Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which other football league clubs have you followed as well as Brighton?

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Blackburn, Lewes, Whitehawk, the only premiership team i dont mind is Tottenham but doesnt bother me if they lose one bit. The other 3 teams resuls i always look for

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
Luton in the late 80s

Loved it when they beat arsenal in the final of the littlewoods cup

What a horrible place to associate myself with. I was quickly cured:albion2:

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I'm actually very surprised at the amount of fans, well fans for now, that have followed other clubs as well as Brighton!

I mean I'll always look out for any Sussex teams but Brighton have and always will be the only team for me.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
no shame in saying i follow Arsenal too. i lived there and had a season ticket for 2 years when i was much younger and still manage to get to 3 or 4 games a season.

since living in Cheltenham i've also been to a dozen home and one away game with them

None , i cant imagine supporting another team apart from the place you were born .
Blimey! If that was true, I'd be supporting Leeds United.

Teams I have followed because I've lived there long enough to attend matches regularly ... Newport County (hopefully returning to League football next season) and Birmingham City.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Isn't there just one real answer to the question which teams who do you support?
1) Brighton & Hove Albion
2) Whoever Palace are playing

I have only ever followed Brighton, I went to a few Lewes matches when they were on their promotion runs because a friend was a keen supporter but i found it boring as i didn't care who won and the standard of football was poor.

When i worked in London i did travel to Gillingham regularly, but that was only because that's where the Albion were playing their home games.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm actually very surprised at the amount of fans, well fans for now, that have followed other clubs as well as Brighton!

I mean I'll always look out for any Sussex teams but Brighton have and always will be the only team for me.

Seriously, why are you surprised? There are two main reasons for following other clubs: firstly not everyone is born in Sussex and for a lot of us Brighton wasn't the first club we saw. Secondly even in Sussex there has always been the phenomena of people who support little ol' Brighton and also a 'big' club. And contrary to popular opinion this isn't some dreadful modern affliction caused by evil Sky and the Premier League - it's always been the case. Certainly when I moved down to Sussex in January 1966 it wasn't considered strange that I supported Palace and Chelsea, all the boys in my class supported Brighton AND a first division club. Well, I say all the boys, one said he only supported Brighton and he was considered a bit weird.

If you did a poll of current Brighton fans who have ONLY supported Brighton and have never followed another club I think you'd be shocked at how low the percentage would be.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
I watched Wycombe Wanderers quite a lot when I lived there. Refused to sing Wycombe 'til I die, as there will never be a number 1 team for me, except Brighton despite me moving away over 20 years ago!

Just chuckling at the thought of anyone singing 'Wycombe til I die' without irony.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Well documented by me on previous years threads along the same lines, but I started supporting Stevenage when they were [very] non-league. However the amazing progress the club has shown over the past few seasons sometimes gets me worried about a clash in future seasons!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Seriously, why are you surprised? There are two main reasons for following other clubs: firstly not everyone is born in Sussex and for a lot of us Brighton wasn't the first club we saw. Secondly even in Sussex there has always been the phenomena of people who support little ol' Brighton and also a 'big' club. And contrary to popular opinion this isn't some dreadful modern affliction caused by evil Sky and the Premier League - it's always been the case. Certainly when I moved down to Sussex in January 1966 it wasn't considered strange that I supported Palace and Chelsea, all the boys in my class supported Brighton AND a first division club. Well, I say all the boys, one said he only supported Brighton and he was considered a bit weird.

If you did a poll of current Brighton fans who have ONLY supported Brighton and have never followed another club I think you'd be shocked at how low the percentage would be.

This is true,when we had a shit team in the mid 70's loads of lads had another team,usually Man Utd or a London club

In fact my Old Man told me years ago that it wasn't uncommon for followers of Brighton to pop down to Fratton Park in the 50's just to watch 1st Division football

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I been watching Brighton since 1964 however in the days of third division football I would go to London with friends to watch division 1 football Spurs Arsenal and even Palace when Brighton played away I surported Wimbledon against Leeds. But my first team will always be the Albion oh i have watch Haywards Heath and Seaford in the county League.:albion2::albion2:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Wolves when I lived there for two years 1987-1989.

Really enjoyed it. Steve Bull scored what felt like 50 goals two seasons running. Home games at Molineux, stood on the massive South Bank, and away trips taking big followings around the old 4th and 3rd Divisions...

Lots of highlights but 50,000 going down to Wembley for the Sherpa Van Trophy Final was special and also Wolves fans taking the home end at Portman Road when Steve Bull played for England B...

Also watched Brighton a lot and Peterborough and Newcastle a bit (friends' teams) in those years (and Wolves reserves!) - did about 70 games in total during 87/88...!!! Happy days.

Jan 30, 2008
Chelsea, see some proper rows up there , young lad at the time, Spurs springs to mind, remember spurs turning up in the shed before kick off with chelsea waiting for them , football seemed a side issue in those days left a lasting impression , been to Charlton and Palace :whistle:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is true,when we had a shit team in the mid 70's loads of lads had another team,usually Man Utd or a London club

Are you sure you've got the right decade? The one that ended with us in the 1st Division. I seem to recall only one shit season in the 70s, and that one was in the same division we're in now!

Certainly all my schoolmates were Brighton through and through (in Burgess Hill), and only a few went to see other teams or pretended to support them.

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
Born in liverpool but supported chester , i cant remember why , watched chester play brighton and was struck way back then how decent the Brighton fans were and of the numbers that had travelled up to chester ,moved down here 12 years ago now and i would think even if i moved away Brighton would be my team , there are not many clubs around that try to make going to a football match a good family day out as Brighton do .

I remember my first match at withdean not knowing any of the players names ect and feeling a little out of place but 20 minutes chatting to the locals in the sportsman made me feel at ease whereas before if you went to a away ground / pub you just watched the match went home and kept your head down with little or no interaction with opposing fans ,which is a shame because since being a Brighton fan some of the best games have been made better by having a chat and a laugh with the other teams fans pre match .

Im sure those stuck in the 70s and 80s mindset of how football matchdays should be, will be cringeing at the thought of sharing a pint with opposing fans rather than trying to perform the windmill dance with them but hopefully evolution will finally catch up with them at some point , Brighton and Hove Albion are a fantastic club to be a part of and all the components are there for top flight football at some point, going by the amount of youngsters at the amex and around town sporting their replica shirts things can only get better .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here