Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Sussex team would you most like to see join the Albion in the league?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I guess the best hope at the moment would be Crawley Town, being as they've now reached the dizzy heights of the conference.

Otherwise Lewes have been trying their best to climb the leagues of late I believe.

I for one would love to see Crawley or the Rooks make it to league football, and it's about time Sussex had another league representative.

But who would everyone else like?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Anyone who calls their ground The Dripping Pan deserves to climb as high in the various football leagues as they can, if only so Sky TV commentators have to say "welcome to The Dripping Pan" without giggling.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I too would love to know why. The club's official site seems to offer no clues as to where the name comes from.

Another reason I wanna see the Rooks climb the leagues is because they've got a player called Barrington Belgrave. Now THAT is a name

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Only reason I have seen for the name is that monks used to wash their clothes in the river there and so that bit of Lewes (formerly a meadow) is where they drip-dried them. Sounds like a load of cock to me, but that's all I've seen to explain it.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having gone to college there, I have a soft spot for Lewes. It would be good to see them there.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
None. The Albion is the only team I support in Sussex.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
fataddick said:
Only reason I have seen for the name is that monks used to wash their clothes in the river there and so that bit of Lewes (formerly a meadow) is where they drip-dried them. Sounds like a load of cock to me, but that's all I've seen to explain it.

It is where the monks used to make salt and the field was used as a drippping pan which dried out to produce the salt ..hence dripping pan

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
Correct me if I'm wrong Lewes fans....but will the club be able to develop the ground much more? I thought the area (or the grass banks?) were protected....which might hinder their progress.

I would love to see any Sussex club reach the league, especially Worthing (Again problems developing the ground).

With Sussex covering such a vast area I'm sure it is only a matter of time.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like Fran my answer is currently 'None'. I love to see Sussex sides doing well and I was genuinely pleased for Lewes when they won promotion.

However (and feel free to call this paranoia) I think at this moment if another Sussex side gets in the League it could damage us. Not only by taking support but also they'd have their own youth set-up and would take players who would otherwise probably come to us. Perhaps when we get Falmer and are playing regularly in the Champions' League (as opposed to The Championship) I may feel differently but until then I like the fact that we're the top dogs and the others 'know their place'.

The Orange Seagull

Time Traveller
Jul 8, 2004
Stuck in the 80's
I'd like to see Eastbourne Borough reach the football league as they're only just down the road from where I live,they have a nice little ground (with covered terracing too!) and a good social club but league football will never happen here because although they have spent money improving the ground in recent years they refuse to spend any money on getting any decent players in,so Conference South is about as high as they will ever get!

From what i've seen recently,Crawley and Lewes seem to be the two most ambitious non league clubs in sussex with the potential to make it to the league although Lewes would have to make major improvements to their ground first.

Hopefully the Albion will always be the top team in Sussex and will always remain in the league too!

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Where has all this support for crawley come from they are scum and there players would have to deserve respect just to clean our youth teams boots.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
if worthing got in the league, that would course a dilema about who i should support! so i hope its just brighton, i dont mind crawley or lewes to get there but not worthing!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Anyone but Crawley, Ideally Horsham but that will never happen but as long as Crawley don't I don't mind.

Ditchy is right about the Dripping Pan getting its name from its former use as a source of salt. Whether the monks were involved is a matter of speculation. Other Sussex rivers, not just the Ouse, were centres of salt making - there were sites on the Adur at Lancing, Coombes, Botolphs, Upper Beeding and Bramber, for example, as well as a big site at Laughton, fed by Glynde Reach.

As for developing the Lewes Stadium, it is, of course, in the AONB and the future National Park - which could be challenging. This didn't stop Lewes District Council approving the new terracing that opened last year, without significant objections from any of the neighbours.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Like Fran my answer is currently 'None'. I love to see Sussex sides doing well and I was genuinely pleased for Lewes when they won promotion.

However (and feel free to call this paranoia) I think at this moment if another Sussex side gets in the League it could damage us. Not only by taking support but also they'd have their own youth set-up and would take players who would otherwise probably come to us. Perhaps when we get Falmer and are playing regularly in the Champions' League (as opposed to The Championship) I may feel differently but until then I like the fact that we're the top dogs and the others 'know their place'.

Same here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here