Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

which 1 for eng?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Jenas May Fill In For Beckham

Jermaine Jenas has emerged as a surprise contender to replace David Beckham as Sven Goran Eriksson ponders his formation against Azerbaijan.

Eriksson has been debating whether to return to a 4-4-2 formation, with Shaun Wright-Phillips on the right and Ledley King in contention to start at left-back, with Ashley Cole in midfield.

However, he was also experimenting in training on Tuesday with 21-year-old Jenas, who has yet to start for his country, rather than Owen Hargreaves in Beckham's right-sided role within a midfield trio.

That would mean Jermain Defoe keeping his place up front alongside Michael Owen, who will replace Beckham as captain in Baku, with Wayne Rooney in behind.

Eriksson, however, was giving little away as he insisted: "We deserved to win against Wales and, for the next game, you try to change as little as possible.

"We dominated that game all the time so we might do that system again, maybe. It depends. We will be practising one or two different things.

"If I want to play Shaun Wright-Phillips, I think we should go back to 4-4-2. Otherwise, I would have to pick another player if I wanted to keep the same organisation as against Wales."

Asked about the possibility of King coming in at left-back, he added: "It's an option. To play a natural 4-4-2, you want a left-sided player with pace who can beat people and provide good crosses.

"Jamie Carragher can do it, Phil Neville can do it and Ledley King can do it. We have got three options, but maybe Ledley King has more pace than the other two."

England (if 4-3-3): Robinson, G Neville, A Cole, Ferdinand, Campbell, Butt, Lampard, Jenas, Rooney, Defoe, Owen.

England (if 4-4-2): Robinson, G Neville, King, Ferdinand, Campbell, Butt, A Cole, Lampard, Wright-Phillips, Rooney, Owen.

i cant see why he cant go for the 4-3-3 with wright-phillips in? even though it may be more attacking than beckham, we are playin a mediocre side for god sake!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is Hargreaves destined to only ever be a sub? He should play, after all he has done sterling service on the left when asked and not really ever done much wrong. He gets down the wing to put the cross in and tracks back to cover when needed.

Alternativly go with Wright-Philips as he has obvious class and a little bit of magic. Jenas? he might be one for the future but right now should be well down the pecking order.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It would be Wright-Phillips for me. I think he would link well with Defoe.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Hargreaves also. I'd like to see W-P get his chance at some stage, but you can't play a winger in a midfield three - even against lesser sides, you've got to have some cover in there and some people to win the ball back, else the strikers would never get hold of it.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
4 4 2

Owen and Rooney up front

Hargreves Lampard Butt Wright-Phillips

across the midfield, no other changes

:clap: :clap:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Hargreaves should start, Wright-Phillips come on as a sub later on to tear into the knackered defence.

Besides he's only played 25mins (?) of an International game, Hargreaves has experience and we dont wanna go all out attack and let a sloppy goal in...its happened before!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hargreaves if we're playing 3 attackers, which I think we should stick with following Saturday's game. Would like to see Wright Phillips on the right of a 4 man midfield otherwise.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I like Jenas.
Good quick feet and always a threat going forward. Not sure how well he'll adapt to being on the right hand side of a trio, but its worth a sniff. Quite frankly we could play Christopher Biggins in Beckhams position tonight and still get a result, so its as good a game as any to try out Jenas there.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
CrabtreeBHA said:
Hargreaves should start, Wright-Phillips come on as a sub later on to tear into the knackered defence.

Besides he's only played 25mins (?) of an International game, Hargreaves has experience and we dont wanna go all out attack and let a sloppy goal in...its happened before!

Above sounds like the best idea, possibly do the same up front and start Smith then bring on Defore when their defence are bruised, tired and wanting their mummys..

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
jenas is good, but id rather see hargreaves

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here