Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why cant we be positive

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
Not a moan at fans and a serious question

why cant our midfield drive with the ball and why cant more players make off the ball runs? Today as against so many teams this season we start playing when we go a goal down. Tonight Cardiff didnt turn up first half yet we were too slow and too predictable with the ball, for example centre mids getting in to a good area on the edge of the box then taking the easy route of passing it back.

Second half a goal down all of a sudden centre mids start driving, wingers start pinning back the full backs and strikers start making off the ball runs.

I understand Gus likes to keep the ball, but surely this isnt part of the plan. We have a lot of creative players who could be even better if we were more positive from the start and if we played with some freedom, we have a solid base and this wont be effected.

Tonight, a last minute draw which should feel like a win...feels like 2 points dropped

im sure a lot of people will see this as a moan, when its not.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
To be honest i thought we were all over them in the first half and there goal keeper was very good and kept Cardiff in the game.
and with Cardiff second goal coming so quickly must have hurt the lads big time but hats off to them for digging out a result.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm not our coach, I'm not Gus... I'm not one of our players that train and travel all week... I am a humble supporter that hopes my coach and players do the best they can. I will have to trawl through the many threads we had in the summer where just about everyone said they would be happy to survive and top ten at a push. Fickle, fickle, fickle. If we were all Gus I guess we'd never get a team out on Saturday through the armchair coaches and tactics.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No, I don't see it as a moan, I see it as a load of utter bollocks. Cardiff didn't turn up? :lolol: I must've imagined those ten men behind the ball for the whole of the first half.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
It really was a game of two halves with very different styles of football on show. I personally really enjoyed the first half with some of the best passing I've seen from Brighton this season from technically very good players and think we were very unlucky not to get a goal.

The second half was more frantic and scrappy lots more running at them but also losing the ball easier. However is some ways it's more exciting as we are moving the ball forward all the time and do think once they got a goal it was the only way to get back into the game.

For me we deserved the three points and on the whole dominated Cardiff but it was not going to be our day.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To be honest i thought we were all over them in the first half and there goal keeper was very good and kept Cardiff in the game.
and with Cardiff second goal coming so quickly must have hurt the lads big time but hats off to them for digging out a result.

hear hear

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cardiff came to stifle the game but got lucky so plan b with 3 subs.

Enjoyed it

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
I would hardly say im gus or that I know better. Its a point of view that I wonder why we cant start on the front foot rather then having to chase a game

Cardiff did defend well first half cause we allowed them by moving the ball to slowly and allowing them to set themselves. Credit to Cardiff they came and did a job

by the way I am more then happy to stay up this season so fickle im not but we must take games when they are there for the taking

And as a support I have no issues with Gus, keeping the ball etc

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I would hardly say im gus or that I know better. Its a point of view that I wonder why we cant start on the front foot rather then having to chase a game

So by that synopsis we didn't go out to score in the first half?

Thought Gus got the tactics woefully wrong tonight. For 57 minutes we did very little, passing the ball in front of Cardiff with little penetration. Only when we went one nil down did we play & brought on the subs. Like Millwall at home we have now thrown 4 points away.

Why he took off Asulin & won't play Vokes up front with CMS, is now becoming extremely annoying. Reyes had a poor game too.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Cardiff were there for the taking tonight. I don't think that Assulin was the right sort of winger to have on with the 3 in centre midfield already. We can't afford to have all 3 of Noone, Buckley and Lua Lua not starting they are more than good enough to start in at least 20 teams in the championship

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Everyone stop what your doing and just have a look at the league table.
We're 7th in the championship, YES 7TH IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP. just off the play offs on goal difference......TO GO INTO THE PREMIER LEAGUE.
I'm not being patronising, just asking for a little perspective from the moaners, because I often have to pinch myself when I think how far we've come.
AND I'M BLOODY LOVING IT

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Everyone stop what your doing and just have a look at the league table.
We're 7th in the championship, YES 7TH IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP. just off the play offs on goal difference......TO GO INTO THE PREMIER LEAGUE.
I'm not being patronising, just asking for a little perspective from the moaners, because I often have to pinch myself when I think how far we've come.
AND I'M BLOODY LOVING IT

This reply to any discussion that may be negative is getting very boring. People are talking about a specific subject, you don't need to throw in our league position every time someone isn't cheerleading.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
MacKay beat Poyet hands down on tactics tonight. Far from not being there, Cardiff came for a point and because we are so slow in getting the ball forward, everytime they lost the ball they had plenty of time to reorganize themselves. Greer and El Abd playing keep ball and hardly moving forward is not great football. The first half was dire to watch and the only chances went to CMS (who should have scored) and a deflected shot onto the post! Second half started exactly the same except Cardiff re wrote the script and scored first. Greater sense of getting forward when the subs came and the crowd reacted and we deservedly got the equalizer. Unfortunately, Brez had another poor punch and we were back to square one. Deserved the second equalizer and on balance, neither team deserved to win. However, Mackay goes away with an away point from a team above them and, as with the Millwall match, we miss the chance to get into the important play zone.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm not our coach, I'm not Gus... I'm not one of our players that train and travel all week... I am a humble supporter that hopes my coach and players do the best they can. I will have to trawl through the many threads we had in the summer where just about everyone said they would be happy to survive and top ten at a push. Fickle, fickle, fickle. If we were all Gus I guess we'd never get a team out on Saturday through the armchair coaches and tactics.

Aye....I'm still pinching myself over the season we've had to date...and tht we are competing with clubs that r well established in ths division is pleasing ...ye it's disappointing ..but we were playing a team tht may hav indifferent leaguer form of date ...but there up there.. As thy were last season and pushed Liverpool all the way...a draw was the least we deserved..but to com ack twice shows very gd character

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here