Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Saw The Highlights On Meridian Today?

Nov 12, 2003
Because how the referee did not give a penalty after 5 minutes is absolutely staggering.

Great cross from Hart right across the 6 yard box to unmarked Benjamin on the far side. He maybe tried to shoot but actually slotted a pass right into Oatway's path who was dead centre with the keeper covering the near post. Oatway stabs at the ball and it 's clearly going in before Carlisle leans over and sticks out his left forearm and deflects the ball away. The referee had a great view of this and indicated that it had hit the top of his chest - thus no penalty. If that's the case, Carlisle must be a contortionist to be able to get the top of his chest within one foot of the ground without falling over. Clearest penalty you'll ever see and McGhee was rightly annoyed afterwards and this is a shame because I thought the ref otherwise had a good game.

Also Day's save with his feet from Knight's shot at the end was quality.

Buzza - it was the Andover Arms.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We'd probably have gone 1-0 up and QPR would have been down to 10 men. The ref's incompetence was the final nail in our automatic promotion chances. Would have been interesting to see how QPR would have played after that. The luck we had in our two championship seasons has now been cancelled out by the bad luck we had last season and some of this.

Time for us to get lucky again soon?

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
If memory serves me right, Carlisle made his 'save' with his left arm. It is a shame the shot was not harder as it would have had that limb out of action as well. I'll explain...

Maybe I was the only one to notice this (although I pointed it out to my Dad and Brother who also saw) that Carlisle's right arm in the second half must have been injured. It just hung down by his side completely limp and I just hope for his sake it is not his drinking arm.

I watched him closely during the opening minutes of the second half and it did not improve. His left arm was fine and when running it was doing the usual actions but the right arm was life-less.

This should have been exposed by us more. Without a fully functional limb he would not have been able to run as fast or get enough leverage on jumps to win headers.

We should have used this to our advantage but didn't.

As for our lot I thought Mayo was our worse player and in my opinion was worse than Watson who was poor again. Hart finally had an ok game despite the first goal being down to him losing possession.

I thought Benjamin was brought in to add muscle and height up front but then we do not play to his strenghts so he cannot be judged. Roberts has an excellent kick on him but still seemed to be aiming for Knight as opposed to Benjamin but other than that Roberts was good. Leon seemed to be in a hurry to do just about everything and it cost us when we was through on goal. That said we often complain when players are too scared to shoot.

Carpenter was average and Oatway was poor. I think that nowadays Oatway is only really suited to sitting on the bench to be brought on in-front of the defence if we are defending a slender lead. Yeates was invisible again but we have become accustomed to that over the last few games. His going back is now no geat loss.

Cullip and Butters did ok as QPR are pretty good at going forward. The only blip were some uncharacteristic errors from Danny.

Oh well...

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Last edited:

South Stand Zealot

Jul 8, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lord Bracknell - Could not agree more.

The fact that the ref did not give a pen was entirely the fault of Dick Knight , Martin Perry and the office Receptionist

Can't these people ever do anything right ?

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

E17hoop

Dec 3, 2003
Ref was behind it - looked like it hit the top of Carlisle's left arm. Key part there is 'it hit' - he didn't put ball to arm. Refs give them, sometimes they don't.

If you had scored from a penalty then, I wonder if you would have shut up shop then - only team to be a goal ahead at LR in the league this year.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
E17hoop said:
Ref was behind it - looked like it hit the top of Carlisle's left arm. Key part there is 'it hit' - he didn't put ball to arm. Refs give them, sometimes they don't.

"Hit"... that's a very loose interpretation of the word. I suppose you're right, but I don't think it would have "hit" him if he hadn't plunged goalie-style to his left. We've had several 'keepers down the years who never made a save as good as that!

I was very depressed after seeing the result yesterday. BUt I'm much less depressed having seen the highlights. QPR and Plymouth are clearly the two best sides in the division, and there wasn't much in it, so i think we're still in with a great chance of making the play-offs at least.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It was a penalty - it had to be a red card. 1-0 10 men 10 minutes - wonder what might have happened - indeed wonder what should have happened!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
did anyone see hendersons brilliant performance against derby? gave the ball away 4 times in 10 seconds then ducked on the line to let them score,,,,fantastic

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Balti Pie Man said:
I can't believe you thought the referee had a good game!:angry:

Who said the ref had a good game? ??? ???

Andover Arms. Great little pub DCLAD.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here