Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When to take kids to football

smalldino

Feb 25, 2009
Littlehampton
I am trying to persuade my 5 year old daughter to come to football with daddy when she turns to me tonight and asks "If i come daddy will those men shout out those rude things like "poo and shut up and stinky wee head"

So 2 points really.

1. Is 5 to young to take a child to a game

and

2. If i take her can you all not say the above 3 phrases. That would be brilliant.

Thanks a lot

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Taking a five year old girl to a football match at Withdean would count as some form of emotional abuse, according to Kidscape and the Local Safeguarding Children Board, surely? Would put her off for life.

Better to take her shopping and buy her a lovely Charlie and Lola book to read together.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

smalldino

Feb 25, 2009
Littlehampton
Taking a five year old girl to a football match at Withdean would count as some form of emotional abuse, according to Kidscape and the Local Safeguarding Children Board, surely? Would put her off for life.

Better to take her shopping and buy her a lovely Charlie and Lola book to read together.

no i cant do that as she doesnt like the same books as me and charlie and lola are my favourite at the moment

brighton1990

Dec 19, 2009
i went to my first game with my old man when i was 8 at Gillingham on boxing day v Colcester 3-1 down at half time ended 4-4 still the best game i have ever seen.

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The younger they start the better. I've taken all 5 of my kids since thet were about 2 months old! 4 are now season ticket holders at Withdean, and we're all off to Torquay on Saturday.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I stRyed to take my son when he was 5( now 7) and he now bleeds blue and White and goes to games home and away.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Took my son to his first game when he was 4. He has been scarred for life and is now an Albion season ticket holder!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I have a young sister who i occasionally take to games. Always sit in the family stand and normally on go to summer games, more enjoyable.

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
I am trying to persuade my 5 year old daughter to come to football with daddy when she turns to me tonight and asks "If i come daddy will those men shout out those rude things like "poo and shut up and stinky wee head"

So 2 points really.

1. Is 5 to young to take a child to a game

and

2. If i take her can you all not say the above 3 phrases. That would be brilliant.

Thanks a lot

I currently take my 3 and 5 year old the the games and can advise on the following.

1) 5 is not too young
2) no swearing in family stand so go there. Get signed up as a junior gull and you can get free tickets to try it out
3) wait for some decent weather, taking them in the family stand in the rain is no fun for them.
4) kids seem to love the banter with the gully and other mascots
5) take 95 minutes worth of sweets, that way you get to watch the game.

Good luck!

luke17

Oct 9, 2003
I wouldnt take a kid to football unless they wanted to come, chances are she'd get bored and spoil your day by playing up, best bet is to take her to a Non League game Worthing, Bognor where 'if' she did get bored she could run around with all the other kids that go. I know if i had a kid i wouldnt take them until they were about 8 so they can appreciate and remember the football, 5/6 is a bit too young.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
wait till falmer, even if we are still shit, she won't get soaked and will see a nice stadium, so might want to go again!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Started my first daughter off with a trip to Watford aged 4, my son's first game was at Crewe last year (he's 4 as well). Whilst they don't really understand what's going on at that age, they both enjoyed the experience. My advice would be to pick a good day weather wise, and take her to see if she enjoys it.....then let her tell you when she wants to go again.

My daughter is 8 now, and although we can't go every week due to where we live (and what I do for a living!) she really enjoys her football.....NF is her favourite player and she can't stand Crystal Palace (I can't think where she got that from ;) )

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I took my daughter for her first game at 5 and she quite enjoyed it and has come back for a few more. Strangely, now she's 6 she's less interested - who knows what's happened in 18 months?

My son went to his first game at 3 - but that was too young. I'm going to take him to the Millwall game (as that's mummy's and grandad's team) and see how he goes. He prefers rugby when it's on the telly though - I think I'll take him to a rugby match next year to see how he gets on with that.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Strangely, now she's 6 she's less interested - who knows what's happened in 18 months?

She'll probably have fully grown out of watching the Albion and will be wanting to go to a Hannah Montana concert instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here