Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who got the BLAME for Heseltine's Millennium Dome Project going tits up?

Answer - Blair and the Labour Party.

Next Question - Who will get the blame for the 2012 Olympics project running late and over budget?

Answer - Boris Johnson and David Cameron's Tory Party.

Can't see it happening, we in the know, had always esimated the "inclusive" regeneration budget at £9 bn, if you include the Police, security.

As Ken has said, its £9bn for East London, if he could have got more he would have.

But the regeneration element will always have to be fought for. And it's the mayor's job to do that.

I can see Boris easing up and concentrate on achieving nothing much more than getting the Olympic venues open on time. When it becomes obvious that the rest is an illusion, people will turn on him big-time.

The transport infrastructure won't be ready on time (as even Ken knows). Ken, however, intended to get it built anyway - because of the long-term benefits to East London. Boris will abandon it - because it won't be ready for the Olympics and he won't see the point of long-term regeneration.

And there'll be tears.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You lefties are all taking this very badly about Boris - in fact it is quite funny

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
But Johnson must be aware if he abandons any of the infastructure elements of the Olympics then we will have 6 weeks of carnage in East London.

This would be detremental to the Tories at the next general election and i am sure David Cameron will have or has had words to that effect.

BTW when is the latest they can call the election, Is it for May 09??

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its McGhee's fault

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Have a beer calm down, and cheer up the Tories are coming. :thumbsup:

Precisely and about bloody time as well, the red flag will soon come down.

You lefties are all taking this very badly about Boris - in fact it is quite funny

You might have noticed I am being rationale about this.

LC

But the regeneration element will always have to be fought for. And it's the mayor's job to do that.

I can see Boris easing up and concentrate on achieving nothing much more than getting the Olympic venues open on time. When it becomes obvious that the rest is an illusion, people will turn on him big-time.

The transport infrastructure won't be ready on time (as even Ken knows). Ken, however, intended to get it built anyway - because of the long-term benefits to East London. Boris will abandon it - because it won't be ready for the Olympics and he won't see the point of long-term regeneration.

And there'll be tears.

However, LB, we already have a Team in place working on the legacy, in conjunction with the ODA.

Boris isn't in control of this budget, I cannot see any rationale reason for him messing with it?

LC

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As Ken has said, its £9bn for East London, if he could have got more he would have.

eh? surely half of that (at least) is going in VAT and to policing/security and then theres the fees to the consultancies that set the plans and budgets and the buliding of the stadium facilities which will be redundant after the games. yeah, money well spent in East London.

so how much is actually going into the local ammenities and will have any benefit to the residents of east London? how many schools and hopsitals will be built? what happens to the neighbourhoods after a glut of cheap low grade flats are thrown up but the kudos wears off so the trendies leave the area? my sister lives out that way, f***ed any chance she has of buying in the area. great big money pit we should never have bothered with. much better to have simply spent a couple billion on a general regeneration project.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The reaction when Labour are finally outed from power should prove very entertaining.

eh? surely half of that (at least) is going in VAT and to policing/security and then theres the fees to the consultancies that set the plans and budgets and the buliding of the stadium facilities which will be redundant after the games. yeah, money well spent in East London.

so how much is actually going into the local ammenities and will have any benefit to the residents of east London? how many schools and hopsitals will be built? what happens to the neighbourhoods after a glut of cheap low grade flats are thrown up but the kudos wears off so the trendies leave the area? my sister lives out that way, f***ed any chance she has of buying in the area. great big money pit we should never have bothered with. much better to have simply spent a couple billion on a general regeneration project.

£500 m on security. VAT only on ODA expenditure, ie stadium facilities.

LDA will be leading on the regeneration work/ legacy work. £3bn here. No vat will be paid on this.

There already are plans for the area but masterplanning, consultation presently being undertaken.

Off hand at home I can not detail the health centres, schools, but they are there including half of new homes will be social housing.

As it happens I live pretty close as well and work fully in the area.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
But Johnson must be aware if he abandons any of the infastructure elements of the Olympics then we will have 6 weeks of carnage in East London.

This would be detremental to the Tories at the next general election and i am sure David Cameron will have or has had words to that effect.

BTW when is the latest they can call the election, Is it for May 09??

no its may 2010

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
The Olympic site better be ready, I'll be livid if the seats aren't ready for me to go and watch the Mens Left Handed Archery and people firing guns at little targets.

No reason to abandon the railway infrastructure lements, they are already underway. on time, on budget, to be completed b4 the Olympics.

Crossrail is due for 2018 and was never part of the Olympic equation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here