thats why we love them so

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Ned Zelic said:
Claridge is a clever player re. flick-ons, lay-offs etc and surely Knight (one of the few footballers in our squad) would reap the benefits, rather than Virgo who works hard but generally runs around aimlessly and doesn't have a strikers instinct so we won't be taking full advantage of Claridges nous. Knight hasn't had the chance this season to play upfront with someone on the same wavelength and Burnley was the ideal opportunity.

And I thought that was the whole point in signing him. If not then why did we since from what we've seen so far he'll play one or the other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here