Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who would cut it in the Championship?

From reading the board most people think that Calde, Murray, Bennett etc. would be good in the championsip. But as you can see from this season; Norwich, Leeds and Millwall have made a few signings but are performing very well with their League One squad. Here are my thoughts...

Ankergren Yes. Although Leeds didn't think he was up to it, Casper has recoverd after the mistake against Rochdale has been a very consitantly good performer. Unless a very reliable and cheap keeper was up for grabs, i'd say Casper would do fine.

Calderon Yes. A definate in my eyes, no need to worry here.

El-Abd & Greer Yes. As above with Calderon, if the pair continue to develop their partnership and play as well as they currently are there is no doubt that they are Championship class.

Painter No. Swansea didn't think he was up to the standard and neither do I. Of course he is very solid and no winger has made a monkey out of him this season but he just isn't good enough attacking wise.

Bennett, Dicker & Bridcutt Yes. Bennett and Dicker I think have been outstanding this season and would cope fine whilst Bridcutt is developing very well under gus and looks good enough for the jump. Also I think Kishishev would be good enough but his legs wouldn't be able to last many 90's. Sparrow has been above average this season and has played many championship games as captain for Scunthorpe so maybe he'd still be good enough, especilly (sp) away where he'd find more space and time. Hopefully Noone could cut it as well.

Murray Yes. On his current form I think he'd be good enough in our team and lastly I think Barnes would be decent of the bench, also Wood... well maybe he's young.

So I think a new left back (bit harsh) and striker. Also it would be great to get a quality centre mid, maybe two, and a fast striker to come of the bench. Anyway these are my views on a boring Sunday and i'm just hoping to get a bit of a discussion going :blush:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think we'd do alright in the Championship with our current team.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Painter...I think he definitely can cut it in the Championship! He may not have been that good at Swansea, but he has been consistently above average every game for us!! We will need someone like him, if we make the Championship, to keep some stability, although saying that, most of the team is as reliable as an incredibly reliable person, and the only real niggle we have in regards of consistency is up front. With Murray coming into his own recently, and if Barnes can realise his potential then we have the foundations of a very good championship team! Any signings we make between now and the start of next season will only help to improve this foundation, and Noone is the start!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
When we go up, because we are the best team in this division. The last thing the team will need is major surgery, the nucleus is already there. Four top end championship players and we will be a major player at the top end of championship, ive no doubt of that.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Sorry, if Ashley Barnes ever plays more than a bit part, for this club in the Championship. I will nail my bollocks to my kitchen table and drag it round the room..Just wont happen, true Barnes/Murray has been the best pairing so far, but that not compareing a lot of patnerships. He misses to many chances and I think he has cooked his goose with Gus imho.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
We might get an indication on Saturday coming, if GP (and Pompey) puts out a league-strength starting 11. With Pompey mid-table, if we get tonked, then no, we are not good enough, but if we poke them, then yes, we are good enough :smile:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well, I have a few minutes to spare, so;

Brezovan = No.
Whing = No.
Greer = Absolutely, he has the class on the ball and the defensive ability to cope.
Elphick = No, not convinced he has the pace or the positional sense.
Battipiedi = No, but given a few years to develop and improve, he could become could enough.
El-Abd = I think he'll do a good job in a midtable team but if we want to do better, then no.
Bennett = Our best player, deffinite yes.
Navarro = Yes, I think he has the experience to cope with the step up, despite playing at this level more than any other.
Barnes = I think given a few years, he'll be a good quality player, so it's a yes from me.
Sparrow = Brilliant player, deffinite yes.
Baz = No, but I think he'll stay here for a few years while he develops and then we'll see.
LuaLua = Of course, hopefully with us.
Walker = Too early to say!
Calderon = He's played in the Spanish Primera Liga, he should be playing there now.
Hart = OGH, no. But he'll find himself a league 1 or league 2 club in the summer, he's still capable.
Ankergren = Yes, but I think he'll be replaced within a couple of years because of his lack of ability to cope with crosses.
Murray = Yes, he has the touch and the awareness to play in the Championship.
Dicker = Yes, his positional sense and his all round play oozes Championship quality, and playing with Sparrow and Kishishev will help him massively.
Poke = Haha, no.
Holroyd = I doubt it, not with us atleast. In a different team, maybe.
Sandaza = He could play at any level, because his game isn't football. It's hovering around the 6 yard box and poking it in.
Painter = Yes, but not in a team chasing promotion.
Smith = I really don't know what he's done wrong, but it has to be no because he's not playing in league 1.
Kishishev = Will surely have retired before next season, if not, it's a no.
Noone = On the strength of seeing 1 performance, I say yes. Lightning quick, good crosser of a ball and left footed.

I like our current squad.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I think this current squad could finish lower mid table.
Areas to improve - LB and RB (at least a back up for both positions) 1 CB , LM and RM (Back up), 1 striker, 1 quality attacking mid.
I think that is about 7/8 players needed to push for play offs.
The following are players who are not up to it and should be culled to make way.
Batti, Baz, Poke, Whing, Holroyd, Sandanza, Hart

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The one who undoubtedly could step up is Poyet. He's the key. Greer and Painter and Calderon are clearly those who could play for other clubs in the Championship already. They have what it takes. Bennett too. But the rest have needed Gus to play as part of a winning team. Them as individuals i am rather unsure of. We'd never have thought those same players down in the depths of the division 18 months or so ago could climb. And managers of other clubs didn't see that in them either. Div 1 and 2 are the same. The Championship is a giant step up.

I love the other players, i really do. Especially Dicker with his magnificent touch and perfect measurement of pass. I just rather think we'd need a bit more to stay up effectively. That would mean a few recruits to create an uncrackable spine right through the side. Mainly a truly clinical striker when chances will be fewer.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Our recent track record in the championship is not good ,its about turning those 0-1 defeats into 1-0 victories . IMO the core 18 ist team players would adjust ,however another 5 players at least of quality would be needed .In previous attempts we have failed to strengthen to create the depth and we have struggled . IF promoted we need to consolidate ,invest,and support the team just to compete .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here