• Hamster

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Little giraffes want a small furry creature(s) for Christmas. What do people think are the best. Poll to follow.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Cats are good. I had cat for most of my life. They look after themselfs, andall you need to do is feed them and take them to the vets when they need too. I think pets for kids is important. Anything that they can help with resposibilty and learning how to treat liveing beings. Bit gay i know., but true.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
does it have to be from that list?

we have at one stage or the other had all of those. but if you are open to suggestions get a chicken or two. get an eglu and you are set. contrary to popular belief they are very friendly - we have chooks that are non-pets, but our pets that stay in the eglu are tame. the children pick them up, they play with them, they are friendly. the eglu is an expensive outlay but one i can completely recommend. we have a whole menagerie of beasts here and the chickens are my favourite. and also that of the children. bonus is the eggs for breakfast.

i'd pick cat from your list though.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sorry narrowed down the obvious list on the basis we already have two dogs (so poultry is out!), one of the kids is allergic to cats, and we already have some fish.

Does that help narrow down the choice? And what is an eglu?

does it have to be from that list?

we have at one stage or the other had all of those. but if you are open to suggestions get a chicken or two. get an eglu and you are set. contrary to popular belief they are very friendly - we have chooks that are non-pets, but our pets that stay in the eglu are tame. the children pick them up, they play with them, they are friendly. the eglu is an expensive outlay but one i can completely recommend. we have a whole menagerie of beasts here and the chickens are my favourite. and also that of the children. bonus is the eggs for breakfast.

i'd pick cat from your list though.

I was thinking about keeping chickens just as the bird flu thing happened. After further reading I discovered that the world influenza pandemic early last century was caused by bird flu mutating to human. And aren't we overdue one?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
rat, sorry. my son had two but he is away at school now and wasn't able to take them so they lodge with his cousin now. great pets, clean, quiet and friendly.

we have four dogs and chickens, no excuse ;)

an eglu is a little chicken house designed especially for back gardens.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
A nice clean pussy. :smokin:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Guine Pig.

Less stroppy than rabbits and love being stroked.

I have five and they are all happy sitting on your lap watching TV.

They also are very affectionate and once they begin to recognise your voice they will squeek like mad when you come in the room.

Very sociable animals and great for kids as they don't mind being petted and held.

Just make sure you don't make them live in a hamster cage like some arse I saw at the vets the other day...

Guinea Pigs = Cool as f*ck.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I also have a hamster and it is noisy as hell.

Guinea pigs are territorial and won't try and escape their surroundings. Rabbits and hamster most certainly will.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
goldfish are easiest but from your list I really couldn't go for any. They all end up in cages :(

Go for a Degu. I have 4 at the moment which I plan to breed and they are intelligent, funny and cute. Although you'll have to do a bit of reading up on them before you buy.

Failing that, go for a rabbit. Hamsters die too quickly which is never nice for the kiddies and Guinea Pigs, in contrast to what Richie says, I find are always a bundle of nerves and not very cuddly. Go for a pair of female rabs.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Don't really like any animal you have to keep in a cage but of the list, I'd go for a guinea pig. Hamsters escape and chew their way through everything (friends needed their house re-wiring as a result!) and rats are really only suitable pets for terriers.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Go for a Degu. I have 4 at the moment which I plan to breed and they are intelligent, funny and cute. Although you'll have to do a bit of reading up on them before you buy.

Failing that, go for a rabbit. Hamsters die too quickly which is never nice for the kiddies and Guinea Pigs, in contrast to what Richie says, I find are always a bundle of nerves and not very cuddly. Go for a pair of female rabs.

I find it depends on how much you handle them early on.

As I say we have five and all the ones we got when they were very young and handled from the off are very laid back. The one we got when he was a bit older and possibly already stuck in his ways is a bit more of a wriggler.

If you get a baby guinea pig and handle it for a short time every day (or near enough) they are very affectionate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here