Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is/was the greatest reggae singer of all time ?

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
No1 - Alton Ellis
No2 - Gregory Isaacs
No3 - Cornell Campbell

honourable mentions to Johnny Clarke , Prince Buster ,Derrick Harriott & Toots [& Maytals]
and for favourite female singer - Phyllis Dillon

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
For voice. Cornell Campbell...listening to him now..incredible voice...ill drop some audio later, thats been up before, but, some may have missed them...ive never really liked Peter Tosh for some reason...

Honourable mention to lead singer of Mighty Diamonds whose name always escapes me, but sounds as good today as he ever has,
and Garnett Silk, taken from us way to early.

Cant believe ive missed out Freddie McGregor as I listen to him a lot more than I do any other artist..
Hes also a very nice man. My missus was Chairwoman for Brighton anti apartheid back in the day, and moaned about no black artists doing anything, so, she got in touch with him, and he came down and did a free concert at the corn exchange....not only that, he brought the bloody Studio One Band with him!! Ill never forget him that night singing Guantanamera in Spanish...beautiful... and one of my all time favourite tunes is Wine and Violence...they just dont write lyrics like that anymore....'let not mercy and truth forsake thee now, bind them about thy neck, write them up on the tables of thy heart'.....sad now when I hear lyrics like 'suck ya momma'

Now ive thought about it....Freddie McGregor 1st Cornell 2nd... just based on the fact he sings every style.
For presence and lyrics, Bob nobody comes close...still.

Last edited:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
personally, close call between prince buster and toots, but maybe thats just because i've been listening to them both quite a bit lately...:guitar:

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Alpha Blondie.
Lucky Dube (not so lucky as it turned out, murdered a couple of years ago).
Tiken Jah Fakoly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Billy Ocean

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
What do you mean?

Are you refferring just to skank? Or anything that came out of ska and rock steady?

As I prefer the older stuff Id probably choose Jackie Mittoo

Always preferred dekker to marley.

More a ska man... have recently been listening to Louis jordan, Prince Buster and the Skatalites

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here