Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who owned subboteo cricket?

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Think it went out of production early 1980,s but recall having mine around 67-69

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Nope, I had one (new) in the mid-90s. Still probably hidden in a cupboard somewhere. Never know, maybe that's something the Aussies might actually beat us at. 'Cause it doesn't look like they will at real cricket any time in the next month or so.

Remember playing it in the late '60's - used to live around 200yds from where it was made in Langton Green. Recall that it was very difficult to get anyone out, but conversely very easy to score lots of runs - bit like the 2nd test really from an Australian perspective :lolol:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Test Match was the DOGS!!!!!

I could play that for hours and hours... once did a whole Ashes series in one day.

test_match_game.jpg

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Yep, I had this. Batting and bowling unrealistic but really fun none the less.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I had test match as shown above. Hours of fun when playing on my own, but used to get cross with my mate who repeatedly sat on the fielders and broke them. God it made me cross.

Must remember to punch him next time I see him.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
No but i did have world cup cricket which i believe was pretty much test match.

Did anyone have pro action football? I never had the patience for subutteo so that fulfilled all my football based entertainment for years.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Ive got Test Match in the loft still, great memories

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
Test Match was the daddy of cricket games. Sixes into the corners and if you played on a table top with good timimng you could hit the ball out of the ground! Also, with a wiggle of the bowling shoot as the ball came down you could pretend you were bowling your spinner, John Emburey was particularly effective in my team. One game we played had to be abandoned, possibly the only time a test match has been abandoned due to the ball being swallowed. The next test began once nature had taken its course.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Test Match was the daddy of cricket games. Sixes into the corners and if you played on a table top with good timimng you could hit the ball out of the ground! Also, with a wiggle of the bowling shoot as the ball came down you could pretend you were bowling your spinner, John Emburey was particularly effective in my team. One game we played had to be abandoned, possibly the only time a test match has been abandoned due to the ball being swallowed. The next test began once nature had taken its course.

Surely there would have been allegations of ball tampering, you really should have got the ECB involved maybe even the ICC.

I had the same game back in the early 90s, I think it was called 'World Cup Cricket' but was essentially the same thing in a new box. As mentioned a good waggle of the bowler in combination with the matt slower ball could create same great spin although there was always the risk of getting it wrong and bowling a wide.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I had the cricket, rugby and the football.

Cricket....a pain to set up, you coulnt use the bowling figure as the ball would shoot off the pitch at 100 miles an hour...the bails never stayed on and teh bat stick handle thing kept breaking.

Rugby...never saw the point....flicking every player to keep up with play was a farce...the only decent thing was the kicker, which was the football corner taker....spent many long seconds playing that game until it was consigned to the loft.

Football....we had our leagues, we had our cups, we even let girls play....( my mates sister was the dogs dangly bits at subbuteo football and she always played with my Norwich City team making it even worse.) One thing...subbuteo Floodlights...WHY?

I had the cricket, rugby and the football.

Cricket....a pain to set up, you coulnt use the bowling figure as the ball would shoot off the pitch at 100 miles an hour...the bails never stayed on and teh bat stick handle thing kept breaking.

Rugby...never saw the point....flicking every player to keep up with play was a farce...the only decent thing was the kicker, which was the football corner taker....spent many long seconds playing that game until it was consigned to the loft.

Football....we had our leagues, we had our cups, we even let girls play....( my mates sister was the dogs dangly bits at subbuteo football and she always played with my Norwich City team making it even worse.) One thing...subbuteo Floodlights...WHY?

I believe they did stands as well - double why! I forgot about the angling game, remember seeing it the shops but have no idea how it was played, must have been thrill a minute stuff. Kids today don't know how lucky they are.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I had subbuteo cricket. Forget the bails because they had been eaten by the hamster. Bowl as fast as possible to a field of a wicket keeper 8 slips and 2 short legs all on the boundary - it was a good idea which somehow didn't work as well it might.

Subbuteo football - endless arguments over flick or push, and the goal-keepers always snapped. Also why the stupid rule that you couldn't score from beyond the "thirty yard" line?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here