Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which club do you think are the most well supported in Brighton?

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Alright, a bit of a leading title but hear me out. I was talking to a few mates the other day about the club and how much potential there is for growth here, what with the fan base that is (or could be) accessible within the city alone. That's without even going into the rest of Sussex and parts of Surrey but the thing that seemed to keep coming up was that despite the number of football fans within the city, a lot of people don't care for Brighton & Hove Albion as much as they do other clubs.

Thinking back to my school days, which weren't as long ago as some of yours may have been, Albion were probably the 6th or 7th best supported club - I'm not talking about match goers because they probably would've been 1st or 2nd in that respect - but who people considered themselves fans of, which in my book is pretty bad in any one club city/county.

Even now, when I do work in schools, I'll ask the kids (and teachers) who they support it's still Man United or Chelsea and so on, or you'll get lucky and they'll say something like Tottenham "and" Brighton. I know there will always be glory hunters and kids are probably the clearest example of that but they're the ones that need to be targeted by the club for long term growth and at the moment, there seems to be little wavering from them being Premier League fans.

Obviously the clubs been in the shit for a while now, even in the better recent years of winning back-to-back titles and being in the Championship, the club's not really made the city its' own in say, the sense that Newcastle United have, being pretty much the only supported club up there.

Now things are looking up, with the team playing well and winning, the ground being nearly complete and the club making it fairly affordable for fans to go next season, some people may be converted but do you still think there will be the feeling that Brighton might be a second club in it's own city?

I'm not trying to incite anyone with this, just genuinely asking.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Interesting question! Obviously the city of Brighton & Hove is not a hotbed of football and Premiership fans may well outnumber the residents. Unless it was a census question, the answer will probably never be known!

seagullsmugglers

Feb 16, 2011
The busiest games at our Sports Bar are Spurs, Man. Utd, Chelsea and Real Madrid! Lots of Spanish guys and Spurs fans without Sky maybe:thumbsup:

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Interesting question! Obviously the city of Brighton & Hove is not a hotbed of football and Premiership fans may well outnumber the residents. Unless it was a census question, the answer will probably never be known!

Well of your group of mates, who is it and by a considerable margin?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Well, when I was at school in Brighton back in the early 1980s, I was one of the few who openly admitted supporting the Albion – and we were in the top flight, then. The headmaster's son was Arsenal, loads were Liverpool. I was Liverpool myself, until I saw the light :clap2:

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
I went to a pretty small and shit school (in Worthing) with about probably 60 or so people in my year but when I think back to my time there, I was the only person who regularly went to Albion matches. I know there were a few fans in other years who went to most games but support for the Albion was pretty thin on the ground amongst all the Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool supporters. I reckon the amount of people in the local area who actually support BHA as their first team are well well in the minority.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Judging by how busy my local is for various games, I would say Liverpool. Busiest I've ever seen it the other week for the Chelsea v Liverpool game and hardly anyone was supporting Chelsea.

My 15 year old lad goes to school in Shoreham.

He has always been the only Albion fan in his class & indeed to his knowledge his year! Most of his friends say and who else do you support & cannot understand that he doesn't support anyone else than Brighton.

Finally, with our success some other kids are watching the Albion whilst still supporting other clubs.

What the Albion are very poor at is going into schools, handing out programmes, goodies, tickets etc. They certainly have not done this in Shoreham nor I suspect anywhere else! Its all well & good having sessions for the kids in the community, however, these are aimed at kids who want to play football, not just to watch the team!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My 15 year old lad goes to school in Shoreham.

He has always been the only Albion fan in his class & indeed to his knowledge his year! Most of his friends say and who else do you support & cannot understand that he doesn't support anyone else than Brighton.

Finally, with our success some other kids are watching the Albion whilst still supporting other clubs.

What the Albion are very poor at is going into schools, handing out programmes, goodies, tickets etc. They certainly have not done this in Shoreham nor I suspect anywhere else! Its all well & good having sessions for the kids in the community, however, these are aimed at kids who want to play football, not just to watch the team!
This isn't a new phenomena. I've said before that when I was at school in Lancing (1966 - 1975) there was only one kid who supported Brighton only and he was considered a bit weird. The rest of us all supported Brighton and a 1st division (premier) club. The only difference between then and later generations is there weren't nearly so many Liverpool fans around as they hadn't had their period of dominance yet. Otherwise it was the usual suspects: Chelsea, Man U, Everton, Arsenal, West Ham and Spurs.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I would say a lot of clubs fans don't even live in the town or city full stop,i would say brighton has more fans outside the city easily than in:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here