Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did Grounds become Stadiums

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The Goldstone Ground was always a Ground. As was the Baseball Ground to name but one of the many others.

Yet all new homes appear to now be Stadiums. Walkers Stadium, St Marys Stadium, The Stadium of Light and of course The AMEX Stadium.

What happened to the Grounds or other names like Roker Park, Maine Road etc. Where's the originality gone?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Wembley was always a stadium.
I think a lot of the grounds that used to be Something Park were originally in a park of the same name - obviously this wouldn't happen now.

Sep 1, 2010
Wembley was always a stadium.
I think a lot of the grounds that used to be Something Park were originally in a park of the same name - obviously this wouldn't happen now.

How do you explain Palace's place not being called Selhurst Dogging area then?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When all-seater came in, thats when grounds became more commonly referred to as stadiums. I LIKE the word 'stadium'.

Sta-di-ummmm.

Mmmm. Nice.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You still can't beat The Dripping Pan. Does anywhere else have a Pan?
No, but I'm sure if they ever got promoted beyond their means (it's happened before...), it would be re-named 'The Dripping Pan STADIUM'.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Does it matter, it's just a name. At the end of the day, the Goldstone was always a football stadia as were most 'grounds' with stands of some sort. Not really worth getting that hung up about.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
No, but I'm sure if they ever got promoted beyond their means (it's happened before...), it would be re-named 'The Dripping Pan STADIUM'.

If they did get promoted that far you would think they could afford something more than dripping...maybe the butter dish arena!

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
The Goldstone Ground was always a Ground. As was the Baseball Ground to name but one of the many others.

Yet all new homes appear to now be Stadiums. Walkers Stadium, St Marys Stadium, The Stadium of Light and of course The AMEX Stadium.

What happened to the Grounds or other names like Roker Park, Maine Road etc. Where's the originality gone?

completely pointless

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here