• Sri Lanka

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

Windels

Jan 15, 2011
Tunbridge Wells
My girlfriend and I are backpacking at the moment and have found ourselves with about three weeks to spare before going home. Rather than go home early we would like to visit another country. We have narrowed it down to three choices but can't decide which one to go for. So naturally, we will let NSC decide for us. If you vote for other, then make it within in reason and somewhere that is relatively near any of the other options please.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sri Lanka, tremendous country. People are very friendly and helpful.

Windels

Jan 15, 2011
Tunbridge Wells
And three weeks is enough time to experience it properly? I am really open to suggestions. I hear there are some good treks in Sri Lanka as well?

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
I had this dilemma when I was travelling - opted for Sri Lanka (although I had been there before 7 years ago) and in my mind the touristy areas have changed for the worse. Mates who have been to the Phillipines say it is amazing. Sri Lanka does have the plus of being alot closer to the UK.....

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
My girlfriend and I are backpacking at the moment and have found ourselves with about three weeks to spare before going home. Rather than go home early we would like to visit another country. We have narrowed it down to three choices but can't decide which one to go for. So naturally, we will let NSC decide for us. If you vote for other, then make it within in reason and somewhere that is relatively near any of the other options please.

firstly,you sad fucker secondly sri lanka but go to the south .

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Phillipines is supposed to be good.

How much money do you have? If f***ing loads then hop on a plane to either Argentina or Colombia. If not much then do the Phillipines.

Windels

Jan 15, 2011
Tunbridge Wells
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. We have enough money for these countries, but nowhere near enough to get to South America. And flying home isn't an issue because, we a will still be flying home from Singapore whatever happens. Yeah we are not really into the touristy areas, so Indonesia isn't as appealing because of all of the Aussie's in Bali etc. Phillipines has the Palawan Islands which sound awesome, maybe to hire a boat or something, and Sri Lanka sounds really good too, so I suppose its more of a toss up between Sri Lanka and The Phillipines.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. Yeah we are not really into the touristy areas, so Indonesia isn't as appealing because of all of the Aussie's in Bali etc. .

:jester:

Have you ever looked at a MAP, to see how BIG Indonesia is? You could spend ten years there without seeing an Aussie tourist, if you wanted to!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Have you ever looked at a MAP, to see how BIG Indonesia is? You could spend ten years there without seeing an Aussie tourist, if you wanted to!

Agree – off the beaten track in Indonesia beats Sri Lanka in my book, having done both.

Never been to Philipines, so can't comment.

Windels

Jan 15, 2011
Tunbridge Wells

Yeah I know how big it is, but you have to consider that I will need to be flying in and out of an International airport So given that I only have three weeks to spend there, at least a few days either side of the trip will be spent in the touristy areas and getting out of them. I know this applies to all of the places, but I am guessing its harder to travel within Indonesia and Phillipines because they are both made up of Islands. But maybe I am wrong...

Windels

Jan 15, 2011
Tunbridge Wells
Is it easy enough to get between Islands within Indonesia? And has anyone here been to East Timor? Because that is another option from Indonesia

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Is it easy enough to get between Islands within Indonesia? And has anyone here been to East Timor? Because that is another option from Indonesia

I went to East Timor. But a while back when it was still occupied by Indonesia and not an independent state. Was very laid back and quiet. But as I say it was a few years ago.

I spent 6 months in Indonesia and didn't see half of it, so with three weeks I'd concentrate on one or two islands (most of which have few Australians on them).

Sri Lanka is small enough you can pretty much do most things in 3 weeks. But my visit there was also many years ago.

On the other hand I was in The Philippines 3 weeks ago. Busuanga (north of Palawan) is lovely.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I am guessing its harder to travel within Indonesia and Phillipines because they are both made up of Islands. But maybe I am wrong...

When I was out there in both countries on a long backpacking trip we took ferries everywhere. Time-consuming but easy - although still risky even these days. A few days before I was recently in Busuanga, the ferry from El Nido (Palawan) capsized. Fortunately no one died on that occasion, but I met a few of the survivors and it sounded like a pretty grim deal.

I can't vouch for Indonesia these days, but the Philippines has several good value budget airlines as a quick way to get around. I flew on Cebu Pacific and Zest Air a couple of time with no problems -- they were both cheap and they fly real planes (ie Airbuses and 737s, not Tupelovs...). SEAir and Airphil Express looked OK as well.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I suggest the Philippines, but thats because I'm from there. It is a brilliant country away from the westernised city centres.

I recommend Borocay Island if you can get there. Very short flight from Manila.

Ive only been Bali, Lombok and Gili Islands in Indonesia, they are also stunning

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
me and my girlfriend trekked around sri lanka for about 3 weeks a few years ago.. was very nice and would definitely go back . as others have said fly into columbo and skip thewest coast and head straight down to galle and particularly unawatuna (very nice) . we stayed in a little hotel called the banana garden . you can eat your breakfast and if the tide is in it will hit the front of the hotel . from there we went all along the south coast stopping at little places we liked on route. we went via tuk tuk and it was cheap. we stopped in a place called mirissa (we named our daughter after the place) but that was badly damaged by the tsunami , id imagine it will be rebuilt now. there are no big hotels just little b and b things. we also stayed in a place called palm paradise cabanas. cant remembr where that was but it was lovely . we then went on to the dry zone which is the south east corner. a lot of desert and deserted beaches but dangerous surf. you can do a safari there but it wasnt all that. we then went in land to kandy then back to columbo stopping at the elephant sanctuary on route (pinnewella). if we had more time we would have gone round to the east coast which is very of the beaten track with huge waves if you like surfing. ill put some pics up in a bit.

so sri lanka - amazing place.

next year we may go to tthe phillipines and particularly to palawan but our daughter will be 6 by then so not sure if she'll be old enough. did a bit of digging around re phillipines and i reckon youd have a n amazing time there too.

have fun

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I recommend Borocay Island if you can get there. Very short flight from Manila.

Quite a shocking comparison between my first visit (early 90s) when there was no electricity - and this January, when White Beach was lined with bars and discos (mainly full of Korean tourists, not Australians), but still a beatiful island.

If you want to sleep at night I'd recommend staying on the east side of the island where it's quieter. This place where I stayed (Flora East Boracay) recently opened, and is probably outside your (Windel's) budget range, but it is fantastic, and I'm contractually obliged to recommend it because - er - I co-own it... :thumbsup:

But there are still plenty of cheaper backpacker hangouts if you look...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here