Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who remembers the free gifts in Cereal packets circa 60's

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
60.s/70.s
Was reminded earlier when I saw something on e-bay. Some I recall are as follows

Plastic soldier figures Knights
Clickers (as used in the longest day anyone?)
Plastic submarines? where you put a dollop of soda salts in the hull and dropped intp the bath...truly
Also the cut out animal faces on the back of packs

Last edited:

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Yes Yes I do. As I was born in 1971 it must have been right through the 70's as well.

I remember, for many years after the practice died out still being dissapointed when there was nothing in a cereal box but cereal!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Was reminded earlier when I saw something on e-bay. Some I recall are as follows

Plastic submarines? where you put a dollop of soda salts in the hull and dropped intp the bath...truly
s

Plastic Frogmen with the same action as the subs.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Remember in the seventies Weetabix did cut-out Star Trek ship models and cut-out Doctor Who character/monster cards which I collected vast swathes of.

Yes I remember them, mainly from "Sugar Smacks" - o.k. they may sound like an illegal substance but I believe that they were the Kellogg equivalent of Sugar Puffs back in the day. Always seemed to be giving something away - remember that they did a series of little Thunderbirds models (but not T5 for some reason). I think that they used to alternate between free in the packet and save up packet top and send off offers. I got wise to the latter and used to save packet tops even when they didn't have an offer - the cereal companies hadn't cottoned on to the the fact that you could do this and started to print vouchers on the box instead.

To bring things up to date only a year ago I saved up 3 vouchers from Sugar Puffs and sent them off with my £1 for p&p and am now the proud owner of a 12" Honey Monster soft toy who is watching me as I type.

"Get out more Norman" I hear you all cry!

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Yep, remember Sugar Smacks too NP, and the Thunderbirds models.also remember in early days a kinda helicoptor thingy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
60.s/70.s

THIS

and also do you remember Angel delight that has printed on the inside the outline of a house so when you turned it inside out it was a model house

AND Sugar Puffs with strawberry balls that tasted a bit suspiciuos

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
....and Robertson jam Gollywogs. I had all bar the drummer...couldnt find one for love nor money.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Back to the subject though.

Kelloggs did a range of cards akin to the old cigarette cards, on a number of subjects, I remember Ships of the British Navy (that would be short set now!), Railways of Britain and then Railways of the World. These are now collectables.

A lot of other products did cards at a time when the cigarette manufacturers had turned their back on the idea, though cigar products did them for a while.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Also Typhoo tea had a series of A4 sizes card photographs of Footballers. I think you had to send off a number of tokens from the tea packets

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
60.s/70.s

Clickers (as used in the longest day anyone?)
Also the cut out animal faces on the back of packs

My favourite was the little plastic horse that had a string attached with a weight on the end that you dangled over the edge of a table, get the horse rocking and it would walk to the edge of the table, quite awesome when you were 5 years old.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
My favourite were the Rockets that you put caps in and then threw at the ground. Like the small ones in this picture
CapBombs2.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here