Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which players won't be going to Japan?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
With the Euro's and Copa America in their final week and a decent percentage of the squad back for pre-season training which players won't be going to Japan, and will be given rest time or extra holiday in light of their international commitments?

Presumably from :

Dunk
Verbruggen
Gilmour?
Enciso?
Gross? (either extended holiday time - or to arrange a move back to Germany)
Undav (same reason)
Moder
Sarmiento
McGill

Any others who may be given an extended period of leave?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't know where March, Fergie and Hinshelwood are in their recoveries so could be one or more of them missing out - I thought Estupinian had already been reported as not being ready for the start of the season too.................

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Don't know where March, Fergie and Hinshelwood are in their recoveries so could be one or more of them missing out - I thought Estupinian had already been reported as not being ready for the start of the season too.................
Solly is a long way from match fitness, in the video he was being told to return the ball gently. Currently it looks like very early days for him to be kicking a ball.
My money would be on Nov/Dec at least.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Anyone knocked out from their respective tournaments at this point should be going
Hmm. So they are allowed some sort of break.

If the first match is 24th July, the players can't just go straight into the match, they need time to train first

So if they went out in the QF for example 5th July, (for example Sarmiento) then they had a 10 days training before the first game in Japan, that's a summer break of 8 days. Does that sound right to you?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

If the first match is 24th July, the players can't just go straight into the match, they need time to train first

So if they went out in the QF for example 5th July, (for example Sarmiento) then they had a 10 days training before the first game in Japan, that's a summer break of 8 days. Does that sound right to you?
For £40K a week it would sound f***in' tremendous!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Solly is a long way from match fitness, in the video he was being told to return the ball gently. Currently it looks like very early days for him to be kicking a ball.
My money would be on Nov/Dec at least.
I have doubts that his recovery will ever be to a PL level... he has had three very serious injuries, that takes its toll in the context of an intense PL environment.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

These players have already been in a training environment, players like Gilmore, Dunk and Moder would obviously get a quick holiday in with family etc, but could easily take some part of the Japan games, they are not intended to be intense full on games.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
These players have already been in a training environment, players like Gilmore, Dunk and Moder would obviously get a quick holiday in with family etc, but could easily take some part of the Japan games, they are not intended to be intense full on games.
Can't believe what i'm reading on this thread.

No time away from football at all? Is player burn out not a thing any more?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

I'm not saying they'll play in the first game, but I think they will go to Japan. Some probably straight from vacation (= no 10 days of training before the first game). 2-4 weeks is the standard when coming back from a tournament.

The trip to Japan probably has a lot of elements of team building into it so we might push for players to come even if they only do light training. We'll see, I guess.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm not saying they'll play in the first game, but I think they will go to Japan. Some probably straight from vacation (= no 10 days of training before the first game). 2-4 weeks is the standard when coming back from a tournament.

The trip to Japan probably has a lot of elements of team building into it so we might push for players to come even if they only do light training. We'll see, I guess.
We will see.

In my mind I think it's mental as much as physical. Dunky for example is having to psyche himself up as if he's playing for every match, having had to go through the same process for god knows how many euro games and PL games and FA cup games and England friendlies. I wouldn't even consider taking him.

I reckon it's cleaner just to not take anyone who has played international football this summer. Doesn't mean they can't start work in Lancing after having had a good 2 or 3 weeks on a beach somewhere warm

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Can't believe what i'm reading on this thread.

No time away from football at all? Is player burn out not a thing any more?
Totally agree that those who have been in the Copa/Euros need a break.

Last season a couple of players flew direct to the US and didn’t join up with the squad in the UK for training first so there is this option for them too, which could provide them with a bit of a longer break.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We will see.

In my mind I think it's mental as much as physical. Dunky for example is having to psyche himself up as if he's playing for every match, having had to go through the same process for god knows how many euro games and PL games and FA cup games and England friendlies. I wouldn't even consider taking him.

I reckon it's cleaner just to not take anyone who has played international football this summer. Doesn't mean they can't start work in Lancing after having had a good 2 or 3 weeks on a beach somewhere warm
You may be forgetting the clubs contractual obligations that underpin the two games in a big stadium.....ie not playing a raft of squad and u23 players.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
You may be forgetting the clubs contractual obligations that underpin the two games in a big stadium.....ie not playing a raft of squad and u23 players.
Even without the eight or nine that could be missing, there's still a decent PL squad going to Japan.
And as long as Mitoma play (if he's fit... I guess) I really don't see anyone in Japan really giving a shit if Lewis Dunk is there or in Lancing.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Even without the eight or nine that could be missing, there's still a decent PL squad going to Japan.
And as long as Mitoma play (if he's fit... I guess) I really don't see anyone in Japan really giving a shit if Lewis Dunk is there or in Lancing.
In fact, even if none of the players who played international football go it's still a good side.

I think, hope and expect that the players we saw in the training video, minus Solly will be the ones, boarding the plane.

I also expect the new Japanese women's player to be there signing a few autographs and being in a few selfies!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here