Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is your primary e-mail provider?

Which do you use for your primary e-mail?

• Gmail

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Hotmail

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Yahoo Mail

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • AOL

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Ovi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mail through your ISP (Virgin, O2, BT etc.)

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Other

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Personally I can't get enough of Google's excellent Gmail. It does everything I could possibly want, it's quick and reliable and the practically limitless storage is great too. I have all my other accounts going into my Gmail which applies labels and sorts all my messages accordingly. It also works flawlessly on my phone as an added bonus.

HOWEVER I am always surprised when people give me their e-mail addresses @hotmail.com or @aol.com etc. I just can't see ANY possible reason to go with ANY other provider, Google have just nailed it.

So what do you use?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Hotmail for me.

Every e-mail address I've had has been Hotmail (so about 10 years worth now), it does everything I need and it works flawlessly both on my laptop and through my phone. For me it's a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
See my problem with Hotmail is all the spam.

I have a Hotmail account just because I needed a Microsoft ID for something once but I've never given out the address and yet if I ever check it the inbox is overflowing with crap, all of it unsolicited. I couldn't handle that in my regular mailbox. Google is excellent at recognising spam and I rarely ever get anything from spammers cluttering up my inbox.

If I had Hotmail for my phone it would be forever beeping to tell me about junk I'd received and that would annoy me for wasting my time and precious battery

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
I use gmx, but one thing that surprises me is people who use isp emails, even more shocking is that I know a forum that bans gmail,hotmail, and yahoo email accounts and tries to get you to use ISP emails. I know that used to happen back in the dancing baby and flat eric days, but stupid in 2010.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Yahoo is fine. Provides a sound, basic service which does everything I want and it doesn’t seem to have had any of the privacy or downtime issues other provides have had. Whatever provider you are with once you’ve been with them a few years you are unlikely to change as it just entails too much aggro.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I think it's so naff when you see a business email address on the back of a white van which uses an ISP; bloggsplumbers @hotmail.com doesn't inspire any confidence in said business.

Last edited:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I dunno, changing your e-mail address isn't as difficult as changing your phone number. You can easily have mail from other accounts set up to forward to your preferred account and you can simply choose which one you give out.

I have a Yahoo account which I still use but I found the interface on the Yahoo site was annoying because it always made you click on to the inbox after logging in whereas I expect to be taken there first thing as a matter of course. Having my Yahoo e-mail forwarded to a separate dedicated label in my Gmail avoids me having to deal with the irritating Yahoo interface and means I can pick which account to send from in the one screen.

I too remember the days when webmail services were frowned upon and snottier websites would demand you register using only an ISP tied e-mail address. Presumably the assumption was that webmail was far more open to fraudulent use however it can't be ignored today. I have no idea what the e-mail address I have through my ISP is but why would I need it?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think it's so naff when you see a business email address on the back of a white van which uses an ISP; bloggsplumbers @hotmail.com doesn't inspire any confidence in said business.

I'm inclined to agree, that is LAME squared. Especially as it costs only a few quid to register a domain name and use that for your e-mail address. Worth the cost for ANYONE who expects to be taken seriously

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Personally I can't get enough of Google's excellent Gmail. It does everything I could possibly want, it's quick and reliable and the practically limitless storage is great too. I have all my other accounts going into my Gmail which applies labels and sorts all my messages accordingly. It also works flawlessly on my phone as an added bonus.

HOWEVER I am always surprised when people give me their e-mail addresses @hotmail.com or @aol.com etc. I just can't see ANY possible reason to go with ANY other provider, Google have just nailed it.

So what do you use?

Never heard of gmail, one mans meat in another mans...........................

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
You've NEVER heard of gmail? ? ?

UNBELIEVABLE

Well surely you are aware of a company called GOOGLE who have a number of internet related interests, yes? This same company have a free webmail service they call Gmail: Email from Google

It is THE greatest e-mail service around. Go and take a look, sign up for an account, you have nothing to lose and I guarantee you shall not regret it

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I use gmx, but one thing that surprises me is people who use isp emails,

I've only ever used isp e mails, i can access it from any computer in the world with an internet connection, why are you surprised people use them ?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

UNBELIEVABLE

Well surely you are aware of a company called GOOGLE who have a number of internet related interests, yes? This same company have a free webmail service they call Gmail: Email from Google

It is THE greatest e-mail service around. Go and take a look, sign up for an account, you have nothing to lose and I guarantee you shall not regret it

Of course i know google, but why should i "have" to know of their e mail service ? its not relevant, to me not needing an online e mail account.
it like me saying you must have heard of the Suzuki owners club !! if you don't ride a Suzuki motorcycle why would you, its not relevant.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
I've only ever used isp e mails, i can access it from any computer in the world with an internet connection, why are you surprised people use them ?

well if it works for it, it's great, however with past experiences when I had an isp email it was a headache, like being asked to pay to use to continue using the email after switching isp, file sending limits, very limited space for storage, and poor spam protection. This was awhile ago though but it felt like everything was a constant fee for stuff that webmail was offering in abundance for free.

I like having alot of space, 5gigs of space with GMX, privacy that gives me confidence, not having to deal with headaches when switching my internet provider and pop3/imap support. Some people like Google because of the same reasons and also integration with other google services. I like GMX because it works for me.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
gmail for throwaway stuff (mailing lists, forum registration, etc, etc)
my own mail server on my own domain for anything serious.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

UNBELIEVABLE

Perhaps he is just not as obsessed with what his email address looks like to others or email providers in general as you clearly are?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I use me.com

It started out as mac.com before Apple started charging for the service. Apart from the ropey time of me.com's launch, I'm pretty pleased with it, even if it's not free. I don't want to use gmail for my primary email as I don't trust Google over the issue of privacy, which the Google Buzz fiasco appeared to confirm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here