Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you think would be best to replace Brown as Labour Leader?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Of all the possible options in Labour Party, who do you think should replace Brown if that situation arises..

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
David Cameron should replace him as PM.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
In an ideal world, I would love to have seen Robin Cook as PM. Such a clever politician as him could have easily made Cameron seem lightweight!

A great loss.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
In an ideal world, I would love to have seen Robin Cook as PM. Such a clever politician as him could have easily made Cameron seem lightweight!

A great loss.

:laugh:A clever man, but rather sanctimonious and deeply disliked by most voters (other than traditional lefties). He could never have won an election IMHO, other than for the Tories. To his credit, he did manage to get his end away a lot though - no small achievement for someone who resembled a ginger gnome!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
:laugh:A clever man, but rather sanctimonious and deeply disliked by most voters (other than traditional lefties). He could never have won an election IMHO, other than for the Tories. To his credit, he did manage to get his end away a lot though - no small achievement for someone who resembled a ginger gnome!

I thought he was rather witty. His argument in favour of PR was if the average British citizen can master 8 way accumulator betting, then PR should be a walk in the park!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Makes me wonder how things would be today if the Labour party had not been deprived of the accumulated brilliance of John Smith, Robin Cook and Mo Mowlem.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I'd be setting up a site on the interwebby thing, asking people to bung £20 in each, to own their own country, have a say in who sits in what seat in the green room and who they can retire out of the upstairs red room, sort of buy your own club thing...

Although I suppose then there would have to be some sort of system to ensure those who couldn't put £20 in would be funded the money, those who can put £20 in but can't be bothered still get some sort of say, those who don't have a bank account which allows withdrawals on the third Thursday of any month starting with J, could have a say...oh hang on - thats what already happens in this country...

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Makes me wonder how things would be today if the Labour party had not been deprived of the accumulated brilliance of John Smith, Robin Cook and Mo Mowlem.

Exactly, that's something that is easy to forget. Back in 1997 Labour actually had MP's that were generally liked by the public and formidable politicians. Just the sort of people who could launch a DECENT counter attack against Cameron.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Who do I think would be best to replace Brown as Labour Leader? Nobody.

Labour IS Gordon Brown.

If that don't suit Middle-England then tough shit, vote in a Tory government to destroy the NHS, reverse investment in the transport network, and - given half a chance - get rid of the minimum wage.

But don't expect things to get any better on the credit crunch front, or the fuel price front or the energy price front. cos these are global forces and mostly beyond the control of the UK government.

Tony Blair got lucky on that front, as did Gordon Brown to a certain extent as chancellor, but the global forces are causing most of the current problems. But, heigh-ho, maybe people just want a change of party for the sake of it, despite the Tories appearing to have very very little in the way of a positive vision for the future.

Fair enough, the blame can be laid at the PM's door for the 10p tax fiasco. That's been acknowledged as a mistake, which is currently trying to be put right. But no way does Gordon Brown deserve the kicking he's currently getting.

Last edited:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Nobody. Labour IS Gordon Brown. If that don't suit Middle-England then tough shit, vote in a Tory government to destroy the NHS, reverse investment in the transport network, and - given half a chance - get rid of the minimum wage. But don't expect things to get any better on the credit crunch front, or the fuel price front or the energy price front. cos these are global forces. Tony Blair got lucky on that front, as did Gordon Brown to a certain extent as chancellor, but the global forces are causing most of the current problems. But, heigh-ho, maybe people just want a change of party for the sake of it, despite the Tories appearing to have very very little in the way of a positive vision for the future. Fair enough. But no way does Gordon Brown deserve the kicking he's currently getting.

But regardless of all that, does he really to suck up to Daily Mail? Such as the whole Cannabis business..

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
He didn't go "WELL ALRIGHT" so I wouldn't say he did:lolol:

Good point - the 'well alright' was about as cringeworthy as it gets. But Smith was responsible for letting the cat out of the bag on tax rises and gave the Tories the amunition they needed for the tax bombshell ad campaign - which was brutally effective.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Good point - the 'well alright' was about as cringeworthy as it gets. But Smith was responsible for letting the cat out of the bag on tax rises and gave the Tories the amunition they needed for the tax bombshell ad campaign - which was brutally effective.

Isn't there a rumour Smith deliberately did the tax rise leak in order to derail Kinnock and leave the field open for himself to assume control?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here