Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who will we sign first?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
An expensive PL ready player (I really hope that we will be bringing in at least a couple this summer) or a coach and are the two likely to be linked, i.e will we sign a player without approval from the manager?

You’d think yes but if it’s a big money signing wouldn’t the club want to be sure that it’d be a player that the coach likes and fits into whatever system he prefers?

Or do you think the coach has no say as the club follow their tried and tested model

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
The manager will surely be announced in the next day or two unless something has gone SERIOUSLY wrong.

Took 10 days to appoint RDZ after Potter left. Took 7 days to appoint Potter after Hughton was binned.

It's been WEEKS already since RDZ left, and even longer than that since the club has known, surely.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
An expensive PL ready player (I really hope that we will be bringing in at least a couple this summer) or a coach and are the two likely to be linked, i.e will we sign a player without approval from the manager?
Doubt we will be signing any expensive "PL ready players" . (ie: £40m 27 year olds with no resale value if it doesn't work out ) . We will be signing some expensive younger PL nearly ready players as per...eg: Osman.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Doubt we will be signing any expensive "PL ready players" . (ie: £40m 27 year olds with no resale value if it doesn't work out ) . We will be signing some expensive younger PL ready players as per...

What about PL ready younger players? Liverpool picked up some 24 year old Argentinian with over 100 PL appearances for £35m ladt summer.

Obviously that's not a serious example. But with a squad slightly lacking in the early to mid 20s with PL experience we are slightly short, I think.

I guess it depends on what's available from the few smaller or less wealthier clubs than us in the division.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What if we sign neither and are DOOMED?

Fire Explosion GIF

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
With no manager I would like to know who will make the judgement of who we need to strengthen the team. If players arrive before a manager great danger if results are poor new manager states incoming players were not his choice.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We will get a flurry of announcements surrounding the signing of u18 and u21 players,... plus a few sensational headlines, thinking we have signed a top international player, only to find out it is for the women's squad.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
With no manager I would like to know who will make the judgement of who we need to strengthen the team. If players arrive before a manager great danger if results are poor new manager states incoming players were not his choice.
I'd say it'd be pretty obvious to anybody who commits about 10minutes thought to it what we need to strengthen the team.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I'd say it'd be pretty obvious to anybody who commits about 10minutes thought to it what we need to strengthen the team.
Depending on how the new manager sets up, we may need pacy fullbacks and strong midfielders or wingbacks who can defend or skilful fast midfielders and solid FBs, he may want a pacy central defender or a goal poacher like Undav who won’t be coming back so there are variations on what the new manager needs. One size doesn’t fit all unless TB is going to dictate how we play?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Depending on how the new manager sets up, we may need pacy fullbacks and strong midfielders or wingbacks who can defend or skilful fast midfielders and solid FBs, he may want a pacy central defender or a goal poacher like Undav who won’t be coming back so there are variations on what the new manager needs. One size doesn’t fit all unless TB is going to dictate how we play?
Well taking the wingback / pacy fullback / solid fullback comparison there, we signed Lamptey and Veltman within a few months of one another, which doesn't suggest total commitment one way or another. And I guess you could throw Barco and Igor* in there as well for a more recent example.

I think we're just after good players.

*edit: yes I'm fully aware he's mainly a CB. Could replace with Milner I guess for that comparison.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The manager will surely be announced in the next day or two unless something has gone SERIOUSLY wrong.

Took 10 days to appoint RDZ after Potter left. Took 7 days to appoint Potter after Hughton was binned.

It's been WEEKS already since RDZ left, and even longer than that since the club has known, surely.
I think we’ll get our manager in this week.

But I’m certain it’ll be done before the Euros/Transfer window by which time we’ll be approaching Potter having run out of our preferred options. I think he is ready and waiting in the wings, just in case.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I think we’ll get our manager in this week.

But I’m certain it’ll be done before the Euros/Transfer window by which time we’ll be approaching Potter having run out of our preferred options. I think he is ready and waiting in the wings, just in case.

The idea that GP who has turned down some quite decent looking jobs is willing to stand in the wings happy to be a last resort for the Albion is actually quite laughable imo. He is not coming back, if he was he’d have been appointed.

I have serious doubts that he’d even have considered it as first choice too.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Isn't the whole point of our model that the manager fits the system we want to play not the other way around?
Yes but our head of recruitment that found our great players has gone to Chelsea. He built up contacts over years. If we are still looking in similar leagues it will be a matter of renewing contacts that takes time.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The transfer window isn’t open for 2 weeks
We can still sign players though; we just can’t register them. But yes, it is still early days, especially with most European domestic competition only finishing last week.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The odd lady for the women's team and possibly a couple of gems for the future as per normal. When the manager is appointed in a month or two then we'll probably make a push for 1st team ready players around the start of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here