Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will see the wind farms in the sea

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I see Hastings will be getting some of the new 'out at sea' windfarms.

The Hastings Zone
Won by E.On Climate and Renewables UK. Potential energy yield: 0.6 gigawatts

BBC News - New wind farm zones are announced

I have seen the ones off the Yorkshire coast and think they look good. Who will be able to see the ones of Hastings ( or isle of wight ) when they are built.

Attachments

• _47066693_uk_wind_farms_226map.gif
    _47066693_uk_wind_farms_226map.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 274

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The Hastings zone looks nowhere near Hastings on that map - looks more like Brighton and Hove to me!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Hastings zone looks nowhere near Hastings on that map - looks more like Brighton and Hove to me!

I concur, looks like it stretches from Worthing to Brighton!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yup, they said Hastings on the news too but it's clearly slap bang in front of Brighton. Shocking Geography knowledge there Horton!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
thing is I cant imagine it being anywhere near Shoreham Port with all the ships coming & going...and Newhaven for that matter! I reckon they just got the red blob in the wrong place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
maybe they should have one off Brighton too. marvellous views and bring skilled jobs in.

it make me laugh that some are opposed to wind farms, when you consider nearly all would agree old school windmills are loverly picturesque buildings.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
thing is I cant imagine it being anywhere near Shoreham Port with all the ships coming & going...and Newhaven for that matter! I reckon they just got the red blob in the wrong place.

Might not be a factor, there is a large wind-farm off of the Wirral/N Wales coast, and shipping from Liverpool goes right past it (200-300 m?), and I guess Liverpool docks are busier than Shoreham, for cargo and ferries etc?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The Government needs to ensure that job opportunities are miximised from this venture, the DECC has been shouting loud about the various ports across the UK (Newhaven included) who can host construction facilities for wind turbines and the Government really need to support Port Authorities in these bleak times otherwise yet more construction jobs will go oversees.

The construction, or at least shipping of wind turbines from Newhaven Port is EXACLTY the type of long-term industry that a town like Newhaven needs and it will be a total wasted opportunity if its lost.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
maybe they should have one off Brighton too. marvellous views and bring skilled jobs in.

it make me laugh that some are opposed to wind farms, when you consider nearly all would agree old school windmills are loverly picturesque buildings.

:clap:

I think loads of wind turbines in the channel of the coast of Brighton would look cool!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
NIMBYS will be out in full force as usual

NIMBYS can f*** off, its not in anyones back yard, its hundreds if not thousands of meters out to sea. probably only see them on a clear day, when the NIMBY type will be too busy in a wood collecting branches for wickerware.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Might not be a factor, there is a large wind-farm off of the Wirral/N Wales coast, and shipping from Liverpool goes right past it (200-300 m?), and I guess Liverpool docks are busier than Shoreham, for cargo and ferries etc?

aahh cool, in that case then screw Hastings I want Windfarms where I can see them please!!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Since when has Hastings been in West Sussex? :facepalm:

Why call it the Hastings Zone when it's off the coast of Brighton. f***ing idiots.

Key facts on zone 6 – Hastings

The Hastings zone is located off the West Sussex coastline, out to sea off Brighton
The area is 270.2 km2, equivalent to 54,000 football pitches
It is over 13km from the coast at its closest point and nearly 26km at its furthest
At 19.7km to the centre of the Hastings zones, this represents the same distance as from Brighton to Glyndebourne
The shallowest parts of the zone at around 19m are of a similar depth to the London Array project awaiting construction in the Thames estuary
The deeper areas of up to 62m are more likely to be avoided, so not all of the zone will used to locate wind turbines

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Why call it the Hastings Zone when it's off the coast of Brighton. f***ing idiots.

i reckon to misdirect the nimby crew until its too late :lolol:

at the end of the day though, theres a strong green following in Brighton who should embrace this. if they dont they are hypocrits.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Since when has Hastings been in West Sussex? :facepalm:

Maybe (guessing here) the actual ElectroPlant or whatever it is, is based in Hastings? could be!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
i reckon to misdirect the nimby crew until its too late :lolol:

at the end of the day though, theres a strong green following in Brighton who should embrace this. if they dont they are hypocrits.

You would have thought so. Far too many councils claiming green credentials end up pandering to the NIMBY vote. Or they will be worrying about protecting the lesser-spotted fartwarbler...

Personally, I think these off-shore farms will be excellent.

There's a mahoosive wind farm on the southern-most tip of Spain - just west of where Gibraltar is. There must be hundreds if not thousands of turbines - and the whole spectacle and vista is a thing of beauty.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I'm not opposed to them per se, but they're only a small part of the answer. Nuclear power is critical in providing the UK's baseload of electricity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here