Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When is the best time to sack a manager?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
It strikes me that whenever you call for a manager's head someone will always pipe up "It will be worse if we sack him now".

Well when is the best time to sack a manager?

As soon as possible? But this is not always feasible as any manager will need a chance to 'gel' with his players and the players need time to get used to the new ways.

Late in the season when it seems that all hope is lost? Is it better to get someone new in to work with the team in a competative atmosphere in preparation for the next season. Pre-season is really waste of time.

Or should managers NEVER be sacked?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
4.45 Satdee afternoon.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
A very difficult one. We had 6 defeats in a row last season but still pulled through.
Sometimes it has a good effect and sometimes makes things worse.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Invite a manager into your own bath. When he arrives, cover your balls and cock-part and accuse him of wanting to frequently watch you getting cleaner.
Then it's either sac or sack him. Simple.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
We'll, if I were making the decision, here would be my criteria

1) Have we given them enough time to realistically form his own team
2) Does he have the experience to recover the situation
3) Has he lost the dressing room
4) Would replacing the manager save us from relegation
5) Is there anyone else that could do a better job
6) If you are going to replace someone, you need to maximise their potential, ie ideally give them the whole of pre-season to plan and rebuild
7) Is the current manager meeting the financial control targets set by the board

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hard to say as most of our decent managers walk :down:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Usually, when a team sack a manager, their results, if only for a few games, improve.

Therefore, it could be argued that now we be a great time to sack MM.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
They didn't when we sacked Hinsh.
We won 2 out of the next 11 games.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
All these Magoo in people.

Do you think we should get rid of Magoo if we go down, or do you wanna keep him until he or the club dies? Whichever is sooner.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Virgo's Haircut said:

Do you think we should get rid of Magoo if we go down, or do you wanna keep him until he or the club dies? Whichever is sooner.

Why would the club die if we keep McGhee ?

I would sack the Manager if he had lost the dressing room and the confidence of the players.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Virgo's Haircut said:

Another intelligent post from the McGhee out crowd. I think you will find that McGhee has done a lot to keep the club going by selling £2.5 million worth of players over the last year and a half. But that matters little to people like you.

To answer the question, I would keep him if we are relegated. He has done a good job and deserves a chance at getting us back up. I would not even mind a season in mid table of League 1 next year. The only time I would sack McGhee is if we were in the bottom 6 of League 1 at or after the halfway point of next season. People forget how much other teams spend on transfers compared to us and how hard it is to compete. We have already stayed in the Championship for a season on top of what I thought was likely after we won the play offs so this year is a bonus.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Finchley Seagull said:
I think you will find that McGhee has done a lot to keep the club going by selling £2.5 million worth of players over the last year and a half. But that matters little to people like you.

Is this a joke post?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Goring Gull said:
In the Albions case now and not a minute to soon in my opinion.

Hello cheerful chops.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here