Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who would your key signing be in the summer?

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Kasper schmichael and Jordan Rhodes to start with..

I'll have what you're having..

Realistically, I'd like to see

Jake Livermore CM- on loan from Spurs
Ryan Bertrand LB- Chelsea
David Norris CM- Portsmouth
Kuszczak GK - Out of contract in July.
Chopra ST - Ipswich
Adomah RW - Bristol City

I'd be happy with 2 out the suggested players.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Realistically, I'd like to see

Jake Livermore CM- on loan from Spurs
Ryan Bertrand LB- Chelsea
David Norris CM- Portsmouth
Kuszczak GK - Out of contract in July.
Chopra ST - Ipswich
Adomah RW - Bristol City

I'd be happy with 2 out the suggested players.

Not knocking what you are saying because I think these are the type of players we would want to look at. However when you look a bit further you find that Norris is reportedly on £30K+ at Portsmouth,; Chopra walked away from a lucrative deal at Cardiff to sign for Ipswich and is probably on £20K+; even as fringe players in the Prem, Livermore, Kusczak and Bertrand are almost certainly on something more than £10K a week................ our idea of a big earner is reportedly somewhere around the £8k to £10k absolute max mark depending on which gossip you listen to.

Realistically Gus is going to have a tough time bringing in the players we would like to see. I do think we will try to get a couple of proven Championship level players. The clubs who have succeeded in this league often seem to use the ability and experience of a player with top level experience but nearing the end of their career........................... but my hunch is that our most crucial signings may be from overseas with Spain and Scandinavia being favourites

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
If we want to get promoted, a goal-scorer.
But we need to build properly, so a decent goalkeeper too.

I think we all agree we need a left-back (preferably Mattock), a keeper, a centre-forward and a box-to-box midfielder who will SHOOT every now and then.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If we want to get promoted, a goal-scorer.
But we need to build properly, so a decent goalkeeper too.

I think we all agree we need a left-back (preferably Mattock), a keeper, a centre-forward and a box-to-box midfielder who will SHOOT every now and then.

I think we've got three "decent" keeper. None bad, none top 2-3 quality.

As for the second point, agree completely.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
didnt mike baily get the sack for doing just that

Much more likely that he got the sack for his team losing 20 league games out of 30. A dour style that gets wins is tolerable. A dour style that loses games much less so.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Fernando Lloriente.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Not knocking what you are saying because I think these are the type of players we would want to look at. However when you look a bit further you find that Norris is reportedly on £30K+ at Portsmouth,; Chopra walked away from a lucrative deal at Cardiff to sign for Ipswich and is probably on £20K+; even as fringe players in the Prem, Livermore, Kusczak and Bertrand are almost certainly on something more than £10K a week................ our idea of a big earner is reportedly somewhere around the £8k to £10k absolute max mark depending on which gossip you listen to.

Realistically Gus is going to have a tough time bringing in the players we would like to see. I do think we will try to get a couple of proven Championship level players. The clubs who have succeeded in this league often seem to use the ability and experience of a player with top level experience but nearing the end of their career........................... but my hunch is that our most crucial signings may be from overseas with Spain and Scandinavia being favourites

I think this is a very realistic appreciation. Quite apart from the names suggested being on unrealistic salaries we don't need Chopra's baggage, his gambling debts to gangsters, his travelling to/from Newcastle to see his child or his taste for going on a bender with his mate Bullard that caused them to miss training. Chopra is damaged goods. We've already had enough off field issues this season. Anyway the goals he got against us at Portman Road we largely down to poor defending (Calderon) failing to close him down outside the box and Ankergren probably should have saved one of them.

A good start would be Vicente and Mattock. Then a solid keeper and a proper Championship standard combative midfielder. Plus a versatile forward like Robert Snodgrass but in reality I suspect Gus may look abroad. I also hope that JFC and Adgestein get a chance, so it's not all about new signings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here